MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default 14 Counties Stormready Prepared

How 'bout dis eh?

NWS Says 14 Localities Are Storm-Ready

POSTED: 11:58 am EDT August 6, 2007

RICHMOND, Va. -- The National Weather Service has deemed 14 spots in Virginia as "StormReady" meaning each place is equipped to quickly get the word out to residents about dangerous weather, and help the communities prepare for emergencies.

Richmond is the latest to be added to the list of localities which includes the cities of Chesapeake, Colonial Heights, Danville, Hampton, Newport News and Virginia Beach; and the counties of Campbell, Fairfax, Gloucester, Greene, Loudoun and Prince William.

Norfolk is the only locality in Virginia considered both StormReady and TsunamiReady, which means Norfolk has a plan for getting people into buildings that can withstand a powerful storm surge.

Norfolk emergency management coordinator Ronald Keys said he likes the program's emphasis on training residents to be storm spotters for the city.

However meteorologist Tony Siebers at the weather service's Wakefield office said most localities don't meet the criteria for the StormReady designation.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post

Norfolk emergency management coordinator Ronald Keys said he likes the program's emphasis on training residents to be storm spotters for the city.
    What exactly is a "Storm Spotter"? Do they stand out on the beach with binoculars looking for clouds? Isn't that what the SuperMega-Dopler 6000 the TV news hypes up is for?

Wouldn't the city be safer if its citizens were seeking safe shelter rather then out "Spotting" the storm?
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    What exactly is a "Storm Spotter"? Do they stand out on the beach with binoculars looking for clouds? Isn't that what the SuperMega-Dopler 6000 the TV news hypes up is for?

Wouldn't the city be safer if its citizens were seeking safe shelter rather then out "Spotting" the storm?
    Got me chum. Which works better? A multi-million dollar radar system or a $75.00 pair of Bushnells sitt'n on a deck chair with cooler full of beer and a bag of pretzles?? You be the Judge.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

The traditional use of storm spotters is for isolated severe weather. Things like severe thunderstorms and Tornadoes. These events are isolated, fast moving, and the only really accurate way to report their conditions is with spotters on the ground. Spotters can make the difference between adequate warning and little to no warning.

The only thing spotters are going to be useful for in a hurricane situation is updating the ground conditions periodically. This is more of an informational update rather than real-time urgent information like the aforementioned situation. They are long drawn out events and their effects are widespread. We know in advance what will happen, where it will happen, and when.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Storm Ready program is used to measure a community's readiness and ability to recieve information in the event of a severe weather incident. NOAA has more information on the Storm Ready program here.

There's various requirements that are beneficial for more than just tornadoes and floods. Spotters are only part of the equation, and not much of a part.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    Radar can tell you what's happening at the mid-level altitudes and up but it can't replace firsthand reports of "ground truth". Even the most advanced forecasting models still need weather condition reports from trained observers on the ground.

What is SKYWARN?
    The effects of severe weather are felt every year by many Americans. To obtain critical weather information, NOAA's National Weather Service (NWS), part of the U.S. Department of Commerce, established SKYWARN with partner organizations. SKYWARN is a volunteer program with nearly 280,000 trained severe weather spotters. These volunteers help keep their local communities safe by providing timely and accurate reports of severe weather to the National Weather Service.

More at http://www.weather.gov/skywarn/
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Wink Well..............

Hey Rick! If a Hurricane approaches, should we head for Norfolk??......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

What do everyone do in the FDs to be "Storm Ready"? Most of this seems to be more community oriented than emergency services.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Hey Rick! If a Hurricane approaches, should we head for Norfolk??......
    Sounds like a plan. You get the potato chips and pretzles, I'll grab the beer & soda. Meet ya in the middle somewhere.

Thread Information