Thread: Wildwood

Keepin it real

Default Wildwood

It's that time again, little more than 30 days until the convention. What new things will they have? How much will the motels jack up the rates? Been down there a few times this year and still no new Motels/Hotels being built, but lots of condos. Looks like the area the tents are at has a new building on it or close to it. And as before, don't play the games on the boardwalk they are all rigged
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

Sr. Information Officer

Arrow

My opinion....Wildwood, and the Convention...is not worth me driving 3 plus hours...to be scammed by hotel owners, overcharged by restaurant owners...and amused by two bit equipment sales people.

Don't bother...stay home!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

It astounds me that this event is still in business. Aside from what Ed outlined, this weekend is an excuse for immature, low class members of the NJ fire service to get drunk and act like children. As I have said before, I have lost me share of brain cells in Wildwood, so I know exactly what I am talking about.

In addition, the organization running this event is worthless. Absolutely worthless. They do nothing to help the NJ fire service and they never have. This is an excuse for fat old guys, err, I'm sorry, delegates, to get a free vacation.

There are no "deals" on equipment. There are no training sessions. There is no useful purpose for going to this event. If you want to attend a worthwhile show, spend your money on one of the national shows. I have yet to see someone wearing a $30 "Fire Fighters Have Bigger Hoses" T-shirt at FDIC.

Keepin it real

Well this is my last year as a delegate and what we get for going to the meeting just about covers the motel cost. at least the stress of trying to find a room is over, the DFS should come in and run this affair instead of being a table handing out papers, they could have training classes and more instead of the side show that goes on.

No I can't call it a circus that would be giving a circus a bad name

9/11/01 NYC WTC

Forum Member

Delegate costs do not cover the cost of the motel for my Department, not even close. Although, I do know there are some Departments/Associations that make up the difference for their delegates. We've been in the same motel since the convention moved from A.C. to Wildwood. That has helped keep our rates a little lower, although the motel is planning on getting torn down and condos put in it's place, but that's been for the last 2 years and nothing definite yet (other than lots of advertising). We'll see.

The meetings, mostly a waste. The Memorial Service is usually well done. One Department sponsors a County Wide "social event" on the beach and that is good for seeing friends from around the County that I don't get to see as often anymore. Very little to see in the tents, but a couple of vendors to see face to face again. We are starting to research for a new truck, so time will be spent in the parking lots looking at 2007 changes.

I wish they would bring back FDIC East. The classes at that were very good. The "trade show" part of it was not.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rooms available

If anybody is looking for a place to stay (overpriced of course), check with the Montego Bay as our fire co will be turning back some rooms this year due to lack of interest for the reasons above.
    NCVFC17

MembersZone Subscriber

Agreed...I will also not be attending this year. Baltimore was a much more productive trip....
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Back In Black

I think you just have to realize what this is and what it isnt.

Some from my department go and have a good time. There is nothing wrong with that! It's a great time to hang out, relax and it encourages brotherhood. Brotherhood is essential to what we do.

For the most part, it is the only time most of us get together and have a beer (or beers). The rules the way they are now about alcohol (which I support 1000%) don't allow that kind of fun when we are in town.

Are there some bad apples in wildwood, yep. However, if you don't think that people party in Baltimore, then you must go to bed at 8pm!

If it's not your cup of tea, then don't go. But don't paint all with the same brush, that's not an informed point of view.

See you there and I'll buy you a beer.

Oh and as far as the DFS running it... good grief, no way! They can't even keep their website up to date.

Piney Power
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

Wow, how could you say that the Firefighters Convention in Wildwood is for immature firefighters that just want to get drunk? I think your ignorance blinds you.

The NJ Firefighters Convention is a great experience. I've been going there for several years even before I was a member of a fire department with my grandfather who's a retired firefighter. I've always had fun and been amused by the sights and events going on down there. I live about an hour or so away from there and it's always well worth going to. This year is going to be my first year going with my own fire department and I'm very much looking forward to it.

I paid little to nothing for my own hotel room and our company doesn't pay that much for hotels at all down there.

Yes, a lot of the firefighters drink alcohol, but it's not just a place for us to get drunk. That's just an ignorant statement. A lot of members go there to see new apparatus and gear as well as watch the parade as well as drink. My fire company doesn't have many young members besides myself so a lot of them are 40+ going down there with their families and they still drink. I'd honestly like you to say that statement to one of those men and see how far your ignorance gets you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PineyPower View Post
    Wow, how could you say that the Firefighters Convention in Wildwood is for immature firefighters that just want to get drunk? I think your ignorance blinds you.

The NJ Firefighters Convention is a great experience. I've been going there for several years even before I was a member of a fire department with my grandfather who's a retired firefighter. I've always had fun and been amused by the sights and events going on down there. I live about an hour or so away from there and it's always well worth going to. This year is going to be my first year going with my own fire department and I'm very much looking forward to it.

