Thread: ALS Standby

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ALS Standby

Someone in a previous thread mentioned that OSHA 1910.120q requires an ALS Unit with transport capabilities to be standing by whenever an entry is made. I have reveiwed the regs and can not find any reference to a stand-by transport unit. I work for an industrial emergency unit and during a hazmat incident we do not have any medical ALS or BLS staff standing by except the incident commander. I know this is BAD but the company will only pay for 2-3 responders per shift and it is a huge deal if we call the local municipal fire/ems department. Any help with regs that we could present to make a case for calling the local Fire/EMS for the EMS standby would be great!
    Thanks!
    -Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

The following is what i found in OSHA 1910.120, note this does not apply if you are involved in a government regulated clean up operation of a Hazardous waste site, Other than that exception it appears to apply to anyone who performs emrgency response operations. Hope this helps.

1910.120(q)(3)(vi)
    Back-up personnel shall be standing by with equipment ready to provide assistance or rescue. Qualified basic life support personnel, as a minimum, shall also be standing by with medical equipment and transportation capability.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unfortunately, by the definition of emergency response in 1910.120 very few industrial or private response firms are considered to be performing "Emergency Response Activities". Thus 1910.120(q)(3)(vi) would not apply.

Do you work for a private company providing clean-up services or for an industrial on-site team? Having worked as a Project Manager for a private clean-up contractor in the past I can tell you that I had on occasion called the local FD to give them a heads up on our operation if I felt we were going to be making a high hazard or risk entry.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have read 1910.120(a)(3) and I am not sure if we would qualify or not. We (Emergency Services Group) are located in an admin building and are dispatched through a communications center. If an employee in any building has an emergency they dial an emergency number or 911 on all site phones goes over to that extension. Then we are dispatched by the communications center. I guess we would qualify because we are designated emergency responders (thats our only job) and also we respond from outside the release area.

To awnser a previous question, no we are not a clean up company. Our group provides emergency services for the employees on our site (EMS, Hazmat, Technical Rescue, and very limited Fire Response)
    Last edited by williamsryan; 08-17-2007 at 06:05 AM.

Thread Information