MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up Colombine High School... Et All

No, its not quite what you were thinking - this is a "good" story (at least I think it is.)

Fathers Create Bulletproof Backpacks
    Parents Take Defensive Action

POSTED: 7:08 am EDT August 10, 2007
    UPDATED: 7:32 am EDT August 10, 2007

BOSTON -- It's time for parents to make the annual trek to get back-to-school items, which usually includes jeans, jerseys and a few notebooks.

Boston television station WCVB reported Thursday that a couple of Boston men want parents to consider something else -- a bulletproof backpack.

"They have them with them on the floor, on their laps, on the bus. They always have a backpack," said Joe Curran, of My Child's Pack.

It started with the Columbine shooting in 1999. Curran and Mike Pelonzi said that they watched and worried for their own children. They had the idea to hide bulletproof material inside a backpack. They call it defensive action.

"If the kid has a backpack next to them, or under the desk, they can pick it up, the straps act as a handle and it becomes a shield," Curran said.

It's much lighter than a 15-pound police vest. After three years of experimenting, the backpacks that were tested by an outside lab ranked threat level two. It stops an assortment of bullets, including 9-millimeter hollow point bullets. The fathers researched school shootings from 1900 to this year.

They will sell for $175, but do the special book bags play upon paranoia when most schools are called safe?

"I want to keep my kid safe," Curran said. "I don't care what you do -- if you want to fight the good fight or fix the world's hurts, I can't help you, but my kids are going to be safe because of these backpacks."

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's a better Idea than the one our Oklahoma senator had.

He wanted students to have giant books, so they can use them as shields in a shooting.......

I actually think those guys might be on to something. If you don't focus on "school shootings" you have a lot of kids walking home after shool in neighborhoods that are drowning in drive by shootings. That backbag might come in handy in a situation like that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    It's a better Idea than the one our Oklahoma senator had.

He wanted students to have giant books, so they can use them as shields in a shooting.......

I actually think those guys might be on to something. If you don't focus on "school shootings" you have a lot of kids walking home after shool in neighborhoods that are drowning in drive by shootings. That backbag might come in handy in a situation like that.
    And then you will have some moron legislator introducing a government program to buy all kids in the 'hood a $175 backpack. It's unlikely that neighborhoods are drowning in drive by shootings where people could actually afford a $175 back pack.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    And then you will have some moron legislator introducing a government program to buy all kids in the 'hood a $175 backpack. It's unlikely that neighborhoods are drowning in drive by shootings where people could actually afford a $175 back pack.
    I just said that this is a situation where I could also see something like that backback being helpful, I never said it was feasible. The idea is good, how to put it into practice is a whole seperate question.

Who knows, maybe with mass production they can lower the price. Maybe neighborhood organizations, church groups, etc, etc, can get together and buy those things for people. It should be the comunities job to help better their comunity. If you depent on someone on the state or federal level to fix your neighborhood, youre screwed. But that is a whole other soapbox.

So my final two points:

I think the backbag is a good concept, not sure how to make it work and affordable for the majority of people (although if you don't buy one $80 pair of jeans and one $100 pair of shoes for your 12 year old you could pay for one, and believe me, I see lots of "poor" people dressed in clothes like that)

And I will agree with you on this: Whatever solution they come up with will be a good idea, until the Government comes along to screw it up.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just said that this is a situation where I could also see something like that backback being helpful, I never said it was feasible. The idea is good, how to put it into practice is a whole seperate question.

Who knows, maybe with mass production they can lower the price. Maybe neighborhood organizations, church groups, etc, etc, can get together and buy those things for people. It should be the comunities job to help better their comunity. If you depent on someone on the state or federal level to fix your neighborhood, youre screwed. But that is a whole other soapbox.

So my final two points:

I think the backbag is a good concept, not sure how to make it work and affordable for the majority of people (although if you don't buy one $80 pair of jeans and one $100 pair of shoes for your 12 year old you could pay for one, and believe me, I see lots of "poor" people dressed in clothes like that)

And I will agree with you on this: Whatever solution they come up with will be a good idea, until the Government comes along to screw it up.
    Hang on. The Wizard will be back in a few minutes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hang on. The Wizard will be back in a few minutes.
    I'm sure at some point in history, the majority of people and politicians (notice I don't think that politicians are people) thought that giving every cop a bulletproof vest was a waste of damn good tax-money....

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sure at some point in history, the majority of people and politicians (notice I don't think that politicians are people) thought that giving every cop a bulletproof vest was a waste of damn good tax-money....
    So you think that a police officer, who has the potential to face an armed encounter virtually every time he goes to work, and a child, who statistically hsa a better chance of being struck by lightning than being involved in a school shooting are a good comparison? So do I.

I will begin advocating every single person in the US buying their own SCBA. After all, there are neighborhoods drowning in fatal house fires. It will be a bit of inconvenience in the pocketbook, but if you don't buy 30 pairs of $100 jeans, you should be able to afford it. And, believe me, most people have at least 30 pairs of jeans in their closet.

If you think this idea is silly, don't worry. Most people thought every FF having an SCBA was silly, too, huh?

MembersZone Subscriber

I like GeorgeLand, the weather is nice.

There are lots of cities where a child has a pretty high chance of becoming a statistic. In our city there is a decent chance that a child will be shot on his way to school or on his way home because of a drive by. We have not had any school shootings in our town, but we had about 5 kids (12 and younger) that I can think off die this year because they were hit during drive by's.