I paid little to nothing for my own hotel room and our company doesn't pay that much for hotels at all down there.

Yes, a lot of the firefighters drink alcohol, but it's not just a place for us to get drunk. That's just an ignorant statement. A lot of members go there to see new apparatus and gear as well as watch the parade as well as drink. My fire company doesn't have many young members besides myself so a lot of them are 40+ going down there with their families and they still drink. I'd honestly like you to say that statement to one of those men and see how far your ignorance gets you.
    I would have to say that I was going to Wildwood before you were even a sperm. I have been to at least as many conventions as you have been alive. I stand by my statements and I will most gladly tell anyone you would care to send in my direction just exactly what I think of this friggin' circus. Did I leave a mess of brain cells on the streets of Wildwood? You bet. But then I grew up and realized what this excuse for a two day binge drink is all about.

Here's a term paper topic for you, sonny. Research any historical source that you want and find me one, just one, truly important accomplishment of this band of has-beens. I mean one that is truly their own and not one that they corrupted from someone else.

Forum Member

My fire company doesn't have many young members besides myself so a lot of them are 40+ going down there with their families and they still drink. I'd honestly like you to say that statement to one of those men and see how far your ignorance gets you.
    I'm 40+ myself and going down there. Find me. I'll tell them to their face that the NJ Convention is a joke. I bet they will actually agree.

Look at your own post. What did you bring up as Great Things about the Convention? New trucks, new gear, parade. Not one mention of the purpose of the Convention at all....the meetings and "actions" taken at that. Thanks for proving our point.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Back In Black

The reality is that the relief assoc is in existence for some important reasons.. but most of the good is done at the local level. To say it's worthless is really not true.

There is also no denying that this large gathering is a great opportunity to remind the politicians that we are out there (and in large numbers).

I know that you old timers get around and surely you know it all.. hehehe, but it could be that some do find the experience to be fun and even walking through the tents filled with junky stuff and t-shirts could be fun for some? (I agree with you, that the tents are pretty worthless, but I still walk through and usually leave with the same $ I went in with, minus my donation).

Some departments can't afford to go to the other shows (which is a shame), so this might be the best place to go and see different types of apparatus and maybe pick up some personal equipment. Spend some time with other NJ Firefighters and just have fun.

I say lighten up!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    The reality is that the relief assoc is in existence for some important reasons.. but most of the good is done at the local level. To say it's worthless is really not true.

There is also no denying that this large gathering is a great opportunity to remind the politicians that we are out there (and in large numbers).

I know that you old timers get around and surely you know it all.. hehehe, but it could be that some do find the experience to be fun and even walking through the tents filled with junky stuff and t-shirts could be fun for some? (I agree with you, that the tents are pretty worthless, but I still walk through and usually leave with the same $ I went in with, minus my donation).

Some departments can't afford to go to the other shows (which is a shame), so this might be the best place to go and see different types of apparatus and maybe pick up some personal equipment. Spend some time with other NJ Firefighters and just have fun.

I say lighten up!
    Make no mistake. The local relief associations do a great job at the local level. In fact, they do ALL of their good work at the local level.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me about the good the reliefs do at the state convention.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I'm still waiting for someone to tell me about the good the reliefs do at the state convention.
    When was the last convention that you attended? Have you read the minutes from the last convention? The convention is to have certain business related issues voted on, elect representation, and discuss other matters. I know that in the past, the Fireman's Home in Boonton has been discussed (which I believe is pretty important!). So I guess the value of these things is in the eye of the beholder.

Before passing judgement, perhaps read some minutes or attend the convention.

Are you a member or delegate?

Thanks

Forum Member

The Firemens's home in Boonton is always discussed. They have a report by the Manager at each convention where he tells the status of the home and what events were held for the year.

But that was not what the discussion involving Firemen's homes was about, at least for the last 4 or 5 years. That discussion was about whether to create a second home, more towards the southern end of the state.

There has also been lots of proposals to changes in the Association bylaws, that are ~95% turned down, by the Association, as being against the bylaws. Yea, no kidding, it's against the bylaws to change the bylaws.

There has been lots of talk about how the local hotels/restaraunts/etc are gouging people with their prices, like the Association has any control over that.

There has also been lots of talk about how local associations want the State Association to increase the amount that Life Delagates receive for their convention expenses (I think there are 5 or 6 separate proposals for that this year alone).

I'm a Life Delegate, have been through the last 10 years worth of meetings. In that short time, there has been nothing of substance discussed/acted on at a meeting.

You want an example of the "Good Ole Boy's Club", take a long look at the State Associations activities.

Remember a couple years ago, when the President of the State Association, someone that should have a thorough background check, references, recommendations, etc. was elected from the floor during the meeting? Know why? Because it was someone finally different. And then they forced him out anyway.

