Forum Member

Default Multiple Departments?

Ok, we recently got a new explorer who happens to be in a few other departments. He lives a town over, about 4-5 miles from the firehouse, and is currently in 4 other departments in the area.

We're wondering what to do. Whether to allow him to be in ours or not. He doesn't have a scanner and won't be issued a pager until he's 16 in 2 years. He hasn't made a call, and has only come to 2 events since he joined a few months ago (1 firework detail and 1 American Cancer Society event).

What would your post do if this happened to you?

Forum Member

Only way you can do this where I'm from is if you are a mutual aid member. You are then officially a member of this dept and given a pager. If your in the area when an alarm comes in you can respond.

Other than that theres is no way you can do this here.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Well the actual dept. is different from the Explorer post. The department I think you have to live in the town, or a surrounding town to be allowed in. But the explorer post doesn't like to reject members.

However, he has no way of knowing of a call, and we don't want to have him show up once in a blue moon and still get the benefits of the trips, and such we do.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
    Ok, we recently got a new explorer who happens to be in a few other departments. He lives a town over, about 4-5 miles from the firehouse, and is currently in 4 other departments in the area.

We're wondering what to do. Whether to allow him to be in ours or not. He doesn't have a scanner and won't be issued a pager until he's 16 in 2 years. He hasn't made a call, and has only come to 2 events since he joined a few months ago (1 firework detail and 1 American Cancer Society event).

What would your post do if this happened to you?

I would ask him why he wants to be in "a few" departments first, just because I would be curious. I think you have to live in our response area to be a member of the explorers, I know you have live in the response area to join the department. If you have to live in the town in your department (not the explorers), I would make sure he knows that he will not be able to join the department once he is of age. It would be up to the officers (and maybe the advisers) weather he stays or goes.

If he came from a neighboring town that did not have a post and I was an officer I would let him stay, provided he meets the same requirements as everyone.

I would also get in touch with the other post he is in or the one in his town to see if he was thrown out, and trying to get a second chance at your expense.

Forum Member

His town doesn't have a post. But he does some drilling with his town. He also drills with the town next to that town. He joined Explorers in another town, and responds with them and drills with them. Now he's joining our Explorer post.

Forum Member

It sounds like he just wants to be involved in as much "firefighting" as he can at a young age. I'm sure you remember being just as enthusiastic at some point in your life about something. Model trains, Matchbox cars, whatever.

I would do a little research and find out if you're not hearing the whole story from him. How much time is he devoting to school if he is already an Explorer with another town and "drills" with two more? How much time does he have to juggle all four departments?

Perhaps this is the time to really define what your membership requirements are, and where / how you will recruit. If he meets the requirements to join, then you shouldn't turn him away.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

First, actually talk with the kid and see if he actually belongs to any of those other groups or if they are just rumors (not that we ever have that happen).

Second, answering calls is not of importance with Explorers. Attending their meetings/trainings is. If he does the meetings/trainings, I don't care if he ever answers a call as that has no bearing on anything.

Third, you should be happy. Now you have another person to delegate your "tasks" to.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I'll agree with the last two responses. Maybe find out why he wants to be on a few departments and perhaps contact the other post and get a basic overview of the kid. Perhaps the post he is on with doesn't meet or drill as much or they do it on a different day and he wants to keep busy.

Either way, there really is nothing out there saying an explorer can't be on several posts at once. There is also nothing saying an explorer has to go on ride alongs or respond to calls either. Basically I see no problem with a kid wanting to learn as much as possible, maybe learn new ideas not done by another dept and share ideas, and so forth. Being busy with a post or multiple posts keeps him out of trouble too.

Forum Member

The post at my department would deny his membership based on the SOP that you aren't allowed to be affiliated with more than one volunteer department in this county.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    First, actually talk with the kid and see if he actually belongs to any of those other groups or if they are just rumors (not that we ever have that happen).

