MembersZone Subscriber

Default Jose Offerman-Mutt of the Year

Forum Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    George,
    Wish i could see it... could you please post the text? (firewalled)

MembersZone Subscriber

So far, Yahoo and Breitbart have been firewalled? You should ask Mommy to take off the Parental Controls.

Forum Member

Here it is RH.

I've got a question. WGAS? I'm sure most of you will be able to figure it out.

Offerman Charged for Bat Assault

Aug 15 12:33 PM US/Eastern

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) - Former major league All-Star Jose Offerman was charged with two counts of second-degree assault after hitting an opposing team's pitcher and catcher with his bat during an independent minor league game.
    Offerman posted $10,000 bond and was due in Bridgeport Superior Court on Aug. 23, court officials said Wednesday.

Offerman, playing for the Long Island Ducks in the Atlantic League, homered in the first inning Tuesday night. The next inning, he was hit by a pitch from Bridgeport Bluefish starter Matt Beech and charged the mound with his bat.

Catcher John Nathans was hit in the head and sustained a concussion. He tried to keep playing, but left the game with nausea and collapsed in the dugout, team spokesman Nick Razzette said.

Beech, a left-hander, sustained a broken middle finger on his right hand. Both players were treated at a hospital and released.

Bluefish chief executive officer Mary-Jane Foster said she asked the Atlantic League to suspend Offerman from the league for life.

Ducks owner Frank Boulton, who also is the league's chief executive, said his team would abide by whatever punishment the league's executive director, Joe Klein, deems appropriate.

Klein is responsible for dealing with any discipline involving actions within a game, and was reviewing the incident, Boulton said.

"I can say that Jose's conduct in bringing the bat to the mound after being hit was wrong, there is no question about that," he said. "We're all saddened by this because Jose has had a 15-year major league career and is a true gentleman."

Offerman batted .273 during his 15 seasons in the majors. He last played in the majors in 2005 with Philadelphia and the New York Mets. He was an All-Star in 1995 with the Dodgers and in 1999 with Boston.

Boulton said it was important to consider that the incident started with Offerman being hit by a pitch.

"The pitcher was ejected because the umpire felt he threw at the batter," he said. "We all know that stuff happens."

Offerman, Beech and Bridgeport manager and former major league pitcher Tommy John were ejected.

"Luckily for Matt Beech, he was agile enough to dodge a bat," Bluefish pitcher Mike Porzio told the Connecticut Post. "But it may have only been John Nathans taking one on the backswing in the head to have saved Matt Beech from really taking one in the face."

The game was delayed about 20 minutes because of the brawl. Long Island went on to win 13-12.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

So far, Yahoo and Breitbart have been firewalled? You should ask Mommy to take off the Parental Controls.
    Easy, George. Speaking for myself, my employer has positively draconian firewall blocking. I'd love to ask "Mommy" to let me get to movie review sites and quite a few other places that are not considered immoral or illegal but that our corporate censors choose to block, but other than the information blackout, I like my job and hope to keep it.

So far, FH and IACOJ seem to keep working, though. So far.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    Easy, George. Speaking for myself, my employer has positively draconian firewall blocking. I'd love to ask "Mommy" to let me get to movie review sites and quite a few other places that are not considered immoral or illegal but that our corporate censors choose to block, but other than the information blackout, I like my job and hope to keep it.

So far, FH and IACOJ seem to keep working, though. So far.
    I actually meant to be a smart *** and then post the story. I forgot. I apologize.

MembersZone Subscriber

In a normal year, Offerman would be a title contender but Ron Mexico's already clinched the 2007 title.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know. There are arguments to be made either way. Let's see who goes to prison the longest.

On a side note, can't you see the bidding war right now between the Bloods and Crips trying to see who will get the contract to protect "Ron"?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know. There are arguments to be made either way. Let's see who goes to prison the longest.
    My man Ron is working to sew up that category as we speak. It looks like he's going to succeed in turning a one year plea deal into a superceding indictment worth a whole lot more.

Oh, and just for clarification, we are talking about real time served aren't we? Ron doesn't play with fake state time where there's always parole, he likes to "keep it real" by playing in the Fed's ballpark.

On a side note, can't you see the bidding war right now between the Bloods and Crips trying to see who will get the contract to protect "Ron"?
    I guess the bidding would depend on what type facility he gets. Are you very familiar with the Federal guidelines and what his offenses rate? I know we ain't talking country club level 1. The closer we get to pure PMITA level 6, the bigger the bidding war.

MembersZone Subscriber

I couldn't resist...

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840 View Post
    My man Ron is working to sew up that category as we speak. It looks like he's going to succeed in turning a one year plea deal into a superceding indictment worth a whole lot more.

You mean: "After further review...."?

Oh, and just for clarification, we are talking about real time served aren't we? Ron doesn't play with fake state time where there's always parole, he likes to "keep it real" by playing in the Fed's ballpark.

Federal time is a whole lot different than State time.

I guess the bidding would depend on what type facility he gets. Are you very familiar with the Federal guidelines and what his offenses rate? I know we ain't talking country club level 1. The closer we get to pure PMITA level 6, the bigger the bidding war.

I don't know that much about the Federal guidelines. We are not talking Marion, but I am sure we are not talking Danbury, either.

Thread Information