MembersZone Subscriber

When was the last convention that you attended? Have you read the minutes from the last convention? The convention is to have certain business related issues voted on, elect representation, and discuss other matters. I know that in the past, the Fireman's Home in Boonton has been discussed (which I believe is pretty important!). So I guess the value of these things is in the eye of the beholder.

Before passing judgement, perhaps read some minutes or attend the convention.

Are you a member or delegate?

Thanks
    Please.

I grew up two blocks from the Fireman's Home. I know exactly what the home is all about. Probably about ten times more than you do. So here is my reaction to your post: The Fireman's Home will continue to operate as a first rate facility whether it is "discussed" at an idiotic convention or not.

The convention is to have certain business related issues voted on, elect representation, and discuss other matters.
    This is "mumbo-jumbo" that doesn't mean a thing or answer the question.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    The Firemens's home in Boonton is always discussed. They have a report by the Manager at each convention where he tells the status of the home and what events were held for the year.

But that was not what the discussion involving Firemen's homes was about, at least for the last 4 or 5 years. That discussion was about whether to create a second home, more towards the southern end of the state.

There has also been lots of proposals to changes in the Association bylaws, that are ~95% turned down, by the Association, as being against the bylaws. Yea, no kidding, it's against the bylaws to change the bylaws.

There has been lots of talk about how the local hotels/restaraunts/etc are gouging people with their prices, like the Association has any control over that.

There has also been lots of talk about how local associations want the State Association to increase the amount that Life Delagates receive for their convention expenses (I think there are 5 or 6 separate proposals for that this year alone).

I'm a Life Delegate, have been through the last 10 years worth of meetings. In that short time, there has been nothing of substance discussed/acted on at a meeting.

You want an example of the "Good Ole Boy's Club", take a long look at the State Associations activities.

Remember a couple years ago, when the President of the State Association, someone that should have a thorough background check, references, recommendations, etc. was elected from the floor during the meeting? Know why? Because it was someone finally different. And then they forced him out anyway.
    Exactly......

Back In Black

Please.

I grew up two blocks from the Fireman's Home. I know exactly what the home is all about. Probably about ten times more than you do. So here is my reaction to your post: The Fireman's Home will continue to operate as a first rate facility whether it is "discussed" at an idiotic convention or not.

This is "mumbo-jumbo" that doesn't mean a thing or answer the question.
    It's not mumbo jumbo, it's what is done at conventions, and a direct answer to the point raised. Just like my professional organization. We elect our leadership and vote/discuss items related to bylaws and other business related topics. To correct you, you can call it vague or even a generalization, but "mumbo jumbo", hardly.

Regarding the nursing home, I'm sure you think you know 10 times what everyone knows about everything, hence your reputation. Why waste all that knowledge talking to us mere mortals!?!? LOL

The discussion in the past has actually been about having a second fireman's home in the southern part of the state (which I support).

I don't know what you are expecting, but this is what I would consider typical of the other conventions I have been to. They are not there to discuss the latest topics on firefighting, that is not a convention, but a seminar or exposition.

Why so bitter?

Keepin it real

As for the Voting, we just had our pre-convention meeting and basically we have already been told how to vote on each item most are "NO" votes some are "YES" votes and a few are not even going to be voted on, that's my biggest problem that all we are doing there is going thru the motions of a meeting but the out-come is already set. Yes some people do bring up some worthwhile items but they are mostly pushed aside.

9/11/01 NYC WTC

MembersZone Subscriber

It's not mumbo jumbo, it's what is done at conventions, and a direct answer to the point raised. Just like my professional organization. We elect our leadership and vote/discuss items related to bylaws and other business related topics. To correct you, you can call it vague or even a generalization, but "mumbo jumbo", hardly.

Regarding the nursing home, I'm sure you think you know 10 times what everyone knows about everything, hence your reputation. Why waste all that knowledge talking to us mere mortals!?!? LOL

The discussion in the past has actually been about having a second fireman's home in the southern part of the state (which I support).

I don't know what you are expecting, but this is what I would consider typical of the other conventions I have been to. They are not there to discuss the latest topics on firefighting, that is not a convention, but a seminar or exposition.

Why so bitter?
    Just for the record, I have been a volunteer since 1976. You arenot talking to a kid who has no knowledge of the workings of the Relief Assoc. I said before and I will repeat it again: The local Releif Assoc. perform a vital function and generally perform very well.

The State Assoc. is a laughable joke. The convention is symptomatic of an organization that DOES NOTHING. If they look like they did something, they just jumped on some other organizations coattails. Bowman's right. The business is done at the caucus'. The convention is completely unnecessary.

As far as the Fireman's Home is concerned, I DO know 10 times more than you. As I said earlier, I grew up two blocks from there. I did not move until I was 25.

