Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default DOD departments in Maryland

Hey everyone:

I might be moving to Annapolis, MD or Aurora, CO (spelling is off for both) in the near future. Does anyone know of what DOD bases are within driving distance of these particular areas? I do not mind driving several hours. Just figured I might find a job, since I already have a couple years experience with Fed Fire and all the certs.

Stay safe,

Kev

MembersZone Subscriber

Everything depends on what you mean by driving distance. I know people who communte from where I'm at in southern Maryland to Walter Reed, the Naval Academy and Carderock (about 60-70 miles).

Off the top of my head, there is the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Bolling AFB, Andrews AFB, Office of Naval Research and probably others in the DC area and NAS Patuxent River or Indian Head in southern Maryland. I don't know the hiring status of any of those.

Forum Member

I hope this helps:
    Aberdeen Test Center, MD
    Andrews AFB, MD
    Fort Detrick, MD
    Fort Meade, MD
    NAS Patuxent River, MD
    US Naval Academy, MD

Forum Member

Helps big time!

Thanks guys.

Kev

Aberdeen Test Center is a small component of Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md.

And try and avoid Naval Dod Civilian Depts. right now.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

I live in Annapolis. There are quite a few bases in the area - you have to remember we are not far from DC.

So to start there is the Naval Academy with its fire department. then you have the naval academy support station (half mile away) with its own house too. You go north by 20 miles and you hit Ft. Meade which is substantially larger and I think has 2 houses on base.

Go Northeast 70 miles and you have dover airforce base

Go southwest about 35 miles and you are now in DC with a lot of different basses.

I can give you a little more help if you narrow it down a little. Colorado or Maryland are not exactly on the same side of the country.

Are you looking for a full time, part time or volunteer?

Forum Member

Buckley AFB, Denver CO
    Chyenne Mountain Complex, Colorado Springs CO
    Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs CO
    Falcon AFS, Colorado Springs CO
    Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs CO
    Ft. Carson Army Base, Colorado Spings CO
    FE Warren AFB, Chyenne, Wyoming

http://ask.afpc.randolph.af.mil/

https://cpolwapp.belvoir.army.mil/pu...fNom/index.jsp

GS Series is 0081

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg34 View Post
    Buckley AFB, Denver CO
    Chyenne Mountain Complex, Colorado Springs CO
    Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs CO
    Falcon AFS, Colorado Springs CO
    Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs CO
    Ft. Carson Army Base, Colorado Spings CO
    FE Warren AFB, Chyenne, Wyoming

http://ask.afpc.randolph.af.mil/

https://cpolwapp.belvoir.army.mil/pu...fNom/index.jsp

GS Series is 0081
    Falcon AFS is now Schriever AFB. Also, all the Colorado bases are being contracted out. Not sure if this effects you (dont know if you are military or not).

Forum Member

How do you know all the bases are being contracted. Used to work at Peterson and my old buddies there know nothing about that

Forum Member

Question

FWDbuff,

What's wrong with Naval DOD Civilian Depts?
    Last edited by Clfdsta5; 08-10-2007 at 01:19 PM.

OSD122

Quote Originally Posted by arff42 View Post
    Hey everyone:

I might be moving to Annapolis, MD or Aurora, CO (spelling is off for both) in the near future. Does anyone know of what DOD bases are within driving distance of these particular areas? I do not mind driving several hours. Just figured I might find a job, since I already have a couple years experience with Fed Fire and all the certs.

Stay safe,

Kev
    To add to Eng34FF's list, there is also Fort Meyer, Fort Belvoir, and Quantico MCB just across the way from DC on the other side of the Potomac River. Walter Reed is part of the BRAC, so I'd look other places. I also hear the moral with Naval District of Washington is low, but those with inside knowledge correct me if I'm wrong.

You don't see companies that cover Bolling AFB and Navy property in DC running on city boxes. Fort Meyer's engines run off base on auto aide to Arlington County boxes. Samething with Fort Belvoir's engine and tower on Fairfax County boxes. Even Quantico Marine Corp Base runs automatic on Prince William and Stafford County calls for an engine, truck and/or rescue.

If you're also interested in volunteering somewhere, there's a lot of volunteer departments in the area too that will run way more calls than DOD departments.
    Last edited by OSD122; 08-11-2007 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clfdsta5 View Post
    FWDbuff,

What's wrong with Naval DOD Civilian Depts?
    Nothing, unless if you like being RIF'd, reduced manning, regionalization of departments, budget cutting being done by chainsaw, etc etc etc.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Nothing, unless if you like being RIF'd, reduced manning, regionalization of departments, budget cutting being done by chainsaw, etc etc etc.
    I 've been with a civilian department for 4 years and have seen none of this. In fact we just received two new Pierce pumpers, and have been hiring.

