MembersZone Subscriber

edited.....
    Last edited by hookandcanman83; 11-06-2008 at 02:07 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

There is plenty of info on just this subject here, but here's a brief summary of our experience:

We tried to do the same thing 4 years ago. The first problem is that Scope only built 20-25 95 footers a year so there are fewer available. Secondly they last forever and many depts. keep them and have them refurbed themselves. We found the cost of buying one, plus the refurb cost put us in the "new" price range. We bought a ALF 93' MM for around the cost of what we could buy and rebuild a 95' Scope. While it isn't a Scope it is new and for the same money there reallly wasn't a choice. We did cost projections thinking of buying used and proved o ourselves and the City that new was actually cheaper over 30 years, given increasing maintenance costs, and earlier replacement of the "used" aerial". Also if you're looking at a Scope then when comparing apples to apples you need to compare the new MM as a straight truck with no pump and tank, which is generally cheaper and ends up giving you much more compartment space.

But if you can't live without a Scope, Advantage Apparatus offers rebuil Scopes and recently advertised they had or could get 95 footers. When we were looking they couldn't get a 95' for a reasonable price to make it worth while. My recollection is they take old FDNY (maybe others?) Scopes and stick them on new chassises, have the aerial rebuilt by Thibault(?) in Canada and then the body is built by MetalFab in New Brunswick, Canada. We have a bunch of metalfab trucks in our area and I'd be quite skeptical of their work, as well as Thibault whom there are many horror stories about their past fianacial history.

Finally, Peirce has rebuilt a few Scopes and they seem to have been done very nicely, though again if you have to buy one outright and then have it rebuilt the cost will be very close to that of a new MM. Also I think Interstate Mack (MD or PA?) will do a rebuild and came highly recommended, but in our case the their waiting list was nearly 18 months to get in the shop.
    We were lookng at buying a 95 footer from Cherry Hill, NJ. They may even still have it. Great guys there, call and ask for Tom Parks.

Good Luck!

hookandcan, please contact me and I can help you.

Forum Member

Advantage has a pair of 95 footers available for refurb.

I believe they come from an FDNY boneyard....
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hookandcanman83 View Post
    we are currently looking for a mm tower to replace a mack aerialscope. we talked with all major dealers(pierce, kme, lafrance, seagrave) and new MIGHT be out of our price range. also need to upgrade from 75' to 95'. just exploring ideas but does anyone know where we can get a 95' to refurb? we have done research on refurbs as well but we need to find an aerialscope to (probably) put on an pierce arrow. also anyone know who to talk to or contact to see if there are any sitting in an fdny grave yard?????

ps i know there is a thread about refurbs just looking for a truck to refurb.
    Try the following : NYC.Gov/DCAS Phone number- (212) NEW YORK contact the office of surplus activites DCAS Auto Auction. also the Advantage Apparatus LLC has a company named ( Allain Equipment MFG ) out of NB, Canada rebuild all there Aerialscopes, a 95'Scope built on a new Spartan chassis can be had for about $ 500,000 !.....Good Luck with your search.... NJFFII

Forum Member

Thumbs up 2001 Aerialscope 95'

The Adirondack Fire Equipment Co. Phone ( 1-800-635-4552 ) has a 2001 95foot Aerialscope apparatus listed for sale at $ 420,000 . There web site is www.Adirondackfire.com
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 10-24-2007 at 08:02 PM.

Thread Information