Thread: Jr. Training

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Jr. Training

I come in here to ask you, junior members, what kind of training do you like to see? SCBA's, tools, ropes, etc. Enlighten me. I'm trying to come up with somethings that our Junior members can do and that will keep them interested. Figured I'd ask some Junior members what you think...Thanks
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Forum Member

I find that doing search and rescue drills are fun. Medical drills like back boarding patients. basic medical skills. Getting the explorers to have a first aid card would be good if you can pull it off. Helping with community events. Hose drills are fun too. Ladders, ventilation, forcible entry. I guess this is more of a list of things we do. But all of it is fun. and helpful. Mainly the medical drills. That way you can possibly get the explorers to help at first aid stations during major public events. Sorry if it is a little hard to read. Hope it helps.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbutter y t0ast" - DFurtman

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Thanks the link was a big help.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain

No problem

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I'd have to agree with t0asty about SAR practice especially if you are a volunteer dept. I just recently applied to a jr. dept but i was a Rescue Squad explorer for 3 yrs prior and packaging and SAR were our top trainings. Vehicle extrication is fun for me cause i like the jaws. using different senerios also helps like a car on its side or top.

Forum Member

A few "big things" if they are going to be active in day to day operations or riding along would be for them to know the apparatus, your SOP/SOGs, and the basic fire ground tools that are used.

There's also FEMA training that can be done online, or presented in a classroom form. You can use this as "filler" material on rainy days / nites or give them a project to increase their knowledge between meetings, etc. It gives them a good base to build off of if they are interested in going to school for Emergency Management, Fire Science, etc. Most of the FEMA courses can be applied to various community colleges and you can receive credits toward a degree as well.

Perhaps get yourself a copy of the curriculum your area uses in their firefighter classes. You can build good drills out of that curriculum for the junior members to do. The EMT textbooks usually have drills built in for single rescuer, pairs of rescuers, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

I have never done this but you could try like a scenario type thing. For example= Get a reserve engine and let the explorers put their gear on it. Then tell them to go into a building near by with a radio. Set up diffrent siturations in a training tower like somebody trapped in a car, a man trapped on a roof and you have to lower him down by ropes. And then get on the radio and have them respond. Have a vetern fire fighter drive the rig. And when they get there just supervize them and let them do the work and let them make the desions. But if you see them doing something wrong that might put themselves in danger, inform them of that and tell them the right way. Then keep doing that with diffrent types of calls.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    I come in here to ask you, junior members, what kind of training do you like to see? SCBA's, tools, ropes, etc. Enlighten me. I'm trying to come up with somethings that our Junior members can do and that will keep them interested. Figured I'd ask some Junior members what you think...Thanks
    Hey man, its Tator. Havin fun in Rehomo?

Basically, when i was a junior, I enjoyed doing the same drill the black hats were doing, whether it be going over trucks, hydrant ops, DSFS classes.... whatever it happened to be.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Default JR training.

I like to take part in searches, and ladder operations. I love getting in there all packed up, in a smoke filled environments searching for "rescue Randy". I don't like training with other JR's, I think its more beneficial going in 1 on 1 with a senior member, that way you can get more 1 on 1 instructions instead of having a group of several JRs and 1 or 2 SR members.

I love ladder suff, such as throwing up a ladder then carrying tools up or advancing hose into a window. I think ladder work is great for JRs.

MembersZone Subscriber

As a Chief, I like to see the kids take some useful skills with them after they finish with this type of a program too.

First Aid is number one. Ladder and tool skills are very useful later in life as well. They should get the skills to help lug lines, etc, on a big scene too. The won't all become FF's, but they can use a lot of what they learn in the backyard or the job site too.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tbonetrexler View Post
    Hey man, its Tator. Havin fun in Rehomo?

Basically, when i was a junior, I enjoyed doing the same drill the black hats were doing, whether it be going over trucks, hydrant ops, DSFS classes.... whatever it happened to be.
    Not the 55 tator!..lol Are you stalkin me?! HAHAHA.

I've been put in charge of the jr. members. I just want them to get a little extra training on the little stuff that they can learn while waiting on training with the black hats. So far so good. Though they weren't too wild about the rules I laid on them...lol

Thread Information