MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Interesting Delema

Ok, here's the story:

I was waiting for the bus to the Metro this morning, and had arrived at the bus stop about 15 min early. As I am standing there watching the world go by at about 45mph (busy street), I hear a smoke detector in one of the adjacent homes go off.

"Oh Just Great." I think. "Wonderful." But I figure since I can hear it, it must be in the near home. So I walk the length of the property facing the street and as I get to the south edge of the home, the sound gets fainter. Ok I have a general direction now. I head off down the side street, and the sound is getting louder. I'm looking at the structure, appears to be single story, bungalow, with brick walls - pretty common around these parts of NoVa. I don't see/smell smoke, the windows appear to be clear, and then I see a light on in the front room. Ok. Good there - maybe.

Just as I "hit" the driveway, the detector shuts off. Ok. Even better. I give it a few seconds, then turn and walk back up the street to wait for my bus.

WONDERFUL. Here comes the bus, and wouldn't ya know it, the dang alarm goes off again. Its been about 7 or 8 minutes.... then I start to think:

Ok. It went off once, and was acknowledged. Its going off again. What are the odds that Mr and Mrs each had a shower and due to the high humidity today (Code Orange at 630am) the steam of the shower is setting it off?

So.... the delema: What to do? I did not see anything on a very short investigation; the alarm appeared to have been acknowledged and then was activated a 2nd time; I'm an Army Geek, who's hours are somewhat flexible, but the next bus is not for another 45 minutes, which would make me very very late.......

Right, I boarded my bus and went to work, hoping that nothing more serious than steam from the shower caused the activation.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, Malahat, I don't know if it's right, wrong or what, but I probably would have done the same thing. Short of an obvious fire or smoke condition, let the homeowner call it in or deal with it.

If you get off the bus tonight and the home is gone, you made the wrong decision.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    Well, Malahat, I don't know if it's right, wrong or what, but I probably would have done the same thing. Short of an obvious fire or smoke condition, let the homeowner call it in or deal with it.

If you get off the bus tonight and the home is gone, you made the wrong decision.

Gee. Thanks 34! But ya, that was basically the same conclusion I came to as well. Nothing showing, no screaming or yelling, the living room seemed clear as well.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

i think Malahat,you are right,you boarded the bus and that is it.you did not see any smoke or people running and shouting in the street,so....
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Badgerland FOOL

I think you made the right call.....nothing showing, no signs of distress and the fact it went out and came back on. Could be showering like you said, bad batteries or a glitch. It more than likely was nothing and like 34 said....you'll find out for sure when you get back after work.

Also, our instincts usually scream at us if something is not right and if that little internal voice wasn't bellering at you its most likely all good.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would have donkey-kicked the door in and opened up with a PW screaming "Don't worry I'll save you!"
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

A smoke detector? I would have been beating on the door telling them to shut that damn thing off, I'm trying to think here.

MembersZone Subscriber

JHR and Voyager... for some reason I can see an image of me doing almost exactly that (or at least a civil equivilant) on most days - just not a work day when I have to "be somewhere". Except for the "Don't worry, I'll save you!" bit... thats not my style.

But ya the S.T.F.U. with the detector thought did come to mind on the second go-around.

MembersZone Subscriber

Malahat

The suspense is killing me. Was the building still there??

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

That happened to me at 4:00 AM Monday!! And in a daze, I tried to take the battery out (caveat -- I live in a small condo, I do have another smoke alarm) and there was no battery as it was wired. So, I closed all the windows and turned on the AC. Even though it's been god-awful humid out for weeks, I don't know why it picked 4 AM Monday morning to go off. I haven't had the AC off since...Don't need anymore rude awakenings and it's too hot anyway (101 right now with a "feels like" 109 in downtown DC! And my little guinea pig didn't even flinch when it was going off (which worries me that it has gone off during the day when I wasn't there and the AC was off and he got used to it, or he's deaf).
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    Malahat

The suspense is killing me. Was the building still there??
    34, ya the house is still standing. Although I kinda sorta (only sorta) wonder what response I would have gotten by knocking on the door at 715am.....

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    34, ya the house is still standing. Although I kinda sorta (only sorta) wonder what response I would have gotten by knocking on the door at 715am.....

at 7.15am,maybe no answer,or just some water into your face....
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Thread Information