Thread: Pagers??

Forum Member

Post Pagers??

I have a Question to the members who don't think that junior/explorers need pagers.
    i agree that if under 18 you shouldnt leave school but how would you know to go to a fire/mva if you didnt have a pager.

isnt the best training "on scene" so to speak on scene i mean isnt that why there are junior programs

Forum Member

There are to many risks in having more people, especially those that are still in school (under 18) at certain scenes (especially MVA's). As a former Explorer for three years, and now as a firefighter on the department I was an explorer on, explorers really shouldn't be called out to MVA's. When I was an explorer we were called to put trucks back in service (roll hose, clean, etc...) and also to sandbag ponds. A MVA is to dangerous of a scene (especially on a highway) to have to take into account a bunch of explorers. Also, even a house fire is hectic enough with other departments there on mutual aid (assuming you live in a small town), however it is more probable to call Explorer's to a house fire in order to perform medical duties (Blood pressure type things) as well as change out SCBA's.

So the short answer is no, explorer's should not be given pagers. They should have a phone tree which will be started if the Explorers are in fact needed at a scene.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nfddrew View Post
    I have a Question to the members who don't think that junior/explorers need pagers.
    i agree that if under 18 you shouldnt leave school but how would you know to go to a fire/mva if you didnt have a pager.

isnt the best training "on scene" so to speak on scene i mean isnt that why there are junior programs
    While I do not agree with Juniors leaving school I am all for them being on scene, granted they are supervised properly.

But my question to you is what is the "on scene" training you plan on doing. You cannot operate the tools for extrication on an MVC, You cannot do interior so your not training much there, most dept's do not allow Juniors to respond to medicals so your not gaining anything there. What really will you learn other than watching exterior ops and persons operating tools?

If they are going to let you respond, they should issue you a pager if there is enough. If they can issue scanners than do that as well. It's all about what they can afford and have in stock to give you. If your dept does not give you a pager all I can say is suck it up and deal with it.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Explorer's shouldn't have pagers. They aren't part of the FD, they're boy scouts. When they turn 16 and become Juniors, or go active, then they should be given a pager.

And I don't think it matters what the call is, if the Explorer's and Junior's show up, if they're allowed to ride, they should ride. Just because it's an MVA they shouldn't be told not to come. The only thing Explorer's aren't allowed to respond to here are FAST calls because they're out of town, and the boy scout insurance won't cover them out of town.

@ Smerri, you're making it sound like there's going to be hoards of Explorer's on a scene. Maybe we have 2-3 Exps/Jrs showing up with the first 2 due pieces. 1 per truck is the usual attendance. It's not like there's a lot to watch there. Also, Explorer's (at least here) are to stay with the driver and the truck unless the officer says otherwise. So they shouldn't be dashing across the street to get stuff off the truck.

Also, if traffic's that bad at a crash, the police or fire police should be directing traffic down side streets, or limiting the flow, closing the street if necessary.

Forum Member

But my question to you is what is the "on scene" training you plan on doing. You cannot operate the tools for extrication on an MVC, You cannot do interior so your not training much there, most dept's do not allow Juniors to respond to medicals so your not gaining anything there. What really will you learn other than watching exterior ops and persons operating tools?
    'Training' might not have been the best word choice, but I know what he means. More like experience. You're actually there seeing what's going on, noticing what tools are needed for what types of calls, what the truck/engine positions are, etc. Learning what goes on at a fire scene is helpful, and one of the best things an Exp/Jr can learn in those few years. That way, when they're FF1, they know what's going on, and it's not new to them. They're been there before, they've seen the house with flames coming out, and they know what needs to be done. They see the crashed car, and know what tools to grab.

That kind of stuff can be taught in a classroom in a powerpoint, but nothing teaches one like actually seeing it be done right when it's really needed on a call.

Forum Member

I suppose so. I figured you would know the answer, I just wanted to see what HE had to say about it.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 08-12-2007 at 04:11 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

I totally disagree with the Smerri's post.

Younger members of an organization are the future of that organization. Explorers or Jr Firefighters are not hose humbers there to do our dirty work. While their safety is the number one concern, filling their heads with skill and knowledge to one day do the job is also crucial. There are jobs on the fire ground that can be accomplished by explorers. You need to make young people feel apart of the fire service. No one wants to be anyones maid. The quickest way to push young people away from the fire service is to treat them like second class members. It is the job of EVERY firefighter (probie or seasoned) to pitch in and keep the station and apparatus clean, stocked and in working order.

