Default Would you hire me?

I recently was honorabely discharged from the army after 4 years of service and 3 tours to Iraq. I have completed my state fire standards and just yesterday got my NREMT certification. My first 2 times back from Iraq I got a DUI. Also when I was 18 I got 1, making a total of 3. I have since quit drinking. The last 2 were over 3 1/2 years ago. I am currently in the Florida National Guard and have an active secret security clearance. So my question is, do I have any hope of becoming a firefighter, particularly in Brevard county Florida?

Forum Member

i'm not in floridia, but i don't think you'd get hired here. The competition is tough. There are a lot of guys with great qualifications, and no or very little criminal history

Forum Member

Do you have any felony convictions? If not there should not be a problem, however with three DUI's I can't see how at least 1 is not a felony.

MembersZone Subscriber

in Florida? as competitive as it is? sorry man ,highly unlikely, but ya never know....I wish i could give you better news, but its hard enough getting hired around here with a CLEAN driving record bro.

Forum Member

If your last was over 3.5 years ago, you should be good in another year and a half. In Ohio 5 years seems to be the benchmark for DUIS

Forum Member

Keep your chin up and go for it. Don't take no as an answer, just see no as not right now...when you find the right department, it'll all fall into place.

Forum Member

jasonsafranek26,

You have asked a valid question...so I will give you a valid answer. The answer to your question would have to be NO. Although your Service to our country is very honorable and appreciated you have shown that you are not able to be responsible with your alcohol use. You got not one DUI....but 3! You show a lack of responsibility while operating a motor vehicle while being intoxicated around the public in general when you chose to drink and drive putting inocent lives in danger because of your lack of self control and carelessness! The only thing I can say that you have going for you in these case's are that you haven't injured/killed yourself, but more importantly injured/killed an inocent family of 4 on there way home from a day out together.

Thanks for your service to our country. I'm glad you made it home safe....but at this time you are not yet ready for a career as great as "our's" where the public put's their trust in us 24 hours a day, 365 day's a year. Most department's want at least 7 years from the last DUI incident to have passed. And, like someone else stated above me, why would they pick someone with your record when they have, for example say, 30 or more people with the same qualification's as you but do not have any DUI's or any type of traffic violations. In the fire service you will be driving all type's of vehicles on a daily basis. i.e. fire engines, fire trucks, ambulances, rescue vehicles, city/county cars...the list goes on and on......

******I am not trying to hammer you or discurage you, just trying to be frank and honest with you*****

Best wishes and good luck,
    AZFF
    Last edited by AZFF25; 08-23-2007 at 09:43 PM.

Forum Member

removed - never mind
    Last edited by cfdmedic224; 08-24-2007 at 10:11 PM.

Forum Member

I would have to say no. To get a DUI not once, but three times shows that you lack self control and have poor judgement.

Personally, I don't think you would ever get hired no matter how long ago your last DUI was. Even if your last one was ten years ago there will be thousands with no DUIs and a clean driving record.

Do you know how much liablity a city would take on if you were to get hired and crash an apparatus while under the influence?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasonsafranek26 View Post
    I recently was honorabely discharged from the army after 4 years of service and 3 tours to Iraq. I have completed my state fire standards and just yesterday got my NREMT certification. My first 2 times back from Iraq I got a DUI. Also when I was 18 I got 1, making a total of 3. I have since quit drinking. The last 2 were over 3 1/2 years ago. I am currently in the Florida National Guard and have an active secret security clearance. So my question is, do I have any hope of becoming a firefighter, particularly in Brevard county Florida?
    Try new orleans. theyre hiring.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ecfr1978 View Post
    Do you have any felony convictions? If not there should not be a problem, however with three DUI's I can't see how at least 1 is not a felony.
    Since he said he is an EMT he can't be a felon.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

To quote the Aflac goat: Nah. Nah. Nah.

The decision may have negative financial implications for a city too.
    A local governments automobile insurance rates are based upon a sampling of its employees driving records.

You would probably need some serious political clout to pull this off.

Factoring you could tolerate Iraq for 3 tours, have you considered working for a private contrator doing firefighter/medic work there until the DUI's become history.
    Last edited by Command6; 08-29-2007 at 09:23 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Incoming

Jason, If it was up to me I'd hire you in a minute. ( 3 tours in Iraq would drive anyone to drink. ) Besides, you have righted the ship and shown you have grown, and learned from your indiscrections. I believe there are plenty of big depts. who would gladly recruit one of the bravest persons on this planet. Good luck soldier and for gods sake,dont drive drunk anymore. Keep us posted o.k.

Forum Member

It would probably take a LOT of interviewing, telling your story to a great many oral boards, but YOUR story of experience, victories & defeats, overcoming alcohol and suviving the kinds of hell most of us won't ever know, will convince departments to hire you. You'll find the right place. Make your past work for you, and show without the shadow of a doubt that ALL negatives have turned positive. It won't be easy, but it's not even easy for people without a driving record. Best of luck, and thank you for your service
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Thread Information