Thread: Aerials

Forum Member

Question Aerials

does any one know of a 100% volie dept with an aerial platform??

Forum Member

Many depts on Long Island New York have them,why?

MembersZone Subscriber

Mine does Pierce cab with Sutphen aerial ....and I know of a number of others.
    Some are paid per call (my dept.) or stipened (does that still count as vollie?)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by WaterbryVTfire; 08-09-2007 at 05:11 PM. Reason: additional info
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe Rockport, Texas has one.

Forum Member

I think Pasadena TX has one.
    I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. ~Edward F. Croker

IACOJ
    Jake

Forum Member

I know of one dept that has a Platform around me.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

We are a 100 % all Vol department here in Woodbridge Township, N.J. fire district # 4. We run a Mack/Baker 75' Aerialscope apparatus. The other fire districts in the Township are District 5 - 95' E-One RM Platform , District 9 - 100 ' Seagrave RM Stick , District 12 - 93' ALF/LTI MM Platform !...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 08-10-2007 at 10:03 AM.

Forum Member

well were lookin into a crimson 100' rear mount and i was just wonderin because no one around us has one and i have never heard of a vollie dept with one

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nfddrew View Post
    What difference if they have a straight stick, or a tiller? Why does it matter what the type of apparatus is?

Do you want to be a firefighter?

Or are you asking because you think you will fill your chest with medals and get inside all the girls underwear because of them if you are on a "aerial platform"?
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

There are probably 85 all-volunteer departments in Montgomery and Bucks County, Pa. that run platforms. And thats just 1/2 of southeastern Pa (not including Delaware and Chester Counties)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Try Cy-Fair VFD , Harris County, Texas. We have two 100' platforms and a 75'stick.

Forum Member

add us to the list ..........POC>............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

most departments or fire districts in NJ that are 100% tend to have their own aerials.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

I know of so many, I couldn't even begin to count. Hundreds, maybe thousands. Matter of fact, I'm sure there are more total platforms in all-volunteer depts than career depts in the US. There are 14 platforms in our county alone, out of 26 all-volunteer depts (county is 100% volunteer). Point being, it's the NORM, not the exception.

Now you want to talk about unique situations with aerial apparatus, how about the all-volunteer dept in our county that runs two TDA's? THAT is highly unusual. Aside from that one dept, there are two other all-volunteer depts in our county that each run a TDA.

MembersZone Subscriber

We do, are POC, and are the only one in our region that has a stick (no platform).

I suspect that will change for at least one other local dept in the next 5 years though. There are some very cost effective small aerials out there these days. This one of ours (65' telesqurt) was the cost of a mid-level custom pumper.

Last edited by mcaldwell; 08-10-2007 at 03:26 AM.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    What difference if they have a straight stick, or a tiller? Why does it matter what the type of apparatus is?

Do you want to be a firefighter?

Or are you asking because you think you will fill your chest with medals and get inside all the girls underwear because of them if you are on a "aerial platform"?
    “doc” I have seen some really stupid, pot stirring & “pot-shot” posts from you but this is one of your best yet.

Did it ever occur to you this gent wants to maybe get in contact with other departments like his so they could talk of platform benefits for small volunteer departments? Maybe he wants to give his city / purchasing authority some examples of 100% Volunteer departments that also use platforms?

I have a real problem with you and people like you who like to look like “the big man” on this board – make no mistake about that. You’re a trouble maker and a poor example. If you can’t provide a helpful answer to this fine Volley – shut your mouth.

NOW to “nfddrew” - original poster: Below please find some pics of some all volley departments with platforms like you asked about.
    Bay city TX
    Nazareth PA
    LeMars IA
    Latham NY
    (and not pictured)-Clarion PA

(to my knowledge these departments may have one paid member or so, but an all Volley force) TL
    Last edited by SSIaerialmanTIM; 08-10-2007 at 02:53 AM.

Permanently Removed

And Nazareth PA

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=SSIaerialmanTIM;848611
    I have a real problem with you and people like you who like to look like “the big man” on this board – make no mistake about that. You’re a trouble maker and a poor example. If you can’t provide a helpful answer to this fine Volley – shut your mouth. J

[/QUOTE]

Wow. This and 30cents will get me a pack of Wrigleys Gum.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

My dept does. We are 100% vollie.
    Last edited by Wbensm; 10-22-2007 at 02:20 AM.

Forum Member

We are trying to get a Quint but may get a stick.
    of course the flexability of the Quint would be nice, but right now we have no way to get above 2nd story roof. Small Dept. 24 members covering approx 100 sq miles 3 manufacturing areas and 4 schools 2 of which we cannot access the roof. 5+ 3 story bldgs. City council doesnt see the need. we have 2 engines one of which is barely able to respond. Really need to get a reliable engine and would really like to see some sort of aerial platform to do the job better.
    I can see why you would ask. according to some in the city no Vol dept's should have one.
    Not trying to pound my chest just wanting to do my best for my city. For the "Do you want to be a firefighter?

Or are you asking because you think you will fill your chest with medals and get inside all the girls underwear because of them if you are on a "aerial platform"?"
    Married and dont need another to nag at me.
    Oh when did they give medals for the apparatus you have?
    As far as I know and I could likely be wrong but most Vol's dont get medals we get to go home.

Thanks for the info on Vol dept's with Aerials and maybe we can use it to get the city to listen. Doubtful but never hurts to try.

Located in North Texas, Farmersville.
    Last edited by ghost62; 08-10-2007 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Forgot to state wher we are.
    Imagine Having done nothing.

150 years of tradition unhampered by progress!

Forum Member

To add pictures to Weruj's post............

------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    To add pictures to Weruj's post............

That looks alot like our old truck that we just retired
    Last edited by Wbensm; 10-22-2007 at 02:19 AM.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ghost62 View Post
    We are trying to get a Quint but may get a stick.
    of course the flexability of the Quint would be nice, but right now we have no way to get above 2nd story roof. Small Dept. 24 members covering approx 100 sq miles 3 manufacturing areas and 4 schools 2 of which we cannot access the roof. 5+ 3 story bldgs. City council doesnt see the need. we have 2 engines one of which is barely able to respond. Really need to get a reliable engine and would really like to see some sort of aerial platform to do the job better.
    I can see why you would ask. according to some in the city no Vol dept's should have one.
    Not trying to pound my chest just wanting to do my best for my city. For the "Do you want to be a firefighter?

Or are you asking because you think you will fill your chest with medals and get inside all the girls underwear because of them if you are on a "aerial platform"?"
    Married and dont need another to nag at me.
    Oh when did they give medals for the apparatus you have?
    As far as I know and I could likely be wrong but most Vol's dont get medals we get to go home.

Thanks for the info on Vol dept's with Aerials and maybe we can use it to get the city to listen. Doubtful but never hurts to try.

Located in North Texas, Farmersville.
    Our fire department only covers 3 sq miles and has 4 apartment complexes that are over 35' tall .Back in 1985 we got our very first Aerial apparatus a remanufactured Mack/Baker 75' tower ladder, it was not easy trying to get the " VOTERS OF THE FIRE DISTRICT " for approval to spend $ 225,000 in capital funds . With todays fire truck prices of $ 550,000 - 1000,000 for a aerial it will be a tough fight !.. Good Luck & Stay Safe . NJFFII

MembersZone Subscriber

95' Pierce

Forum Member

WOW i cant belive all the response THANKS a lot aerials is a virgin territory for a Vollie dept in my area the city thinks that they souuld be the only ones with the right. but with an industrial park in our back yard we need some serious equipment.

Thread Information