1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5

    Default Anyone graduate from HCI?

    I was speaking to my neighbor (he has been with Palm Beach County for 16 years) about starting EMT and we got on the topic that I couldn't enroll until January through the local CC. He mentioned a Private School by the name of HCI and I have been researching it and it looks pretty good. The EMT Course is 12 weeks and Paramedic is 36 weeks. They don't offer FF though, but that is not that big of a deal because I was really dreading not being able to start for almost half a year.

    Anyone ever graduate from there or know anyone who has?

    Thanks,

    Matt

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny South Florida
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Don't do it! HCI (formerly ATEC)produces some of the worst EMT's and medics I've seen. They are clueless when they show up for ride time and, even at the end of their class, seem to know zero. It's not their fault, thats what they learn. Do your self a favor and go to PBCC, at least for your paramedic. Hell, if you are close enough, go to Broward Community College. You'll really learn how to do the job there. All of these private EMS schools seem to turn out lame medics unless they have been WORKING EMT's for a while. Also, they don't seem to fail people out like the CC's do. Probably because they make you pay about double what a CC charges. CC's classes seem more structured and your final semester of medic school you ride with the same preceptor so you can be properly evaluated. The instructors at the CC's also seem to be more concerned with final semester students and check up on their progress with us regularly. I've never had HCI do that. I've been a Firemedic for 7 years now and I have lots of students riding with me. I give everyone a fair chance and three strikes, 95% of the ones that strike out are from HCI, FMTI or one of the other private schools. I have also been involved with some of the hiring exams at the FD and the candidates who do the best on the EMS portion come from the CC's. Do your self a favor and try to go to one of the CC's. You may have to wait, but its worth it in the long run. Oh, and no I don't work for the CC's.

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    52

    Default

    If your looking for a good EMT school thats not the Community college check out Coral Springs Fire academy http://www.coralspringsfireacademy.org/ i wnet there and can say they hold you to a higher standard nad take pride in being tuff.

    also if ya go to EMT school there you can get slot for th efire academy right after.

    Good luck.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    Don't do it! HCI (formerly ATEC)produces some of the worst EMT's and medics I've seen. They are clueless when they show up for ride time and, even at the end of their class, seem to know zero. It's not their fault, thats what they learn. Do your self a favor and go to PBCC, at least for your paramedic. Hell, if you are close enough, go to Broward Community College. You'll really learn how to do the job there. All of these private EMS schools seem to turn out lame medics unless they have been WORKING EMT's for a while. Also, they don't seem to fail people out like the CC's do. Probably because they make you pay about double what a CC charges. CC's classes seem more structured and your final semester of medic school you ride with the same preceptor so you can be properly evaluated. The instructors at the CC's also seem to be more concerned with final semester students and check up on their progress with us regularly. I've never had HCI do that. I've been a Firemedic for 7 years now and I have lots of students riding with me. I give everyone a fair chance and three strikes, 95% of the ones that strike out are from HCI, FMTI or one of the other private schools. I have also been involved with some of the hiring exams at the FD and the candidates who do the best on the EMS portion come from the CC's. Do your self a favor and try to go to one of the CC's. You may have to wait, but its worth it in the long run. Oh, and no I don't work for the CC's.
    Wow, good thing I made the post. Not exactly the response I was looking for, but I am glad I recieved it before hand. Class started on 9/1 and was getting excited.

    I have no problem waiting, of course the sooner the better but I would rather be in the correct school and taught right the first time around. I am in Palm Beach County, so I can go to a couple different PBCC areas as you know. Coral Springs and Broward are options as well.

    Would you guys do EMT or FF first?

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny South Florida
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Do what ever you can get into quickest first. You'll probably be waiting a while for a spot in fire school so, get your EMT and maybe even your paramedic out of the way. When I went to fire school, you would skip the first responder portion of the class if you were an EMT or medic, and many academy's give you "points" for having those patches so you get to skip ahead on the waiting list. Remember that EMT and fire school go hand in hand. You need both as a minimum requirement to get hired anywhere. Getting into fire school will probably be the hardest part, so go as SOON as you get the opportunity. Also, if you want to go to a REAL fire school, check out the Broward Fire Academy. I think they are even teaching EMT there now.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    Do what ever you can get into quickest first. You'll probably be waiting a while for a spot in fire school so, get your EMT and maybe even your paramedic out of the way. When I went to fire school, you would skip the first responder portion of the class if you were an EMT or medic, and many academy's give you "points" for having those patches so you get to skip ahead on the waiting list. Remember that EMT and fire school go hand in hand. You need both as a minimum requirement to get hired anywhere. Getting into fire school will probably be the hardest part, so go as SOON as you get the opportunity. Also, if you want to go to a REAL fire school, check out the Broward Fire Academy. I think they are even teaching EMT there now.
    That is pretty much what I was thinking. I wanted to do what was available first and formost. I was checking out Broward's CC site last night, but I didn't get much information before I went off to bed.

    I was either going to try to do EMT-B or get into FF. I knew if I did EMT-B, I would go straight into Medic after so it was still fresh in my head and I can continue studying.

    I didn't know so much about the waiting list, so maybe I will do EMT and Medic and try to get me some brownie points for recruitment since like you said, I will need them anyways before I get a real job.

    I appreciate all the help guys, glad I asked. I will research some more and see what Broward has to offer all around.

    I'll let you know what I decide!

    Matt

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21

    Default

    the best way to go is deff emt then medic b/c some departments (mostly in fl) will hire you as a medic and put you through fire academy i would recommend pbcc emt program and believe me you want to go to ocala florida state fire college best program in the state although coral springs a dam good 2nd

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pciddy View Post
    the best way to go is deff emt then medic b/c some departments (mostly in fl) will hire you as a medic and put you through fire academy i would recommend pbcc emt program and believe me you want to go to ocala florida state fire college best program in the state although coral springs a dam good 2nd
    Know anything about Hillsborough Community Colleges' fire academy and their reputation?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pciddy View Post
    the best way to go is deff emt then medic b/c some departments (mostly in fl) will hire you as a medic and put you through fire academy i would recommend pbcc emt program and believe me you want to go to ocala florida state fire college best program in the state although coral springs a dam good 2nd
    Anyone have an opinion on HCC's Fire Academy and how it stacks up against other Fl. academy's. I am in an odd position in that I have been accepted into both St. Petersburg's and HCC's fire academy's and am trying to decide which I should choose. HCC's starts this October, while St. Petes begins in Jan. 08. Also, I have applied to HCC's paramedic program, are they a respected program? Thanks in advance for your input!

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pciddy View Post
    the best way to go is deff emt then medic b/c some departments (mostly in fl) will hire you as a medic and put you through fire academy i would recommend pbcc emt program and believe me you want to go to ocala florida state fire college best program in the state although coral springs a dam good 2nd


    BINGO...post of the day...


    if i could do it all over again, i would have gone through EMT and medic first, instead emt, fire, try and find a job, and THEN medic like I did. EMT, medic, and they have a department PAY for you to go to fire school is DEFINETLY the way to go. I'm in central florida, outside of orlando and I see this happening all the time with departmetns around here. Like I said, if I could do it all over again, EMT and medic first....

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. So. Cal. Firefighters graduate honor guard academy....
    By CALFFBOU in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 03:18 PM
  2. Graduate School
    By KingHippo in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 09:45 AM
  3. I graduate in less than 6 months, what can I do to have a job waiting for me?
    By WFDjr1 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 02:30 PM
  4. Another questionable graduate???
    By FireFighterMO in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-04-2002, 08:01 AM
  5. Graduate Programs
    By Captain203 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2001, 05:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register