Thread: Buckle-Up

Forum Member

Default Fire Apparatus Crash Video

Here is a video of crashes involving fire apparatus. Be safe. Buckle up.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNJ0YpOpyX4
    Last edited by alpha4; 08-17-2007 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Link added

Badgerland FOOL

Thanks for the post Alpha....a great reminder that we are not immune to crashing and we are not invincible so we need to protect our selves in en-route as well as on scene.

Forum Member

useful video to remind to everyone to buckle up.specially when you are en route to a call.but here it is a little bit different,if the firefighters do not buckle up,the fire engine or firetrucks,stay at the station.the officers in charge of the truck or engine has to check that everyone has its seat belt.he can have a ticket from the fire service if the firefighters have no seat belts.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Badgerland FOOL

That sounds like a sound policy....checking everyone for seat belts. Some try to argue that seat belts will slow them down, but if you know you need to wear one, it will become automatic and a non-issue like throwing on all your bunker gear and when arriving on scene a seat belt can be unclicked fairly quickly with a gloved hand, so it shouldn't slow anyone down one bit. All in the name of our number one goal: "everyone goes home".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mvfd27 View Post
    That sounds like a sound policy....checking everyone for seat belts. Some try to argue that seat belts will slow them down, but if you know you need to wear one, it will become automatic and a non-issue like throwing on all your bunker gear and when arriving on scene a seat belt can be unclicked fairly quickly with a gloved hand, so it shouldn't slow anyone down one bit. All in the name of our number one goal: "everyone goes home".
    as you said that sounds a nice policy but in fact guys and gals have no choices,this is the french law and for the insurance of the fire department and then for the firefighters when they are on duty,they have to wear a seat belt when they are en route to a call.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

Badgerland FOOL

That's an even better law....and I agree that it can work here as well. We just need to have some people change their attitudes and realize that using seat belts will not slow us down. Again, job one is to look out for each other and make sure we all go home at the end of call and or shift, this another way of doing so.

Forum Member

Question

sorry for my lack of knowledges but in the US fire service you do not have to wear seat bealts when you are en route to a call?you have no policy for that?or law ?
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

Badgerland FOOL

Most states have laws and most depts have policies, but from what I understand and experiences on my dept. its not strictly enforced. Which it should be and I guess I might have mis-typed in the early posts....it is not so much that laws and policies don't exist, its more of a lack of enforcement.

For others reading this, let me know if your depts have stricter enforcement onf the seat belt laws/policies. Our dept is trying but we have a handful of people who think the belts slow us down. Its great that in France they have a such a well followed set of laws and policies. Hopefull we can move to more of the same here.

I should say....all states have seat belt laws.
    Last edited by mvfd27; 08-15-2007 at 01:51 PM.

Forum Member

thanks for your reply mvfd27.for us here, seat belts are not problems anymore but we have other problems.i think each country has its way of dealing with its laws and policies.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

Badgerland FOOL

Quote Originally Posted by frenchfireball View Post
    thanks for your reply mvfd27.for us here, seat belts are not problems anymore but we have other problems.i think each country has its way of dealing with its laws and policies.
    Couldn't agree more, we all have our problems, but for the most part we all do a good job. Its not the fact that you have problems, its how you handle them that matters.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Wow.. I have'nt heard the song DOA by Bloodrock in ages. In the context of the video, it gave me goosebumps.

This should be must see viewing for every firefighter.. career, call of volunteer!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Wow.. I have'nt heard the song DOA by Bloodrock in ages. In the context of the video, it gave me goosebumps.

This should be must see viewing for every firefighter.. career, call of volunteer!
    wow is that who it's by. I was wondering who sang that song

Forum Member

Default I made it hoping it would affect just ONE person...

It seems that I have achieved my goal plus many more. For a FireFighter fact, of the last 400 FF deaths involving apparatus accidents, 300 of those deaths were UNbelted individuals. Sorry, I don't have statistics for EMS or LEO fatalities.
    ANYWAY, if yu want the video for your organization, write me at
    keithmann at rcn dot com. It is presently being used in EVOC and other classes around the country. I WANT to share the message.
    Keith
    AFD

Quote Originally Posted by keithmann View Post
    It seems that I have achieved my goal plus many more. For a FireFighter fact, of the last 400 FF deaths involving apparatus accidents, 300 of those deaths were UNbelted individuals. Sorry, I don't have statistics for EMS or LEO fatalities.
    ANYWAY, if yu want the video for your organization, write me at
    keithmann at rcn dot com. It is presently being used in EVOC and other classes around the country. I WANT to share the message.
    Keith
    AFD
    Thanks, Great video.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post

I totally agree!

BTW, I haven't heard that song since I think the late 60's.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Default Bloodrock in Concert

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    I totally agree!

BTW, I haven't heard that song since I think the late 60's.
    Brother
    Back in my youth, I actually saw them in concert in Allentown and I still have 2 of their albums. Don't know if they released more than that.
    Stay Safe
    Keith
    (EGH)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by keithmann View Post
    Brother
    Back in my youth, I actually saw them in concert in Allentown and I still have 2 of their albums. Don't know if they released more than that.
    Stay Safe
    Keith
    (EGH)
    I saw them at the Boston Garden when they opened for Grand Funk Railroad in the mid 70's...

Damn.. if I saved half of the money I spent on albums and going to concerts.. I'd be rich!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...jured-acciden/

http://wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=7380235

It's not just on duty you should worry about vehicular safety.These guys were just out for a putt last night.

Forum Member

Great video. I admit I NEVER used to wear my seat belt in fire apparatus. Thats until 2 years ago when I took the Fire Service Vehicle Operators course. I wear it all the time, every time. I also STRICTLY enforce it at my station. I recently presented the National Seat Belt Pledge to my station members and they all signed it and supported it with no hesitation. I then presented it to the Chief and station officers at an officers meeting and it looks like we are going for 100% district compliance! It is a dist policy to wear them but it has not been getting enforced by everybody...but looks like it will.

Once they figured out myself and the Capt were serious about it and were going to enforce it we have had no problems. We even have guys who never wear their seat belt in their own vehicle buckle up without hesitation when the get in the truck.
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept/community.

Forum Member

Like wpcfd,I was casual about using my seatbelt until I moved to Kentucky.They are serious about that law,even when they couldn't stop you for it as a primary reason."Sir,your tail light was out,I just wanted to tell you.Sir,JUST where IS your safety belt?"
    My old department had a rule that the rig wouldn't move until all on board were belted in and the officer verified it.Besides,he could hear the clicks over the intercom so he'd count them against the number of riders.
    One guy kept refusing to belt in and got obnoxious about it until a baby's car seat was placed in his usual seat.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    One guy kept refusing to belt in and got obnoxious about it until a baby's car seat was placed in his usual seat.
    That's great! Hilarious!

The rule I made was vehicle doesn't move unless buckled and if we got to the scene and I found out you weren't buckled you would sit the entire call in the vehicle, buckled, and quite possibly would be wrote up. Never got to the latter part.
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept/community.

Thread Information