Thread: Dispatching EMS

Forum Member

Default Dispatching EMS

I was reading a NIOSH report a few minutes ago. This question has nothing to do with the substance of the report.

One of the other events that was going on was a search for a possible victim
    "T9 fire fighters spoke with a confused resident of the house and confirmed that at least one female was trapped upstairs."

Five minutes later:
    "two T9 fire fighters found an unconscious female in a bedroom at the
    top of the stairs to the left, and extricated her to the front yard where CPR was performed and an ambulance called."

My question is: If EMS isn't part of the initial response, when do you call, at the report of a possible victim or when you actually find somebody?

Before you ask the report is here: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/fire/pdfs/face200619.pdf
    There's some pretty good basic CO information starting on page 6.
    Last edited by DonSmithnotTMD; 08-09-2007 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added report URL
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

MembersZone Subscriber

EMS should be part of the initial response. If it isn't, you'll have to dedicate FIRE resources to triage and treatment.

My department dispatches an ALS transport unit on all reported structure fires. If it turns out to be a working fire, another ALS transport unit is dispatched.
    "...there isn't a firefighter in the free world who is forced to join this profession." -John Norman

Forum Member

this is always fun here too .............at my depatment all apparatus carry medicl gear from ILS through ALS. As far a transport if staffing allows we send one of our own or request a rig mutual aid.

Where I work full time dispatching EMS only...we send an ALS transport unit on working fires vs a tactical box. If there is any report of anyone trapped or it is listed as unkown if occupied then it goes automatically.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I dispatch part time for an ambulance service that covers a city with a career fire department. If the fire dept. lays a line, no matter what the call is, that is when we send the ambulance. Of course we send one to anything else upon their request as well. In my fire department (volunteer), we provide our own ems. The ambulance is sent on initial dispatch if manpower allows it. If we do not have manpower, an ambulance is called in mutal aid.

MembersZone Subscriber

BLS is dispatched on the initial
    A second BLS is added when its confirmed working fire.
    ALS is optionally added depending on the report/request of IC.
    ALS is added on Mayday (of course one could argue its too late)
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    this is always fun here too .............at my depatment all apparatus carry medicl gear from ILS through ALS. As far a transport if staffing allows we send one of our own or request a rig mutual aid.

Where I work full time dispatching EMS only...we send an ALS transport unit on working fires vs a tactical box. If there is any report of anyone trapped or it is listed as unkown if occupied then it goes automatically.
    Same here. We are EMS (ALS level) but we dont do transport, so we get a transport unit on all workers to stand by for our people. If we find a victim, a second transport unit is called to replace the first when they transport the victim.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

EMS transports are by a private service at the Paramedic level.

We request them to respond for all working fires as part of the initial dispatch for the safety of our personnel and for treatment of potential victims.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I believe we just changed this. We used to have the squad with us on a lot of alarm calls. Now we just have them hold in quarters. But if it's anything where there's victims, or FF's could get hurt, (working fire, rescue, MVA (if they're not on scene already)) we'll have them respond usually. But we're holding them in quarters for the alarms we get now.

Thread Information