Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    Then they can sell a video game based on the event and solve all their budget problems.
    Wasn't there a movie about this back in the '70s? I think it was called "Warriors".

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Wasn't there a movie about this back in the '70s? I think it was called "Warriors".
    I think so (before my time).. wasn't that also the movie they spoofed in Anchorman?
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

**double post...sorry**

An anti-gang initiative....I wonder why Newark PD -with 3-5 gang-related shootings a week-didn't think of that?

I was right. You don't have a clue.
    Well I don't live there, so I didn't know if they had one or not. Obviously it's not working. They need a better one then. The one they have must stink. They need to see where they've failed, and go from there. And since the PD can't get anywhere with it, just put it under martial law. When they go after the National Guard, they'll do something about it. And after some of 'em get cut down, see if the rest don't scatter like roaches. I know that sounds stupid. But so is letting a bunch of thugs and hoodlums take over.

As to not having a clue, you've already informed me of that I'm just expressing an opinion is all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SapphyreBlues View Post
    Well I don't live there, so I didn't know if they had one or not. Obviously it's not working. They need a better one then. The one they have must stink. They need to see where they've failed, and go from there. And since the PD can't get anywhere with it, just put it under martial law. When they go after the National Guard, they'll do something about it. And after some of 'em get cut down, see if the rest don't scatter like roaches. I know that sounds stupid. But so is letting a bunch of thugs and hoodlums take over.

As to not having a clue, you've already informed me of that I'm just expressing an opinion is all.

Are you like 12 years old?

Put a major US city under martial law. Use the National Guard to perform police functions.

You not only do not have a clue about gang culture, you do not even know how your government works.

I'm through with you.

Are you like 12 years old?

Put a major US city under martial law. Use the National Guard to perform police functions.

You not only do not have a clue about gang culture, you do not even know how your government works.

I'm through with you.
    No, I'm not talking about having the military completely run the city. No. Just have them help the PD patrol the place. Give them vital aid. Obviously they need it. The PD they have up there - when it comes to that - is basically ineffective.

They are going to have to do better or else there are going to be a lot of innocent people killed. There is no such thing as prevention any more for that city. They evidently need to take action.

No, I'm not 12. I'm 26, soon to be 27. And as for being done with me, if it disturbs you that bad when someone gives their opinion...well, I don't know what to tell you. I was just expressing some ideas like everybody else.

MembersZone Subscriber

Opinions do not bother me.

Ignorance bothers me.

The only thing I was doing was suggesting ways that might make that place a safer way to live. If it can be done, fine. If it can't, well I didn't know. If that's ignorance to you, fine. But don't you think that's better than apathy? I could be sitting here saying "Hey, I'm in TN, they're in NJ...who cares if they all die?!" But I'm not like that

Forum Member

Wink

Opinions do not bother me.

Ignorance bothers me.
    Dear Mr Kindness!

Yes, though the Happiness you witness and Anger you are experiencing are just two sides of the same coin.

Both begin with Desire arising. Then Desire is (temporarily) either Fulfilled (happiness) or Unfulfilled (anger).

Both keep you in the endless cycle of suffering arising from clinging to impermanence.

What bothers you about seeing someone Happy is therefore the same thing that should bother you about being Angry -- both forms of suffering arise because of ignorance of the impermanent nature of being.

True bliss arises when one lets go of desire altogether, and lets pure awareness resonate with itself in its natural state. Try it.

I love google!

SapphyreBlues This should take the heat off you for awhile.He really loves new targets!Post away Sapphyreblues I dont believe the FBI or local law enforcement calls george and ask for his defination of A SCHOOL SHOOTING: If you would talk to local parents I would bet they would consider it a school shooting.Sure it not the classic school hours shooting.In Kentucky if you sell drugs within 1000 feet of a school that close enough to up your jail time if found guilty!D
    Last edited by coldfront; 08-07-2007 at 08:55 PM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Quote Originally Posted by coldfront View Post

SapphyreBlues This should take the heat off you for awhile.He really loves new targets!Post away Sapphyreblues I dont believe the FBI or local law enforcement calls george and ask for his defination of A SCHOOL SHOOTING: If you would talk to local parents I would bet they would consider it a school shooting.Sure it not the classic school hours shooting.Hell here in Kentucky if you sell drugs within 1000 feet of a school that close enough to up your jail time if found guilty!D Bring it on george!
    Well I'm a newbie to this site, and a nonFF, so I'd say I'm an easy target. I'm thick skinned though, so it doesn't bother me Thanks for the support anyways

And while, really, it doesn't fall under the normal school shooting classification, it still happened on a campus. It's very bothersome because you want to sit back and (naively) believe that schools are safe places for our kids. Be it morning or night, when they are there or not. As for what the local parents think, if they were to talk to the VT parents, they'll find that the pain is the same. Whether it was in the middle of class or not. Maybe it wasn't a "true" school shooting. Does that make it any less offensive? Certainly not.

The law that y'all have in Kentucky is a good one. I'm not real sure of the TN law about that.

I feel for the kids. I graduated in '98. And even though that was just 9 years ago, what I went through and what they are going through are so much different. It's gotten so much worse on them. Peer pressure is at an all time high. And so is bullying. I've heard commercials for parents where they can seek help if their child is being bullied, or is the bully. Kids nowadays, not all but some, are so dark and depressed. It's not like it used to be, where you get picked on and after a good cry, you get over it. Now they get guns and "get even". Not that bullying is right, but neither is shooting someone.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=coldfront;847289]

SapphyreBlues This should take the heat off you for awhile.He really loves new targets!Post away Sapphyreblues I dont believe the FBI or local law enforcement calls george and ask for his defination of A SCHOOL SHOOTING: If you would talk to local parents I would bet they would consider it a school shooting.Sure it not the classic school hours shooting.In Kentucky if you sell drugs within 1000 feet of a school that close enough to up your jail time if found guilty!D[/QUOTE

I was not criticizing anyone about the "definition of a school shooting". I couldn't care less.

