Before I get started, I know that there is a “special” section for this topic, and it more than likely has been discussed before, but I wanted to post this here so I would know it would be seen….

Anyways, I am enrolled with Columbia Southern University to get my BS in Fire Science. Everything was ok until I was looking at different department’s websites and came across Montgomery (AL) Fire Departments website. They said that they required college hours to apply, but it HAD to be from a SACS accredited college. CSU is not accredited by SACS, but it is accredited by:

Distance Education and Training Council (DETC)

Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA)

Department of Postsecondary Education, State of Alabama

The Board of Certified Safety Professionals

American Council on Education (ACE)

Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL)

Since online degrees are becoming widely common, how can a department “discriminate” against a school because it’s not SACS accredited? Many fire departments and police departments across the country accept CSU degrees. This also goes for any online university (Except Keiser University, its SACS but only offers Associates in Fire Science).

And I know people are going to say why didn’t I take it through the University of Memphis, it’s because they require you to get all of your core classes out of the way first, and they are a little expensive.

My point is this; many many people are spending money and time to get degrees from online universities only for someone to say “Sorry but we don’t take that degree”. Does anyone know of any other places that does this?