MembersZone Subscriber

Default Task Force Tip Metro 1 & 2 Fog Nozzle

My fire department recently got the NEW TFT Metro 1 and Metro 2 fog nozzles. These fog nozzles are fixed gallonage nozzles. For instance, our attack lines are 1 3/4 and the TFT Metro 1 nozzle is rated at 150 GPM at 50 PSI. I would like to know your comments on this type of nozzle. I am not a fan of it because the engineer cannot provide any other GPM flow. Why so? Well because if the engineer throttles down or up the water stream will be as effective due to the rating on the nozzle. The engineer just does not have enough control over what the flow will be. That is my opinion. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by KBoxberger View Post
    My fire department recently got the NEW TFT Metro 1 and Metro 2 fog nozzles. These fog nozzles are fixed gallonage nozzles. For instance, our attack lines are 1 3/4 and the TFT Metro 1 nozzle is rated at 150 GPM at 50 PSI. I would like to know your comments on this type of nozzle. I am not a fan of it because the engineer cannot provide any other GPM flow. Why so? Well because if the engineer throttles down or up the water stream will be as effective due to the rating on the nozzle. The engineer just does not have enough control over what the flow will be. That is my opinion. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    My volly FD uses Elkhart fixed gallonage nozzles rated at 200 gpm at 75 psi. We underpump them to start for a flow of about 160 at about 55 psi or so, We can go to 200 at 75 or roughly 230 at 100. I am not familiar with the TFT Metro nozzles but my guess would be you can under or over pump them as needed to get additional water. We use 2 inch hose.

By the way, how often do you flow more than 150 gpm out of your 1 3/4 inch lines? I would guess almost never, but I may be wrong.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Default TFT Nozzle

I would like to thank you for your reply. However, my concern is that if you under or over pump then it will effect the water stream. If you under pump then the stream will most likely fall short distance wise. If you over pump then the heat consumption will not be maximized. You are right though. We should not pump more than 150 gpm through 1 3/4. If we do then we should get a bigger line. I just feel that the engineer does not have the option to provide a certain gpm and still have an effective stream. Thank you again for your response and add if you feel necessary.

Forum Member

I would think the nozzleman would be the one calling for more/less water, not the engineer. And I'm not sure overpumping will do much bad, other than make for a stiffer hose, which would be noticed by the nozzleman/backup.

I have not used those nozzles, and I wonder if it truly is fixed gallonage or if it's fixed gallonage at that pressure. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing pumping it at higher than the 50psi will give more GPM. I've been wrong before.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Sounds like a great training day to explore the affects on the pattern. Well at least a few hours.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

We have been using these nozzles for approximately 10 years and have not had a problem with underpumping them or over pumping them. Although we rarely overpump them. Range is not seriously effected enough to make it noticable for structural fire attack. The stream is just fine and we have had no complaints from the firefighters about them.

FyredUp

Default TFT Australia

We ave had a brilliant TFT branch (nozzle) for years and I personally love it. We can control all flow and of course fog range and stream range is quite easy to maintain. The 64 mm hose handles the flow nicely and we push water from 1300 litres per min.

I attached some pics of a huge fire nearby that I attended early this year.

Cheers

Firefighter Plummer

Narre Warren Urban Fire Brigade
    Victoria, Australia
    Attached Images Attached Images    

MembersZone Subscriber

The entire intent and design of operating fixed gallonage nozzles is to provide a set GPM at a set pressure. Therefore, the engineer should not, by design, have any control over the flow except to pump at the specified pressure. If you were previously using automatic nozzles there was a good possibility that you were never flowing over 150 gpm anyway. Deciding on a fixed gallonage nozzle makes good sense to me, I encouagre department that I work with to use them if they want to reduce the pump operators friction loss problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim1301 View Post
    The entire intent and design of operating fixed gallonage nozzles is to provide a set GPM at a set pressure. Therefore, the engineer should not, by design, have any control over the flow except to pump at the specified pressure. If you were previously using automatic nozzles there was a good possibility that you were never flowing over 150 gpm anyway. Deciding on a fixed gallonage nozzle makes good sense to me, I encouagre department that I work with to use them if they want to reduce the pump operators friction loss problems.
    Fixed gallonage nozzles will work well over a range of flows and pressures. They are manufactured to flow "optimally" at a stamped flow/pressure. You will find acceptable performance over a decent range. There are more than a few departments that use these nozzles with ratings higher than what they plan to flow typically, so the nozzle would be underpumped to provide a low pressure stream. Increasing the pressure will allow for more flow up to the set point where beyond that the reaction and stream are not favorable.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you want to under and over pump the line, why not just stick with automatic nozzles?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim1301 View Post
    If you want to under and over pump the line, why not just stick with automatic nozzles?
    Because automatic nozzles are a completely different animal both in operation and cost.

Thread Information