Forum Member

Default Camp Lejuene

How can I apply for your department?

Kev

Forum Member

Arff42,

Email me @ Rautry2@ec.rr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Clfdsta5 View Post
    I 've been with a civilian department for 4 years and have seen none of this. In fact we just received two new Pierce pumpers, and have been hiring.
    I can't say much about the Marine Corps (Civilian) FD's, perhaps your administrators have tight control over your budget, and have convinced the beancounters that your existance is vital. But if you dont know about the budget/personnel slashing and regionalization of the Naval Departments from D.C. all the way up to Maine (and pretty much everywhere else for that matter) you must not hear very much Dod Fire Dept news down there. Good regionalization example: One Fire Chief has been placed in charge of three facilities: two of them are located in the Philadelphia Metropolitan area, about 30 miles apart from one another, and the third is in Harrisburg, Pa......One hundred miles away!

It is reported that the beancounters at NAVFACCOM have ordered the reduction of 40 (yes, that's fourty) engine companies in fiscal year 07-08.

One of the facilities in the Philadelphia Metro Region is so understaffed that their personnel are being forced OT to the point that they are working 5 shifts straight. Whats the DoD Directive that states no more than 72? Is it 616? Doesnt matter to them, the admin at that facility uses it as toilet paper. Screw the directive. The crash trucks gotta be manned! Oh, and yeah, because of the reduction in manning, screw the structural rigs, just get out there on hard stand! There's a war on you know! Them planes gotta fly!

Go take a peek at DodFire.com sometime.

Forum Member

FUTUREFIREDAWG.... Please read the following regarding contracting. In short... NO colorado bases ( or any stateside for that matter ) are going to be contracted.

ARFF42.... Regarding your Colorado move... Id look at either the USAFA or Ft Carson. www.carson.army.mil/fire

House Committee Stands Up For Military Fire Fighters
    May 11, 2007 – The House Armed Services Committee, led by Chairman Ike Skelton (D-MO) and Ranking Member Duncan Hunter (R-CA), have unanimously rejected a proposal by the Department of Defense (DoD) to privatize military fire fighting. The Committee also added language to the annual Defense Authorization bill to secure collective bargaining rights for thousands of fire fighters and other DoD civilian employees.

In a decisive 58-0 vote, the House Armed Services Committee approved H.R. 1585 which reaffirmed a 20-year ban on privatizing fire protection at military bases. Since 1986, DoD has tried to repeal the ban and, with the backing of the IAFF, Congress has again reinforced it this year. Congress’ rejection of DoD’s plan safeguards military families and the nation’s military infrastructure and represents greater job security for 3,000 IAFF federal fire fighters.

The rejection of the plan comes two weeks after IAFF General President Harold Schaitberger wrote a letter to Chairman Solomon Ortiz (D-TX) and Ranking Member Jo Ann Davis (R-VA) of the House Armed Services Committee’s Subcommittee on Readiness urging the Committee to remove the privatization plan from the administration’s version of the defense bill, arguing that it “would jeopardize the safety of our nation’s military personnel and vital military assets.” The letter made clear that “it would be penny-wise and pound-foolish to turn these critical functions over to the lowest-bid contract fire fighters, who may lack the necessary training and security clearances to fulfill their duties effectively.”

The defense bill also includes a provision to roll back the National Security Personnel System (NSPS), a new personnel system that undermines collective bargaining and institutes merit pay for civilian DoD employees. Under the language adopted by the House Armed Services Committee, NSPS would be amended to restore important labor protections. As a member of the United DoD Workers Coalition (UDWC), a coalition comprised of 36 labor organizations representing 750,000 DoD civilian employees, the IAFF joined forces with congressional allies and the labor community to reverse course on the three-year old administration law that gave DoD unprecedented flexibility to ignore longstanding civil service protections.

President Schaitberger commended the Committee’s action, saying, “Today is a historic day for military fire fighters. Chairman Skelton and the Armed Services Committee reiterated that military fire fighting is mission critical. Pure and simple, privatizing fire protection puts our military bases and our military families at risk. The safety of our military families should not be sold off to the lowest-bid contract.”

The full House will consider the bill next and the Senate begins consideration of its version of the bill on May 21.

Forum Member

Default ColoradoFireGuy

Hi:

I tried to email the web master but it came back to me. I am also planning to test with city departments in the Aroura areas. Until then, I will have to travel from Denver into LAX and keep working at Plant 42.

Are you with Colorado somewhere?

Stay safe,

Kev
    IAFF I25

Forum Member

ARFF42- yeah, im @ carson so Im a little bias. Shoot me a line and I can get you info on the some Denver Metro area and what the outlook is. We just got done hiring here at my Dept but keep your eyes peeled.

Forum Member

Default ColoradoFireGuy

Do you have an email I can reach you at?

Kev

Thread Information