I don't believe that explorers should be leaving school. You need to create a time frame from which it is exceptable for the explorer to participate in the fire department. No one should be letting an explorer be put into harms way on the fire ground. Explorers should NOT be packing up and going in. But young people are not dumb, for the most part they understand their limitations. I hope that todays fire service does not disappoint them and leave them on the side lines to clean up.

They Key to any good Jr Firefighter or Explorer program is a knowledgable and experiences preceptor. This person needs to be solely dedicated to the safety and needs of the explorer. Soemtimes in volunteer departments this is difficult with minimal staffing of engines.

The bottom line is... do not loose the interest of a Jr. firefighters or explorers by utilizing them to clean up our mess. Fill their heads with knowledge, and peek their interest in the fire service. Treat these young individuals for what they will be one day, WELL TRAINED, AND HIGHLY SKILLED FIREFIGHTERS. Who knows one day you may even be calling them CHIEF....

Forum Member

I suppose so. I figured you would know the answer, I just wanted to see what HE had to say about it.
    Oh... hehehe... my bad. Guess I shouldn't have made that post. Another whooops on the day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
    Oh... hehehe... my bad. Guess I shouldn't have made that post. Another whooops on the day.
    Hey, It happens man. No big deal

Ryan

Forum Member

currently I am the ONLY junior in my dept and i have a minitor 5 pager and run all the calls we have i am the "gopher" on scene i can do everything but interior ff and extrication and i have gained so much experince so far, that becomes helpful in my training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nfddrew View Post
    currently I am the ONLY junior in my dept and i have a minitor 5 pager and run all the calls we have i am the "gopher" on scene i can do everything but interior ff and extrication and i have gained so much experince so far, that becomes helpful in my training.
    So what exactly was the point of this thread?

I thought you were one of these guys that didn't have anything wanting to know about how you should find out about calls.

Ryan

Forum Member

Explorer's shouldn't have pagers. They aren't part of the FD, they're boy scouts. When they turn 16 and become Juniors, or go active, then they should be given a pager.
    Just for clarification, that's not how it is everywhere... here, you're an Explorer whether you're 14 of 18 years old. At many (not all) departments in my area, you can be a firefighter at 18 years old.

We're supposed to be issued pagers after our 6-month probie period for the Post is up... but only one of our guys has a pager (RFRDxplorer) due to all the batteries being shot. I don't care whether I get one or not. If we ever get called out, we'll get a phone call and we have a 1/2 hour to get to the station. I have a scanner... that's plenty for me for now. If there's a possibility for me to get one, I probably will, but I don't need it.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

When they turn 16 and become Juniors, or go active, then they should be given a pager.
    Maybe I mis worded that. I meant at 16 (I think that's the minimum age for a Jr everywhere) they should get a pager. Or if they join and are an active firefighter (irregardless of age) they should get a pager.

Sorry for the discrepancy.

Forum Member

Maybe I mis worded that. I meant at 16 (I think that's the minimum age for a Jr everywhere) they should get a pager. Or if they join and are an active firefighter (irregardless of age) they should get a pager.

Sorry for the discrepancy.
    Don't worry about it. It's ok... I was just wanted to clarify... that's all.
    No need to apologize.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    We're supposed to be issued pagers after our 6-month probie period for the Post is up... but only one of our guys has a pager (RFRDxplorer) due to all the batteries being shot.
    The only reason that I have one is because its not from the post.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    What did you do, beat someone up and take theirs.

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    What did you do, beat someone up and take theirs.
    SHHHHHHHHH! OR I'll Beat you up and take your pager too!

muahhahahahhaha

QuAck

It was an old department pager and when they got 2's, this was given to a Lt, who then gave it to his son when he became an explorer, when the officers got 3's, he gave the 2 to his son, and his son (my friend) gave me the one.

Now everyone has 4's or 5's.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I know that... I just didn't feel like explaining that. Now that I think about it, it would have helped... sort of.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

SHHHHHHHHH! OR I'll Beat you up and take your pager too!

muahhahahahhaha

QuAck
    BWAHAHA. Joke's on you buddy, I don't even have a pager at the moment!

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    BWAHAHA. Joke's on you buddy, I don't even have a pager at the moment!
    FINE I DIDNT WANT YOUR CRAPPY PAGER ANYWAYS!

But when you get it let me know..................

Forum Member

FINE I DIDNT WANT YOUR CRAPPY PAGER ANYWAYS!

But when you get it let me know..................
    Sounds good man

QUACK!

Ryan

Thread Information