Second, answering calls is not of importance with Explorers. Attending their meetings/trainings is. If he does the meetings/trainings, I don't care if he ever answers a call as that has no bearing on anything.

Third, you should be happy. Now you have another person to delegate your "tasks" to.
    1- He's in Glendola, I'm sure. He's got a pager from them and responds as well. He's told me personally that he drills with Manasquan and Brielle as well.

2. I know it's not the most important, but that's the best way to get experience I feel. On the calls you actually see what you've been training on in progress, and see it all fit together. And since we only drill a couple weeks that's no help.

3. I have Morris coming back. What more do I need? And Flower! Can't forget about Flowerpower.

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET
    The post at my department would deny his membership based on the SOP that you aren't allowed to be affiliated with more than one volunteer department in this county.
    Well it happens to be that we're the only Ocean County post he's in. The other's are in Monmouth County.

IACOJ BOD

One person, One Brigade, One responsibilty.

End of story, bye bye bucko.

You really want a "truck chaser" and all the headaches that go with it?
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    One person, One Brigade, One responsibilty.

End of story, bye bye bucko.

You really want a "truck chaser" and all the headaches that go with it?
    First I guess noone here really knows the circumstances regarding this person. I have been an Explorer and post advisor for years and to my knowledge within the Learning through Life, there is nothing saying a person can not be part of several posts.

Each post is different and as I posted before it could be the posts meet on different nights, maybe one post is more active than another, and there could be differentthings to learn on or about. Something like the one post has an aerial the other doesn't etc.

I have no clue on this kids motivation, but if the kid doesn't have an attitude problem and just wants to learn about the job of a firefighter, then so be it. There are departments out there that may think their way is the best and the only way to do something and that isn't the case. This kid can see there are several ways to accomplish the same goal. Also as an Explorer, there is absolutely nothing stating that they have to respond to calls or given a pager, or even allowed to do a ride along. The Explorer program is designed to give a taste of the job to kids who may want to look into the job as a career posibility. There are many truck chasers who never been an Explorer.

Forum Member

Default I Do That

I am on an Explorer Post in Vernon, VT where I am a Sergeant and am a Junior Firefighter in Guilford, VT.
    It all depends on the mentality of the departments involved. Guilford is cool with it, I am one of three whom Guilford shares with Vernon, but one of our lieutenants in Vernon flipped out on us. I still do both, though.

Forum Member

I started as an explorer with Bolton Mass. but the post fell apart fast, and I found out about Holden from my dad's friend who is a local chief. I joined Holden and I quit Bolton because it got canned.

-so I was a member of 2 depts. for a short time
    Last edited by Motorhead90; 11-16-2007 at 06:53 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead90 View Post
    I started as an explorer with Bolton Mass. but the post fell apart fast, and I found out about Holden from my dad's friend who is a local chief. I joined Holden and I quit Bolton because it sucked.

-so i was a member of 2 depts. for a short time
    How many people are in your post?

Forum Member

Question

what is this explorer's drill rate
    **The knowledge given within these forums is my own personal insight and information and does not and should not necessarily reflect any organizations that I am associated with**

Forum Member

Let's see... I think he's made 2 or 3 drills in the 4ish months he's been in. He made 1 or 2 of the weekly firework details we have. He is starting to show up to calls. He made like 3 in the last week.

As long as he keeps this up, he'll be fine. But for the beginning he disappeared and didn't show to anything.

Forum Member

how many calls do you get
    **The knowledge given within these forums is my own personal insight and information and does not and should not necessarily reflect any organizations that I am associated with**

Forum Member

30 thus far this month.

24 last month I believe.

But there's really no requirements for explorer's to make a call percentage.

Forum Member

i think that's part of the problem

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slfesec06 View Post
    i think that's part of the problem
    Why? Explorer's aren't fire fighters. They are in the explorer post to learn about fire fighting. They are not in the explorer post to fight fires.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information