Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Two Smith County Firefighters Lost

Breaking news: Two East Texas firefighters killed
    KETK News
    By Steve Mullenax
    By Bob Brackeen

FLINT - An early morning fire has unfolded into a tragic turn of events for many of our local firefighters. Two Noonday firefighters were killed while trying put out a house fire.

"When they come to a fire like this they never know whats going to happen, they are important in our community," said Sue Spasic, a witness.

Two other volunteer firefighters were injured and taken to the hospital.

"I did see the fireman taken, the one fireman carrying the one fireman to the ambulence," Spasic said.

The two brave men have been identified as Kevin Williams, 42, and Austin Cheek, 20. The Smith County Fire Marshal says Williams and Cheek entered the home to help fellow firefighters.

"They lost contact with the two firefighters inside the structure, the rapid intervention team entered the structure to make sure the two firefighters were okay," said Jim Seaton, Smith County Fire Marshal.

Seaton says thats when the roof collaped while the firefighters were inside.

"Shortly upon entering the structure they had a structural collape, which trapped the two firefighters that had entered and also I believe the two firefighters inside," he said.

The fire started at around 1:45 in the moring off FM 2493 in Flint. Noonday and Bullard firefighters were called out to help battle the blaze.

For now, firefighters are coming together as one family; helping one another cope with this tragic loss.

"Its going to be a very devistaing not only to the individual volunteer fire department, Noonday, the loss of two firefighters and Flint/ Gresham firefighters, and just for volunteers firefighters not only in this county but throughout the state and the nation," said Seaton.

The fire is still under investigation. Watch KETK 56 News at Five and Six for further details as this story unfolds.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

My sincerest condolences to the community, the department and the families of the brave souls who perished while performing an often times thankless job.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Default It hurts!

I was one of the command officers at this call! It hurts that we lost these brave men! I know that the healing will begin, and that each day will get a little better to bear. I realize that all of us are picking ourselves to death wondering what we did wrong, I truly feel that we all did what we were trained to do. It is a tragic turn of events that left all of us with a large empty space. My deepest condolences go to the families of these two and the Noonday VFD.
    The Flint/Gresham VFD and my own dept. of Bullard are hurting as well, we were there!

Stay Safe, Keith Chief Bullard VFD Bullard, TX

my condolences to the families and friends of these 2 fallen bros.may they rest in peace.they did the ultimate sacrifice.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Quote Originally Posted by keith123 View Post
    I was one of the command officers at this call! It hurts that we lost these brave men! I know that the healing will begin, and that each day will get a little better to bear. I realize that all of us are picking ourselves to death wondering what we did wrong, I truly feel that we all did what we were trained to do. It is a tragic turn of events that left all of us with a large empty space. My deepest condolences go to the families of these two and the Noonday VFD.
    The Flint/Gresham VFD and my own dept. of Bullard are hurting as well, we were there!

Stay Safe, Keith Chief Bullard VFD Bullard, TX
    my deepest sympathy to you and your crews,you did your best.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

deepest sympathy and condolences

RFB

Default RIP Brothers

It is with a heavy heart I send the prayers and best wishes of our family of former, present and future firefighters to the families, friends and co-workers of Kevin Williams and Austin Cheek, two of America's Bravest, at this time of thier tragic passing.

May the Good Lord lift them upon high and send His loving comfert to all those mourning these losses.

Rest and Peace, Brothers.
    America's Volunteer Firefighters -- Putting the Wet Stuff on the Red Stuff since 1736.

"To make rescues fast, pull on past. Don't get stuck, because you blocked the truck."

"The reason Smokey Bear had no children? Every time his wife got hot, he beat her with a shovel."

"It's quite simple, really. You call, we come. Nothing to it. Whether you really need us or not, we'll come, because you called. That's what we do."

RTF

Thread Information