Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Coolant conditioner

Can someone describe an engine "coolant conditioner" mentioned in NFPA 1901 A.12.2.2.1, 2003 edition (page 1901-206)?

Is it a mechanical device? How does it work?

6,Diesel engines are susceptible to coolant breakdown(chemical)by the electricity that continually passes thru the vehicle including the engine.Left unchecked,this process changes the Ph of the coolant and causes pitting of the cylinder block and liners.A coolant conditioner allows you to maintain the proper Ph thru DCA conditioning which prevents this damage,In extreme cases the coolant will literally eat thru the liners and allow coolant into the combustion areas.NOT GOOD! In the case of Cummins back as far as my old '62,they had a coolant filter with a DCA "cake"built into it.As the coolant passed thru the filter the DCA gradually dissolved and maintained the proper Ph.I presume today's engines use a similar method.Or they may inject the liquid version instead.Either way,the intent is to maintain a "neutral"Ph. Hth T.C.

Forum Member

I didn't know about the "cakes" in the filter. We use spin-on coolant filters.

Are the DCA additives predominate (or should I say available) in todays stuff?

One of our problem areas is coolant corrosion. It doesn't help that fire service applications consist f man y short trips that don't even get a big diesel up to operating temperature.

I remember some old trucks (CF Mack's) with the radiator shutters, but like anything mechanical, they could create real problems on the off-occasion they failed to open.

Forum Member

How well I remember the old "water filters" we used on the NH220s and the like. Cummins, at least as far up as 1994, still uses essentially the same thing.

I don't know what's used in the DD 60 Series, but on the old 2 stroke engines (53, 71, 92), testing the coolant with test strips and adding Nalcool (or whatever its current name is) as needed, is equally important. My Caterpillar manual discusses SCAs but I haven't found a "filter" on it yet. Presumably you add something along the lines of Nalcool when necessary. I don't know how International handles theirs.

One of the old time mechanics that taught me so much used to say that well over half of the problems that develop on engines can be traced to the cooling system and the lack of maintenance thereof. The older I get the more I believe it.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

MembersZone Subscriber

You old farts don't know anything, now get back to the nursing home before somebody reports you missing! Oh my achin' *****, 220 Cummins, c'mon Sam we were driving those in the 60's and there are still some around today on the farms.
    Hard to believe how much damage water can do, I think thats the reason some guys drink a lot of alcohol.

Hehe Baron,Want to refresh your memory? I've still got one in my fleet.New slugs and everything.Genuine bounceamatic hendrickson rubber suspension too.That Hy- me Metz has got you ruint.There's drivers and wheel holders.Which you wanna be? T.C.

Thread Information