Default Retirement benefits

Hello everyone!!!

I'm an Italian Firefighter.

What kind of retirement benefits has a career firefighter?

May he retires with full pension benefits at a younger age than other private or public sector employees?

Forum Member

I was in Italy in May, beautiful country. Retirement benefits vary between different cities. In my city you can retire after 20 years with a pension of 50% of your salary. If you serve 25 years you get a pension of 70% of your salary. We have cost of living increases for retirees. Age is not a factor for pension benefits but it is for medical coverage. My city will only pay for medical coverage for retirees over the age of 50. Members who served in the military can "buy" up to 4 years of time to put toward retirement so a member who served 4 years in the military can retire with a pension in as little as 16 years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our dept's retirement is 25 years, no age restrictions, 2/3 of your best 3 years pay average. It can be increased 1% per year for a max of 76% at 30 years.

Forum Member

In the Massachusetts cili service system, the magic numbers are age 55 with 32 years of service. Depending on which option you choose, you get between 70% and 80% of your highest 3 years salary average.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 08-14-2007 at 02:34 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

When I hired on it was 2 1/2% per year with 20 years and 1 % after 20 years., it has since changed and now it is 25 years, you get 2 1/2 % for every year you work up to 100 % paid on your highest salary over the previous 5 years. There is no minimum age. An employee may retire at age 55 regardless of years in service. We also can drop up to 3 years after your 25. employee healthcare is paid, family coverage runs 165.00 per month.

Forum Member

As of about 3 years ago, after roughly 30 years on the job in New Hampshire, you could retire with 100% pay for the rest of your life and whatever insurance benefits your local was able to negotiate for retirees.

It is all over the board Good Sir. I have met some folks that department hopped for the best benefits and retirement stuff.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

(Kentucky) I recently retired and after 20 years (four of it Military that I bought) and am drawing 56% of the three highest years average. The 6% is due to the extra overtime I worked during those three years.

That's 2.5%per year. Full family medical with a premium of $0.00. The was no minimum age requirement.

New firefighters don't have it so good.
    Last edited by SamuelFire; 08-14-2007 at 04:24 PM.

Forum Member

In Californnia many paid municipal fire departments offer a 3% @50 formula which will allow you to retire at 90% of your highest paid year after 30 years of service.

Forum Member

Forum Member

In La, you can retire at 12 1/2 years at 37.5% of the average of your 3 highest years excluding state supplemental pay (6K).

Each additional year is about 3.5%.

Dang. I didn't notice this post was 6 years old. The OP is probably retired by now.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Thread Information