Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Completing the 180.

Hi Everyone,

I'm writing this partly for some advice and part for my own self. I am officially a corporate America dropout. I've got a masters degree in health administration and a decent paying job, which I hate. I'm 27 years old and don't want to get stuck doing something that doesn't excite me for the rest of my life. I'm by no means a crazy thrill seeker, but I do want to be able to look forward to my job when I get out of bed.

I've been thinking really hard about entering the fire department in Raleigh, North Carolina (or one of the surrounding towns). I probably should have saved myself the $100,000 I spent on education and followed my heart when I was 18, but I thought I knew what I was doing then. You see, my father, brother, 2 uncles, and 2 cousins are all career firefighters. I used to live for the stories my dad would come home with. Who am I kidding, I still do live for those stories.

So here's the question I ask. Where do I start? I've spoken with some folks about this and they all recommend taking the EMT courses at a local community college. I've missed the application window for this year for RFD, so I have about 1 year to get that completed. There aren't any volunteer depts within a reasonable driving distance, so I'm not sure I could gain any experience up that road. I can tell you that I'm a 6'1", 185 lbs guy who is very physically fit. Talking with my brother (Myrtle Beach FD), he thinks I would kill the CPAT. Everything sounds OK so far, right? Well, I have Type I diabetes. I've read up on the NFPA rules for hiring a Type I diabetic and I meet all the requirements (a1c 6.2% at last check, no episodes in the last 5 years, good physical condition, diet well, would have OK from any physician examining me). Does anyone have an experience with this? I know on paper (for legal reasons) it states that diabetes alone cannot disqualify you, but what are the realities of it all? I really think I would have a great shot at getting hired if it weren't for this.

Any help is appreciated, as are all of you for everything you do each day.

rpd

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by rpd295 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm writing this partly for some advice and part for my own self. I am officially a corporate America dropout. I've got a masters degree in health administration and a decent paying job, which I hate. I'm 27 years old and don't want to get stuck doing something that doesn't excite me for the rest of my life. I'm by no means a crazy thrill seeker, but I do want to be able to look forward to my job when I get out of bed.

I've been thinking really hard about entering the fire department in Raleigh, North Carolina (or one of the surrounding towns). I probably should have saved myself the $100,000 I spent on education and followed my heart when I was 18, but I thought I knew what I was doing then. You see, my father, brother, 2 uncles, and 2 cousins are all career firefighters. I used to live for the stories my dad would come home with. Who am I kidding, I still do live for those stories.

So here's the question I ask. Where do I start? I've spoken with some folks about this and they all recommend taking the EMT courses at a local community college. I've missed the application window for this year for RFD, so I have about 1 year to get that completed. There aren't any volunteer depts within a reasonable driving distance, so I'm not sure I could gain any experience up that road. I can tell you that I'm a 6'1", 185 lbs guy who is very physically fit. Talking with my brother (Myrtle Beach FD), he thinks I would kill the CPAT. Everything sounds OK so far, right? Well, I have Type I diabetes. I've read up on the NFPA rules for hiring a Type I diabetic and I meet all the requirements (a1c 6.2% at last check, no episodes in the last 5 years, good physical condition, diet well, would have OK from any physician examining me). Does anyone have an experience with this? I know on paper (for legal reasons) it states that diabetes alone cannot disqualify you, but what are the realities of it all? I really think I would have a great shot at getting hired if it weren't for this.

Any help is appreciated, as are all of you for everything you do each day.

rpd

First go to a doctor and get yourself diagnosed no need to worry yourself about something if you dont have it and if you do you know you have it and what type you and you know what to do.

Are you sure you missed the Raliegh window ? and i doubt its going to be a year they are always accepting applications.

And to be honest if your not 21 there are very few places you can get on. But being that you are 27 you dont have to worry about that SO.. Test Everywhere and dont put all your eggs in one basket. As i was told by a fellow brother and you should really look into the vollies even if it isnt reasonable say 30mins ? takes me about 15 to get to mine.

EMT is defly a great thing to have since a majority of calls are EMS related

RPD...

If you want to know where to start.. look to the immediate resource: your family members inthe fire service!

As far as being diabetic.. we have a firefighter on my FD who is also tpe 1 has an insulin pump, knows when he needs to eats a little more and has had just 1 diabetic episode in his 18 years on the department (pre-pump, and the pharmacy gave him the wrong insulin).

Go for it!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information