Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Post Utah Coal Miners

(CNN) -- Rescue workers in central Utah were "using every means known to mankind" to reach six men trapped inside a coal mine that caved in Monday, the mine's operator said.

By Monday afternoon, rescuers were about 1,700 feet from where the miners were last thought to be working.

"We're sparing no expense to bring every mining machine that we have in Utah in here," said Robert Murray, CEO of Murray Energy, the parent company of the mine's operator.

Murray had hoped to reach the miners by breaching the seals of an old mine, which could potentially have put crews within 100 feet of them.

"I'm disappointed to report that our efforts have not been fruitful in this approach to get to the men," Murray said.

Crews had to turn around because of "impassable conditions," he said.

So far, rescue workers have been unable to establish communication with the miners, who are presumed to be about 1,700 feet away.

The miners are thought to have been working about four miles from the mine's entrance at the time of the incident, said an official with the U.S. Mining Safety and Health Administration.

Murray said he was confident of the miners' location, but there is still no word on their condition.

"They can be in a chamber in there that's 1,000 feet long, or they could be dead," he said.

It could take 48 hours to reach the miners, Murray said, but if they are still alive "there's water and air for far beyond that."

Every miner carries a tank with about an hour's worth of oxygen, officials from Murray Energy said. There are also caches throughout the mine with additional oxygen supplies, they said.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported a quake of 3.9 magnitude jolted the region shortly before 3 a.m. (5 a.m. ET), with an epicenter about 16 miles west of Huntington, Utah, close to the mine's location in Emery County.

It is unclear whether the collapse was caused by a small earthquake or whether the collapse itself was strong enough to register on seismographs.

Seismographs recorded movement near the area that was "consistent with a mine-type collapse," Walter Arabasz, director of the University of Utah Seismograph Stations, told the Deseret Morning News.

"Now we have to go back and look at more careful analyses to be able to defend with more certainty whether the originating event was an earthquake or whether it was a seismic event caused in a mine environment," he told the Salt Lake City, Utah, newspaper.

A "rock burst" measuring on a seismograph would not be "unheard of" in the region, Davitt McAteer, former head of the U.S. Mining Safety and Health Administration, told CNN.

"It has happened in the past," he said.

The mine -- owned by Genwal Resources Inc. -- reported a cave-in to the Emery County Sheriff's Department about an hour after the seismograph reading was noted.

Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. went to the Crandall Canyon Mine to "lend his personal support to the families and mining community during this critical time," his office said.

Huntsman told reporters the families of the trapped men were at an "undisclosed location" near Huntington, about 140 miles south of Salt Lake City.

"I am confident, based upon what I heard from Mr. Murray, that every expense is being made in order to do this right -- no stone left unturned," he said. "They're bringing in the professionals and all the equipment they need, hopefully to make this a successful outcome."

Mine rescue teams from the Rocky Mountain Power Co. are on standby if they are needed, spokesman Steve Eskelsen said. In addition, the power company has offered to loan out its heavy equipment, he said.

God speed!

The Coal Miners prayer.
    By W.Calvert

Each dawn as we rise, lord we know all to well,
    We face only one thing - a pit filled with hell.
    To scratch out a living the best that we can,
    But deep in the heart, lies the soul of a man.

With black covered faces, and hard calloused hands,
    We work the dark tunnels, unable to stand.
    To labour and toil as we harvest the coals,
    We silently pray "lord please harvest our souls".
    Last edited by coldfront; 08-06-2007 at 08:49 PM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

One can only pray for a good outcome for those trapped. Thoughts and Prayers with everyone.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

I hope they can rescue these people. I know some guys that are coal miners and firefighters as well and I hate to hear about incidents like this.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I read the original report when it was posted on Channel 4 news here, and then caught a bit on TV. Very sad deal. Although it seems there is some conflict about whether there really was an earthquake before the collapse or if the quake was the collapse in action. Time will tell I guess.

Hat off, and prayers for those who are involved in this incident.

*not picking noses and certainly not taking away from the intent of this thread, but since I did not think of it as fire related, I originally posted it in the News Section of the Off Duties.*

I've actually been on an up close and personal tour of a coal mine and have visited the MSHA campus in Beckley, WV. My Dad is a Mine Rescue Instructor is always intrigued with anything to do with mining. Coal mining is extremely interesting to me and I'm considering pursuing a degree.......along with many other things.

May God watch over the miners and bring them home safe to their families.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

god bless the miners and the rescuers.may everyone be safe.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    I've actually been on an up close and personal tour of a coal mine and have visited the MSHA campus in Beckley, WV. My Dad is a Mine Rescue Instructor is always intrigued with anything to do with mining. Coal mining is extremely interesting to me and I'm considering pursuing a degree.......along with many other things.

May God watch over the miners and bring them home safe to their families.
    It's quite a nice campus isn't it? It's 30 minutes north of me. We use it sometimes for fire training as well, the classrooms that is.
    It's a jungle out there. You have to watch out for number 1, but be careful not to step in number 2! - Rodney Dangerfield

Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

Forum Member

Post Bush calls Utah Gov

Bush calls Gov to express concern, offer mine rescue support
    By Thomas Burr
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    August 8, 2007

WASHINGTON - President Bush called Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman this morning to express his concern for the six trapped miners in Emery County, White House press secretary Tony Snow said.

Snow told reporters the president called Huntsman to "continue to offer support from the federal government and to tell him that he was keeping the miners in his thoughts and prayers."

The federal government has sent field supervisors and inspectors from the Department of Labor's Mine Safety and Health Administration to the mine site as well as the department's assistant secretary.

The U.S. Air Force is also providing any transportation needs for the rescue effort.

____________ _________
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Prayers go out to the miners

I've been following this on tv and what is very upsetting to me is the media not giving these uguys any chance of survival. They had a retired coal miner on CNN asking him some questions and the idiot anchor didn't even hardly listen to a word he said. I find it very upsetting. I have a feeling these guys are all alive!

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Well, the rescuers certainly haven't given up! My thoughts are with everyone involved.

Rescuers hope to resume efforts today at Utah mine collapse
    08/08/2007 10:37:22 AM
    Printer-friendly page

Attempts to rescue six miners trapped in a Utah coal mine following a cave-in on Monday could resume this afternoon.

CBC News

"That's the best information I can give you," Robert Murray, the CEO of Murray Energy Corp., the parent company of the mine, told reporters Wednesday.

Al Davis of the U.S. government's Mine Safety and Health Administration said there is no way of knowing if the trapped miners have any air.

Underground rescue efforts had to be halted Tuesday as more collapses wiped out the efforts of rescuers to clear rubble.

The miners are trapped 457 metres underground in the Genwal Mine, which is built into a mountain in the rugged Manti-La Sal National Forest some 225 kilometres south of Salt Lake City. The miners are about six kilometres from the mine's entrance.

Murray said it will take at least a week, maybe more, to reach the site of the trapped miners through underground digging.

Rescuers are still trying to make contact with the trapped miners by drilling two small holes from the surface to deliver water and air.

Murray said a six-centimetre hole from the surface was already about one-third of the way to the trapped miners, while a hole of roughly 22 centimetres in diameter was started this morning. Both drill holes are expected to reach the miners in about two days if they are on target, said Murray.

The holes will be used to get air, food and water to the trapped individuals.

Murray insists the initial cave-in was caused by an earthquake, but University of Utah seismologists said Wednesday they believe it was the mine collapse, and not an earthquake, that registered on a seismograph early Monday.

With files from the Associated Press
    Came back to add this thought. Last night I either read online or heard on the news that the rescue had to be halted due to further seismic activity.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 08-08-2007 at 10:00 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information