Thread: Webbing

makes good girls go bad

Default Webbing

Where do you keep yours, how much do you have, and what method do you store it (eg daisy chain, rolled, pre rigged to do a specific task)
    Our gear does not have the removable knee pads, and its a PIA to try to wrestle with SCBA straps to get it out of coat pocket.
    So, where and how do you keep yours?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

I have 12 ft. of Sterling webbing with the ends tied together with a water knot. I keep mine rolled in my right hand pants pocket; I leave about a quarter of an inch hanging out. It isn't enough to get caught by anything, but still enough I can get my gloved hands on it.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

I have 2 sections of webbing that I carry. They both are about 15-20' long. I keep one of them rolled up in a medical glove with a loop hanging out for easy access. I keep the one in the medical glove on the same side of my bunker pants pocket as my rope bag,along with my wire cutters.

Forum Member

I carry two lengths, 12' flat webbing. Currently, both are tied in a Figure-8 variation of the water knot. One of these days, when I get off my azz and order some locking carabiners, one of them will have a 'biner at each end rather than the Fig-8.
    I keep one in my left pants pocket, and one in my left coat pocket...some reason, our BAs ride high enough on me that I can get into my coat pockets no problem.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

12' flat section. I have a locking caribeener on a figure 8, tied near the water knot. I can lock the beener onto the scba straps and use my legs and body to pull a downed firefighter, as this is the only reason I carry webbing.

If needed to hoist the injured member out, the beener gives the added ability to capture all passes over the member.

I keep it in my left pant pocket. I am right handed and will be using that hand more to go over the other firefighters bottle. So I will use my left hand to pull the webbing out of the left pocket.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

The webbing I carry is a 60" sewn 1" loop. I keep it in my right pants pocket on top of my rope bailout bag. Thsi allows me to get to it if i need it as a drag device or if i need to use it as an anchor. My intent though is that if I ever use it, its probably going to be a drag/utility purpose, as looping around something for a bailout might take precious seconds I dont have.

Forum Member

35' roll in my right pants pocket. don't even notice it's there anymore. It's small and easy to put back in place. Pull it out, drop it or throw it, it's ready for use.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I was wondering if the members on here that keep the webbing and their escape packs in the right pants leg pocket have SCOTT airpacks? If so why are you keeping it in your right pants pocket?

We were always taught and teach that if there is an emergency of any type that you must maintain control of your regulator, which is on your left side. So were something to knock you to the ground or what not you need to roll to your right side so that your left is up to protect your regulator and air supply. If you do this you will be laying on your escape pack. If it is on the left side you will have access to it. Just a few thoughts to ponder. You are free to disagree.

Forum Member

Ok, I'm confused. The regulator is clipped into my mask. The hose travels along the strap. What's on the left that I need to keep up in the air?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Your air hose runs back to your pack along the left side of your air pack. You need to keep that hose free of entanglements.

Ok another example if you breach a wall and have to remove your pack to fit through again you maintain control of that left air pack strap. This gives your more length on your air line, but it allows you to keep your air supply line safe and clear. Your high pressure regulators on your air pack are also on the left side.

Your left side is always taught as your lifeline.

If this doesn't work for you, so be it.

Forum Member

Breaching a wall and keeping the line "longer" makes sense. Laying on my side, unable to reach into a pocket on the right side, doesn't.

No big deal.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFDLT1 View Post
    I was wondering if the members on here that keep the webbing and their escape packs in the right pants leg pocket have SCOTT airpacks? If so why are you keeping it in your right pants pocket?

We were always taught and teach that if there is an emergency of any type that you must maintain control of your regulator, which is on your left side. So were something to knock you to the ground or what not you need to roll to your right side so that your left is up to protect your regulator and air supply. If you do this you will be laying on your escape pack. If it is on the left side you will have access to it. Just a few thoughts to ponder. You are free to disagree.
    ........... maybe most people are right handed and want to reach straight down to grab it.

. I have a 22ft piece of one inch rated webbing with a water knot to make a loop rolled and in a medical glove. There's also a biner on it. The glove keeps it together and flat and can easily be ripped off to deploy the webbing. It's in T.O. pants pocket.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GFDLT1 View Post
    Your air hose runs back to your pack along the left side of your air pack. You need to keep that hose free of entanglements.

Ok another example if you breach a wall and have to remove your pack to fit through again you maintain control of that left air pack strap. This gives your more length on your air line, but it allows you to keep your air supply line safe and clear. Your high pressure regulators on your air pack are also on the left side.

Your left side is always taught as your lifeline.

If this doesn't work for you, so be it.
    I learned right for rescue. Just another way of thinking. I only subscribe to the right pocket because I am right handed. You have to remember, no matter how much someone sells you a concept like this, there will be the possibility you'll be in a situation that the other way you didnt choose to follow would have worked. It comes down to what works best for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    I learned right for rescue. Just another way of thinking. I only subscribe to the right pocket because I am right handed. You have to remember, no matter how much someone sells you a concept like this, there will be the possibility you'll be in a situation that the other way you didnt choose to follow would have worked. It comes down to what works best for you.
    KISS-

Whatever side your PASS or COMPASS is on, lay on the opposite side, so your PASS is up and more audible.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Left hand death grip! I have a 24ft piece issued thats in a water knot. I would prefer a 30ft piece as its easier to tie up a stokes with it or make hasty harness. They are in my right pocket as I keep my tools in my left and my PSS rope is on all of our right hips.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    KISS-

Whatever side your PASS or COMPASS is on, lay on the opposite side, so your PASS is up and more audible.
    Good idea, as long as you can choose how you are trapped.

Forum Member

I have 14' tubular in my left cargo pocket in a daisy chain. Water knot on one end (makes it into a sling) biner on the other end. Can clip into airpack for FF or just use as a sling to pull people out. Once I get on the dept will throw another in the gear for dedicated use as harness if things get bad..................or maybe by then I'll have one on my turnouts. (Did a window bail with some FDNY guys at FH Expo in a GEMTOR harness and it was awesome)
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

I carry about 20' with a water knot in both ends and a biner. It's rolled up and in my right hand pants pocket. It's in that pocket because I'm right handed and that's the first side I reach for.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    KISS-

Hmmm, regulator hose on the left side, PASS on the right side. If I'm keeping my hose up and free, I'm covering my PASS. If I'm keeping my PASS up, I'm risking damage/entaglement to the hose.

Screw it, I'm laying on my belly so everyone can KMA!

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Hmmm, regulator hose on the left side, PASS on the right side. If I'm keeping my hose up and free, I'm covering my PASS. If I'm keeping my PASS up, I'm risking damage/entaglement to the hose.

Screw it, I'm laying on my belly so everyone can KMA!

Bones you do have a point. If you PASS is intigrated in your SCBA then the actual devise where the noise comes from is at the base of your SCBA bottle in the bracket on SCOTTS. So assuming the KMA position would allow your PASS device to be heard the loudest.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have about 30ft of webbing put into a loop via a locking caribeaner, rolled and put in a rubber glove in my right pants pocket. having it in a loop makes it good for a quick drag device, and if i need more webbing i can just unhook one of the sides from the beaner

MembersZone Subscriber

1- 30 ft. length made into 15 ft. loop with beener kept in pants pocket.
    1 - 3 ft. loop in coat pocket.
    IACOJ - Senior Jake

Thread Information