Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Red face Can I get your opinions?

First off I would like to say hello to everyone and that I would like some honest opinions on my sitiuation. Im 28 and am preparing for a career in the fire service. I am currently working as an EMT-I with 2 years exp. in a busy ems system. I have an great relationship with my citys FD's and I get alot of respect from the firefighters with my professionalism and work ethic. I am also going through medic school, and thats where my concern is. Since I started medic school I make alot less money and are getting behind on alot of my bills and im worried that when it comes time for the background it might not reflect who I really am. I have never been in trouble with the law, I don't drink or do drugs, my credit score is in the 680's, I have been helping support a mother with a gambling problem, a sister with multiple medical and health issues but now i have had some collections because of school and to support my family when they need me. I'm doing well in medic school dispite the fact that im stressed out all the time and I don't want to drop out. It's not like I have a big truck with big rims that i can't pay for, I drive a bucket. I'm not having kids that I can't support, I don't have any. It's not like I have a big house with a mortgage I can't afford, I live in a 1 bedroom apartment. My lifestyle is not expensive at all. I only have $1500 in credit card debt that I am paying off now. I'm worried because I feel that me doing the right thing to help my family and to get through school to better myself and my situation will bite me in the behind in the end. Can someone give me insight if you were a B.I.or a department would you give me a chance?
    Last edited by qtipp21; 08-15-2007 at 04:21 PM. Reason: errors

MembersZone Subscriber

Default hang in there

i have extremely bad credit in the past and i jus got hired on a full time dept they looked past the bad credit because i worked hard to prepare for the interview and explained myself well. u dont have to be a perfect candidate but u do need to recognize your faults and prove how u learn from those mistakes u made. but the best thing to do is get distance between u and the bad credit mine was def worse than yours so get through medic and take care of business good luck

My credit used to be very poor as well, and I worked my butt off to fix things. I'm sure if you show that you are working on the problems, make payments, call a credit counsellor and make the efforts to right the problems that will show a lot of integrity on your part.

I really feel for your situation, it's tough to in a situation that feels out of your control, but do your best. I think it's also commendable that you are helping your family as much as you are.

As milkman said, "hang in there", good things are sure to happen!

MembersZone Subscriber

Keep going strong bro! The adversity you're encountering and more importantly, the way that you're handling it, is developing a character in you that will enable you to thrive in the fire service. You're support for your family is inspiring and will not be overlooked in the hiring process or throughout your career. This world needs more firefighters and people that have your heart - so don't give up because you'll be short changing yourself and everyone that you're going to help in the future as a firefighter. Also, if you can stop the damage now, 680 is actually considered an average credit score and shouldn't hurt you in the process. I'm not a career firefighter yet, but I was a helicopter rescue swimmer and door-gunner in the Navy for 5 years, so I know a thing or two about operating efficiently as a part of a team in high stress and hazardous environments, and I can say without doubt, that I would much rather have a person on my team such as yourself, when compared to somebody that has had a much easier road. Good luck to you and your family. God bless.

Forum Member

Default Cut the Cord

I don't drink or do drugs, my credit score is in the 680's, I have been helping support a mother with a gambling problem, but now i have had some collections because of school and to support my family when they need me.

Might be time to cut the cord with mom and direct her where she might get help like GA http://www.gamblersanonymous.org/20questions.html

I'm worried because I feel that me doing the right thing to help my family and to get through school to better myself and my situation will bite me in the behind in the end. Can someone give me insight if you were a B.I.or a department would you give me a chance?

For many going through medic school can be the toughest thing they've ever done. You need to get through and get your certification.

Credit is one of the things that agencies look at. No chief wants bill collectors coming around and attaching wages.

ďSome times I think my mind would kill me if it didnít need me for transportation.Ē

Itís often not the problem but how you write out an explanation for the background. Most candidates turn themselves inside out when a simple explanation is often all that is needed to resolve most of the situations.

Itís not the items of concern, but the when and why. Like most candidates that enter the hiring process, they get hyper vigilant and the voices of panic and guilt start running around in their heads.

When did these incidents happen? If it was a financial problem, what was your financial situation then?