George, don't even pretent to deny that it ****ed you off that parents and kids walk around in $100 shoes, but still draw welfare. That they spend money on buying their kids iPods, but not school supplies. That kids have $200 cell phones, but according to you cannot afford to buy a backbag that could save a life.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also we have not had any kids in our town, or state, get hit by lightning. But feel free to come to our Trauma Center and ask the docs and nurses how many kids they had to declare dead from a shooting.

Sorry my messed up little town is screwing up your statistics.

Forum Member

Well that sounds like a good idea. But here in Bristol, TN, kids are not allowed to have their backpacks with them. They must be left in the locker at all times.

People couldn't afford backpacks like that. Well, some. At least I know I couldn't have. And if the gov't had to pay for them, you better believe they're gonna stick it to you somewhere else. Of course they could take it out of their $4 million "bovine flatulence study fund". I heard on the news a few years ago that they were studying to see if cow poots could erode the ozone layer. Ah, tax money in action

Of course they're not still doing that study, but y'all know what I mean.

Too bad they couldn't aim more at prevention. But, you can't sit every kid down and give them a bit of therapy.
    Last edited by SapphyreBlues; 08-10-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Forum Member

So, as the kid is walking down the street to school, is he supposed to have the backpack up and covering his side all the time, as to protect him from a drive by shooting?

Are they better than nothing? Probably. Are they truly practical? Not.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Marcus, you don't live in the Metro DC Area, do you?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I like GeorgeLand, the weather is nice.

There are lots of cities where a child has a pretty high chance of becoming a statistic. In our city there is a decent chance that a child will be shot on his way to school or on his way home because of a drive by. We have not had any school shootings in our town, but we had about 5 kids (12 and younger) that I can think off die this year because they were hit during drive by's.

George, don't even pretent to deny that it ****ed you off that parents and kids walk around in $100 shoes, but still draw welfare. That they spend money on buying their kids iPods, but not school supplies. That kids have $200 cell phones, but according to you cannot afford to buy a backbag that could save a life.
    How many children in your city were shot last year in school, on their way to school, at the bus stop or on the way home from school? Please cite a source.

Nice hijack, but this thread has absolutely nothing to do with what parents buy their children to wear or use.

MembersZone Subscriber

Might as well. It grows on trees.

A Gov't funded program in my area was to send home with the "po kids" a pack of snack foods for the summer. Somehow my youngest ended up with another kids "package". About $25 of snakc pack pudding, fruit rollups, etc (great foods for strong bodies). Now one couldn't put the loot in an evil plastic 2 cent shopping bag. The stuff came packed, likely by dedicated social workers, in a $75 Northface daypack. A lot nicer bag than I'd buy for my kids to carry to school every day.

With school starting in a couple weeks I trust we have purchased a supply of Kelty or Patigonia packs for the underclasses back to school books, pencils, crack, and pot.

Forum Member

Also we have not had any kids in our town, or state, get hit by lightning. But feel free to come to our Trauma Center and ask the docs and nurses how many kids they had to declare dead from a shooting.
    Why must we always pick on guns? Kids are about 7 times as likely to drown as they are to be shot. (Child death figures are 1 for every 11,000 pools but only 1 for every million guns.1) Why is there no outcry to outlaw pools?

Before we start advocating for level 2 threat backpacks shouldn't we be buying them all life jackets and forcing them to wear them all the time?

Hey, better yet, how about we advocate for something useful like smoke detectors or residential sprinklers?

1. http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/specialreports/79388.php
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Hey, better yet, how about we advocate for something useful like smoke detectors or residential sprinklers?
    IF you mean "we", as in the fire service, "we" need to complete that advocating with putting such items in our own houses and firehouses too.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Honestly I think it's a good idea. I have two kids, one starts school next year another in 4 years. I do not want my kids to become a statistic. The price is higher than I want but I will have to think what is more important to me.

If it never gets shot at once, that is perfectly fine by me.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEMVFD View Post
    Honestly I think it's a good idea. I have two kids, one starts school next year another in 4 years. I do not want my kids to become a statistic. The price is higher than I want but I will have to think what is more important to me.

If it never gets shot at once, that is perfectly fine by me.
    How many children in your city were shot last year in school, on their way to school, at the bus stop or on the way home from school? Please cite a source.

Forum Member

So someone invented this to make money on parents fears............ oh how nice. Waste !
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Man, when I was in grade school, we carried so many books that our backpacks probably could have stopped an RPG. I'm not so sure there is a need for the armor plating, unless you want to make the backpacks heavy enough to be used as weapons themselves.

These backpacks aren't going to keep parents from carelessly leaving their guns in accessible areas for their kids to get their hands on them. That's a big problem that no $175 backpack will fix.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

MembersZone Subscriber

If these guys were serious about their kids' safety and not just out to make a buck they'd be lobbying for seat belts on school busses, etc.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess there are no takers to the challenge to quote some statistics about the epidemic of children dying on the way to school, at the bus stop, at school, or on the way home from school in certain cities. I am not surprised. Because the numbers are likely zero. Another urban myth shot to hell.

IACOJ BOD

George

Are they mything the point?
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

No, not at all. They just make stuff up in an attempt to sound intelligent. But facts never lie.

MembersZone Subscriber

No, not at all. They just make stuff up in an attempt to sound intelligent. But facts never lie.
    I take offense to that George.

You have no idea what risks my kids (if I had any) would take every day to wait at the end of my dead end road in the suburbs waiting for the bus. You just never know when the neighbors will drive by and toss out a random wave.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information