How many times have you been to the Fireman's Home? How many times have you responded to the Fireman's Home on a call? How many times have you drilled at the Fireman's Home? How many times have you come to the home to pick up one of your members to bring him to a meeting so he can spend time with the boys? How many times have you picked up members from the Fireman's Home and brought them to the Reviewing stand of a fireman's parade so that they could enjoy a beautiful day watching their brother's and sisters march. How many times have you come to the home to play Bingo with the guys? Screw bingo, how many times have you gone into the Home just to visit the guys?

You want to disagree with me about the convention, fine. But as far as the Fireman's Home is concerned you can shut up.

Back In Black

You want to disagree with me about the convention, fine. But as far as the Fireman's Home is concerned you can shut up.
    LOL, you really told me. Okay, you've established your credentials for the nursing home. You win. Not sure what your level of expertise regarding the Fireman's Home has to do with this debate, but hey you win that point.

Lighten up Frances.

MembersZone Subscriber

LOL, you really told me. Okay, you've established your credentials for the nursing home. You win. Not sure what your level of expertise regarding the Fireman's Home has to do with this debate, but hey you win that point.

Lighten up Frances.
    You brought it up, not me.

I know that in the past, the Fireman's Home in Boonton has been discussed (which I believe is pretty important!). So I guess the value of these things is in the eye of the beholder.

Sr. Information Officer

Arrow Your brain cells were destroyed by the Shamong wildfire

Quote Originally Posted by PineyPower View Post
    I think your inexperience precedes you. Imagine cramming 10,000 delegates into a convention hall that had a legal occupancy of 8,000...and having the fire marshall look the other way. Imagine thousands of firefighters staggering and/or walking up and down the boardwalk, wearing T-Shirts proclaiming how big their Johnson is, or how they handle their hose, or some other sophmoric saying...placed right next to their fire depts' name. Real professional If that isn't immature...what is? Scammed by hotels, overcharged by restaurants, ignored by real equipment vendors...you have NO idea of the struggles and BS that went on down there....and still goes on there.

Hotel owners telling you.....sorry, there's a four day minimum this weekend. Oh...but the Convention is only Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Sorry sir...can't help you.

What a pathetic excuse for a State Convention.

I'm a life member of that NJ ASSociation...and I've attended dozens of those so called conventions, starting in the mid 70's....nothing meaningful was ever accomplished at those meetings. I remember when we first suggested voting machines be brought in to verify the elections. HA...are you kidding?

Looking at ideas for a new truck? You're not going to find it in the pitiful expo area that is laid out in Wildwood. Expecting to find "cutting edge" technology displayed in the booths or tents? Think again. Those vendors headed up to the NY State Chiefs' Convention. If you want your name put on a T-Shirt in four different colors...yeah, you'll be able to do that.

Wild wood...wild weekend....wild parties. Waste of time.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Back In Black

You brought it up, not me.
    Okay, i'll review....

I brought it up to demonstrate that important topics are on the agenda.

The fact that you are the all knowing Fireman's Home expert is really not relevant. I won't tell you to shut up (i'm not such a bore), however, I will be happy to correct you and redirect you back on topic.

====

Like I posted before, Wildwood is what it is and that, for me, is a good time and a chance to unwind and party with my brother firefighters. Do some go too far? yep. Do some go to far at other conventions, expos, and seminars? YES. Do we throw out the baby with the bathwater? Seems some do.

If you go down expecting something that it is not, I can see why you would be disappointed. But if you are a life member or someone who has been going for 20 years (like me), then you know what to expect! I'll bet the old timers complained twenty years ago about the noise, crowds, drunks, prices, etc... some people just like to complain. Go the week before, there is a nice senior citizen convention, and i'm sure that is nice and quiet and noone is having fun.

I just hope that I never get so crotchety that I cannot enjoy some down time with my brothers.

As for it being an embarrassment? It's not an altar boy convention. I've been to some conventions in other fields and they are all the same.

MembersZone Subscriber

Like I posted before, Wildwood is what it is and that, for me, is a good time and a chance to unwind and party with my brother firefighters. Do some go too far? yep. Do some go to far at other conventions, expos, and seminars? YES. Do we throw out the baby with the bathwater? Seems some do.
    I think that is the main point of frustration. While almost every convention anywhere has a lot of camaraderie and good social interaction (*cough* drinking *cough*) they also have a technical purpose that justifies taking part. Wildwood has lost that purpose and is now just a big party and largely an embarrassment to us all.

As you said, the same thing goes on at Baltimore. The difference is that Baltimore also has training classes, panels, and seminars.

I can't talk from experience, however. I went to one Convention my first year on and decided it wasn't worth my time. Since then I stay home and make sure the truck gets out.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Thread Information