Thread: helmet lights

Forum Member

Default helmet lights

I am sure this topic has come up before so please point me in the right direction or give me your opinion. I have settled on the idea of getting a light for my helmet, but now am stuck on what kind to buy. I am looking for something that will run me around $30 or less. Any help is much appreciated.

Forum Member

if you have a traditional style helmet the best way to go is a garrity light and a band, when it melts which it will.... just by another one for 75 cents.

Forum Member

I agree, I am not a fan of light brackets on the helmet. I personally do not want anything that can become an entanglement hazard on my gear. However, the Garrity held in place with a band presents a very minimal profile and would dislodge easily if needed. Plus it is inexpensive and durable.

Forum Member

Helmet Light / www.buddylight.com they also are garunteed for life. $32.00

Forum Member

Interesting website. Doesn't talk much about how well/if it works for the wearer to see anything. Talks mostly about how the lights can be seen by others.

Do these things work well as a flashlight or just as an accountability thing?

Not sure the Red and Blue would be much good as flashlights.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Bones,

They light up the room pretty well red or blue. Actually can be seen from about 3/4 to a mile away. You don't want to look somebody in the face with one of these on. They are also used as flashlights.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

I went on thefirestore.com and ordered the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon LED Flashlight with a helmet band. So far I am very happy with my purchase. If the band melts...i just buy another one. no real money lost. The light it self is $32, two dollars more than you wanted to spend but $2 shouldn't kill ya.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Forum Member

I've become a big fan of this one. Ten or twelve bucks at home depot or wal mart, it's light, and puts out surprisingly good light.

-----

Edited for the points mentioned below - I forgot to mention that the head of the light can be adjusted to point down so that you don't blind Dickey, and it works just as well with a metro helmet.
    Last edited by upstater; 08-08-2007 at 01:09 AM.
    The opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not the opinions of the government that I work for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 37truck View Post
    I agree, I am not a fan of light brackets on the helmet. I personally do not want anything that can become an entanglement hazard on my gear. However, the Garrity held in place with a band presents a very minimal profile and would dislodge easily if needed. Plus it is inexpensive and durable.
    I personally do not have a problem with the lights that come with a bracket. I have a Bullard ďmodernĒ style helmet. Originally I had the band with Garrity lights. But because of the design of the helmet the lights and band kept sliding up my helmet and I constantly had to reposition the lights so I could see. A few people on the department had the brackets with flashlights in them, so I went to ďThe Fire StoreĒ and bought a Streamlight light 4 AA flashlight with the bracket, and have had it for a few months now. I must say I am extremely satisfied with it. Wherever I look the lights right there. And for a small light itís pretty bright.

I just do not see where it poses such an entanglement hazard. I mean the only thing itís ever really going to get entangled on is wires, and if thatís the case then you should be more concerned about your SCBA becoming entangled than your flashlight. Plus the way I have my light positioned it sits right up against my shield when it is raised so there really isnít any way something could get around it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 37truck View Post
    What he said.

The biggest pet peeve of mine is guys with these lights on the their helmets and when they look at you, it goes right into your face blinding you. If it blinds me, I knock it off your helmet. If you do put something on your helmet, aim it down please.

Great lights for cheap: www.brightguy.com
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    What he said.

The biggest pet peeve of mine is guys with these lights on the their helmets and when they look at you, it goes right into your face blinding you. If it blinds me, I knock it off your helmet. If you do put something on your helmet, aim it down please.

Great lights for cheap: www.brightguy.com
    I donít know, maybe I have a magical light or something, but I have never had a problem with mine. Several people on the department have them and they work very well. Another thing I do not like about the Garrity lights is you get a low quality light at a cheep price. You ge what you pay for. I just donít understand what everybody is just trying to say a few dollars. Yeah sure the Garrity lights are just a few dollars, but your dealing with a SAFETY item. And I am not going to trust a $3 piece of plastic with a cheap light in it for my safety. I donít even trust the hand lights that come on the engine, thatís why I bought my own lights. When I had them it would shine a good light for a few feet, but that was about it. With the light I have now it shines a bright beam of light and I can see everything. Whenever I look at somebody I make sure not to shine the light directly in their eyes and thatís it. If somebody came up to me and tried to knock my light off of my helmet just because they didnít like it then I would have some serious issues with that person.

Iím not trying to pick a fight and please do not take my comments as doing so. But I had the Garrity light with the strap and I was highly unsatisfied. I think the setup I have now is the best way to go in my opinion.
    Last edited by KevinFFVFD; 08-08-2007 at 01:19 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    Whenever I look at somebody I make sure not to shine the light directly in their eyes and thatís it. I

Some of my guys don't realize they are doing it and I tell them once. I make a general statement to new guys coming in about it too. If it still happens, I either shut it off or slap it so it points down. You just happen to think about it on your own, good for you.

if somebody came up to me and tried to knock my light off of my helmet just because they didnít like it then I would have some serious issues with that person.

See my answer to this above. If I have to do it, it usually is a self-correcting error, happens only once.