My point is that someone who is an adult in this day and age and can show complete ignorance about how their government operates is pathetic.

The sad thing not mentioned here is that Newark isn't the worst city in NJ:

That title is held by its south Jersey counterpart, Camden.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

I was not criticizing anyone about the "definition of a school shooting". I couldn't care less.

My point is that someone who is an adult in this day and age and can show complete ignorance about how their government operates is pathetic.
    Maybe it is. But then so is letting a bunch of thugs take over not just one or two cities, but several. If it keeps going on like y'all have described it, it won't be long before there is a complete breakdown of the policing structure concerning those gangs. NO, before I'm accused of it, I am in no way saying the PD is at fault, or that they aren't good at what they do. Maybe the problem escalated faster than they could handle the situation. All I was saying is they should get some serious back up. Perhaps "martial law" was the incorrect term for what I was suggesting. A serious problem needs a serious remedy. If it has indeed gotten as bad as y'all are saying it has, then I don't see the problem with them coming in to help. Especially at night. Obviously they aren't afraid of the PD. And what ones are caught, if the judicial system is like it is down here, they're out before the arresting officer even has the paperwork done on him.

I know you're really gonna go nuts on this one, but in my opinion, they should get a prison sentence for just being in a gang. Think about it. They are kinda like terrorists. Not what we normally call a terrorist, but do they or do they not terrorize the neighborhoods they've taken over? I mean, just ask the 3 - 5 people a week who've been shot. That is if they've survived.

But I guess until the judicial system catches up with the PD, it'll just be a revolving door...they get arrested...they get released. Maybe that would work. Just ship them off to prison. That'll change their attitude.

Nevermind. I just remembered how the prisons are in this country. Don't get me started on prison reform But I will say this on that subject....when the person who killed somebody is living better than his/her victim's family, there is something seriously wrong.

And here's another question. Why isn't the rest of the country hearing about this? Why isn't it being reported on? When it was NY, it was all over the news. When it was LA, it was all over the news. Why not NJ? I would have never guessed it would be that bad there.
    Last edited by SapphyreBlues; 08-07-2007 at 11:28 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    The sad thing not mentioned here is that Newark isn't the worst city in NJ:

That title is held by its south Jersey counterpart, Camden.
    Finally something we agree on.

SapphyreBlues This should take the heat off you for awhile.He really loves new targets!
    What a hero!

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SapphyreBlues View Post
    If it gets really bad, do you suppose they could put it under martial law for a while? Bring in the military and tell them they gotta do what they gotta do to clear the streets of those people?
    Sure...why not? That's what America is all about! Justice for all. Land of Opportunity! Land of Liberty! Give me Liberty or give me Death! Honest Abe! Goerge and the Cherry Tree!

Let's do this...bring in Osama Bin Laden and his thugs, let them set rule of law...cause Martial Dillon is way too busy right now!

(Hello again George.... )

CLUELESS!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

SapphyreBlues This should take the heat off you for awhile.He really loves new targets!Post away Sapphyreblues I dont believe the FBI or local law enforcement calls george and ask for his defination of A SCHOOL SHOOTING: If you would talk to local parents I would bet they would consider it a school shooting.Sure it not the classic school hours shooting.In Kentucky if you sell drugs within 1000 feet of a school that close enough to up your jail time if found guilty!D
    So I guess in your mind if someone gets held up and their wallet taken in a bank parking lot at midnight on a Saturday it's a bank robbery and not a mugging then, right?

SapphyreBlues, I'm guessing you really don't know much about gangs?

Consider yourself lucky that you do not have any in your area.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Hmmmm..................

Dear Mr Kindness!

Yes, though the Happiness you witness and Anger you are experiencing are just two sides of the same coin.

Both begin with Desire arising. Then Desire is (temporarily) either Fulfilled (happiness) or Unfulfilled (anger).

Both keep you in the endless cycle of suffering arising from clinging to impermanence.

What bothers you about seeing someone Happy is therefore the same thing that should bother you about being Angry -- both forms of suffering arise because of ignorance of the impermanent nature of being.

True bliss arises when one lets go of desire altogether, and lets pure awareness resonate with itself in its natural state. Try it.

Thank You, Rev. Coldfront. Your message to the masses, (or is it messes) is duly noted, and appreciated by most of us.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    SapphyreBlues, I'm guessing you really don't know much about gangs?

Consider yourself lucky that you do not have any in your area.
    That's the problem with middle America in reference to gangs. There are organized criminal groups-outlaw biker gangs, skinheads, street gangs, etc.-in every single town in America. A small farming town with a prevalence of migrant workers, for example, can bank on the presence of MS-13 or ALKQN. Rich white kids are drawn to facist hate groups. They are everywhere. I mean everywhere.

I had a fire in an apt. complex in a pretty decent town. As I'm doing the fire, I am watching a "gathering" of young folks of apparently Latino descent. They must have been hockey fans as they were all wearing either Pittsburgh Penquins garb or other black and gold clothing. Some of their vehicles had yellow bandanas tied to the antennas. You get the picture.

I grab some photos using my telephoto and call my buddy in the local prosecutor's office to let him know about this. He told me that there is no gang problem in this town. Apparently, the mayor and the police chief went on TV and annoucned that there were no gang members in their town. Denial and ignorance are the friends of criminals.

Thread Information