Was this a financial problem? Many candidates live on a shoestring trying to gain the education and experience to get this job. A couple of 60 days late can be explained if you were between jobs. Are the accounts current now? Of course the best course of action is to maintain a good credit rating.

One of my candidates had some outstanding bills. In his current background check he told the investigator told how he was resolving the problem. The investigator told him if he cleared them, he could go forward in the process. He did. He went forward in the hiring process.

I have a background check in the future. I do not have a criminal record nor have I gotten a ticket for the last eight years. I did have a credit card company cancel my account due to late payments. This debt was passed over to a credit collection agency which I paid. I also have some late payments with my health insurance. Living in the Silicon Valley can hit your pockets hard ya know what Iím sayin!!! Does this hurt me in any way???

Reply: Health insurance payments do not show up on credit reports.

Another candidate explained his income became stretched causing some credit problems when his wife quit her job to go back to college to complete her teaching degree. He was able to show a plan where their credit had turned around once his wife graduated, got a teaching job and they started paying down their outstanding bills.

Again, you know the background is coming up at some time. You want to know what your credit report says about you. More than 30% of credit reports have errors. A recent check on mine revealed addresses I have never lived at, wrong birthday, job experience and some of my sons credit.

The best way to find out about your credit is request a free copy from one of the 3 major credit bureaus. Here are the bureaus:

Equifax Credit Information Services
    Box 105518
    Atlanta, GA 30348
    Phone: 877-463-5505 (for Credit Report orders) Phone (800) 685-5000
    (for disputes)

Experian
    Box 949
    Allen, TX 75013-0949
    Phone: 888-397-3742 (for Credit Report orders)
    Phone (800) 583-4080 (for disputes)

Trans Union Corporation (TUC)
    P.O. Box 1000, Chester PA 19022
    Phone: (800) 888-4213 (for Credit Report orders)
    Phone (800) 916-8800 (for disputes)

If there is anything on your report that is not right, you can dispute it. The disputed company has 30 days to respond. If they donít, they will take it off. Many donít respond. If you still have a problem with an item, you can add a 100 word statement explaining why to your credit report.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    I don't drink or do drugs, my credit score is in the 680's, I have been helping support a mother with a gambling problem, but now i have had some collections because of school and to support my family when they need me.

Might be time to cut the cord with mom and direct her where she might get help like GA http://www.gamblersanonymous.org/20questions.html
    Yea thats really good advice..... Why in the world would you tell someone to "cut the cord" to there own parents, especially in a time of need as his mother is in? Yea GA would be a good tool for some help, but "cut the cord" c' mon man thats a little harsh!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Your dedication will pay off...

qtipp21: You are working hard for the right cause, your Medic in the Fire service will be more impressive, and the Employer will not mind the bad credit report as much, due to the fact of fire depts need medics, The future will evolve more toward the firemedic than ever before with Homeland security a focus across the Nation. It is admeral of you to care for your sister in a medical condition, but id have to agree with one of previouse posts with the moms G problem, it will sink you if you are not careful the more you help suport her, the habit is suported as well. Also have you attempted scholarships, awards, student loans etc for medic education asistance ? I worked 4 jobs and was fighting for custody of my son when i went through a two yr paramedic program just to meet rent, school and books
    ( yes had the bad credit by the time i was done too) i did not get asistance since my exspouse made too much money.. he just didnt share it..lol needless to say i have made it through an awesome career it was tough as a female firefighter but medic was awesome which with alot of work i currently am a flightparamedic and educator in combat medical field. You can do anything you put your mind to, hang in there and see if there isnt some local help out there to keep you going.
    Be safe

firemedic

Forum Member

Hey man, I dont want this to sound like Im discounting the way you feel about your situation, but it is not unique.

When i went through medic school, Id already earned a BA from Univ. of Florida, I had former military in my class, people already working as (though illegally) as medics... you get the idea, and there wasnt a person among us who wasnt ready to pull their hair out and jump in front of a bus.

Its not an easy road youve chosen, but its doable, and though it may be the longest year of your life, it still only lasts a year. The fact that you find yourself where/how you are at this point I guess just means youre doing it right; its normal, and your potential employers will understand. After all, they were there too at some point.

Good luck and keep on fighting the good fight!
    Last edited by SkylinePCG; 02-20-2008 at 02:41 AM.

Thread Information