Forum Member

Default Feedback on Performance Evaluations

Hello all,
    I am a recently promoted Captain in a city with a population of approximately 40,000. I have been assigned to a new project team that will be responsible for revamping our Firefighter Performance Evaluation process. I would greatly appreciate any feedback that you may have, including anything sample documents, ideas, suggestions you might want to send. I am open to any feedback. Anyone wishing to contact me with feedback may contact me at stanfkd@ci.danville.va.us. Thanks and be safe.

Forum Member

1. Do them. We are supposed to have them annually, I think my last one was 4 years ago.

2. Take them seriously. Some of your guys/gals (like myself) actually want to know where they stand and what they can do to improve.

3. Performance points should be equal and fair. My Lt. openly states that he evaluates and treats everyone differently, some more harsh and some more loosely because "everyone is different". This is a quick way to turn a great career as an officer into a crappy one.

4. 4 years ago, during our last eval, several firefighters reported they got bad points on their eval for complete garbage because as the officers had put it "you can't have a perfect eval". For example, not that I'm a model employee by any stretch, but during that eval, I was dinged for driving too fast and hitting the curb "most of the time" when turning out of the station. Now the driving too fast is subjective. I don't feel I am, but if you do fine.. However, I think I've hit the curb twice in my 7 years here, I tried to say that during the eval review, but they didn't care. (on a hillarious side note, they recently put the lt's back on the medic here to "evaluate day to day operational problems with EMS, not necessarily on our end. Well just last shift, he was driving, the same guy who dinged me on the curbs, pulled out of the station and ran right over the curb. He turned to me and said "wow thats really easy to hit", to which I replied "don't you even say a word to me about that")

Evals should have goals too. Don't just say "you hit the curb all the time" or "you are a lazy piece of crap" and leave it at that. Give your employees steps, or monthly goals that you would like to attain to show improvement.

Evals here are a joke, be proactive, make yours good. My suggestions aren't the end-all be-all, but a good example of what NOT to do.

Forum Member

Default thanks

thanks ffspook

I am going to fair and equal in my evaluations. Ours arent perfect either but I am tasked with changing that. Anyone with any ideas or if you have a evaluation form that I can see online let me know.

Forum Member

Default finished project

I finished the evulation project. Anyone that might want to view them and give me some feedback contact me and I will forward them to you. Thanks

Forum Member

We use yearly evaluations. They used to be tied to our pay but, fortunately we were able to change that. Evaluations are important because they help create a paper trail. The only problem is finding a supervisor who will write it based on the facts, not how much they like/dislike you on a personal level. Any evaluations need to have some type of set standards that give points to prevent this.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

One of the places I use to work (and know I didn't keep a copy) had peer reviews. It was basic quick evaluation/review the supervisor gave one to a peer and the preson being evaled gave out one to peer. Both were returned to the supervisor and gave him some feed back from those who work directly with the person and may see things the supervisor doesn't.

MembersZone Subscriber

Stan, can you forward your data to me.

Forum Member

Default info

Sending the information today from work. Thanks

Thread Information