I think the setup I have now is the best way to go in my opinion.

And you do what you gotta do so it works for you. I have two rechargable Streamlight poly stingers (left over from my sheriff days) that I carry and use that work really good. One in my coat, one in my pants pocket. They are small and as bright, if not brighter than the lightboxes. Again, works great for me, may not work good for you.

Whatever you do, be safe about it.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    I donít know, maybe I have a magical light or something, but I have never had a problem with mine. Several people on the department have them and they work very well. Another thing I do not like about the Garrity lights is you get a low quality light at a cheep price. You ge what you pay for. I just donít understand what everybody is just trying to say a few dollars. Yeah sure the Garrity lights are just a few dollars, but your dealing with a SAFETY item. And I am not going to trust a $3 piece of plastic with a cheap light in it for my safety. I donít even trust the hand lights that come on the engine, thatís why I bought my own lights. When I had them it would shine a good light for a few feet, but that was about it. With the light I have now it shines a bright beam of light and I can see everything. Whenever I look at somebody I make sure not to shine the light directly in their eyes and thatís it. If somebody came up to me and tried to knock my light off of my helmet just because they didnít like it then I would have some serious issues with that person.

Iím not trying to pick a fight and please do not take my comments as doing so. But I had the Garrity light with the strap and I was highly unsatisfied. I think the setup I have now is the best way to go in my opinion.
    Don't get me wrong. The bracket lights are great...for an IC doing paperwork. One of the first reasons for a "cheap" light on the helmet is that this is the area that ends up taking the most heat. I work on a company that goes to a "good" working fire nearly every shift. I can't justifiy putting a higher quality light, that is more than likely to get wrecked in a short period of time, on my helmet. I invested in a high quality, fire service handlight instead. I also carry a Survivor attached to the coat. Second, I teach alot of Safety/Survival/RIT courses and see guys lose their helmets or become extremely frustrated when they can not untangle simple wires from their helmet light bracket. Some of those brackets do not detach easily, and pulling and jerking your neck to free it is an injury waiting to happen. I understand the problem with the Garrity and modern style helmets. When I was a Vollie we solved the problem by using velcro and the band. One benefit is you can easily aim the light in your prefered direction. Also in a fire, helmet lights are pretty much useless. As far as the Garrity goes...10,000 FDNY can'y be wrong.

Forum Member

I've used the Garrity for years.For the investment they are hard to beat.Heat 'em,beat 'em,drop 'em,they just come back for more.If you want,get a good light for your coat.But for a cheap helmet light,my nod goes to Garrity. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I've used the Garrity for years.For the investment they are hard to beat.Heat 'em,beat 'em,drop 'em,they just come back for more.If you want,get a good light for your coat.But for a cheap helmet light,my nod goes to Garrity. T.C.
    my thoughts exactly... i carry a survivor on my coat, but the garrity works for everything else other than interior ops

Forum Member

*Dealer disclaimer*

http://www.frontlineessentials.com/s...8584f844dbb1c\

There's the light and the strap for about $30. 4AA Led.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I think my frustrations with the Garrity lights came when they wouldnít stay on my helmet. I know they work great with the traditional helmets, but only 2 guys on our department has traditional. Everyone else, including me, has the modern helmet.

I mistook the slapping the light comment. I thought you went slap it off my helmet and ruin what I paid for. But I can understand getting ****ed when someone shins the light right in your eyes.

Plus not only do I have the helmet light, but I also have the Survivor LED rechargeable that I clip on my coat as well.

Yet another lesson I am trying to teach people on the department, ALWAYS CARRY A FLASHLIGHT. Most of the people on the department that ALWAYS has a flashlight are the ones who bought their own. But those who donít will walk up to a fire or go in with no flashlight, even though we have flashlights mounted in the engines.

I cant stand it when were are in a fire, and this happens usually during overhaul or when I am back at the staging area, that somebody will walk up to me and say ďCan I borrow your light for a secondĒ. I am getting to the point of telling them NO because they should have one.

I also should have mentioned this on the first post I made. Even though I do not have a Garrity light on my helmet, I do carry two Garrity lights in my coat pockets. So incase my helmet gets knocked of and my Survivor light dies, I still have two lights that I pray will work, haha.

Forum Member

We all get issued a helmet light and a pocket light, both 4AA streamlights. We have been using a mount called a 'Blackjack', a very low profile setup. It is one piece of aluminum, heavy duty, with an allen screw to secure the light and another to hold it to your helmet.

We got them from FDC (Fire Department Conections) in Phoenix.

Works for us.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    We all get issued a helmet light and a pocket light, both 4AA streamlights. We have been using a mount called a 'Blackjack', a very low profile setup. It is one piece of aluminum, heavy duty, with an allen screw to secure the light and another to hold it to your helmet.

We got them from FDC (Fire Department Conections) in Phoenix.

Works for us.
    This is what I use......

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...ries_included/

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...style_helmets/

It works for me. But everyone has their own way of doing things.

Thread Information