Thread: Entry

Forum Member

Default Entry

We had a house fire today. The first report said people were trapped, but before entry was made the home owner said everyone was out. The house was built up; I do not know what it is called but there was no foundation just blocks. My question is all the doors were blocked by heavy fire showing and the windows were chest high. How would you make entry if the windows were a little higher? A ladder would be to large. I was thinking boost one ff up but how does his partner get in?

Forum Member

Use a haligan. Put the fork end on the ground, the adze end against the wall. That gives you a good 30" (or more) step.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Vent saw, chain saw or maybe a sawzall. Open from the sill down. I made entry on a trailer fire using a sawzall with similar height windows.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

How about just taking a 10, 12, or 14' roof ladder and using it as a ramp? Shove it into the window, clear the glass, and you've got easy access.

The halligan idea works too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

100' Aerial Truck.

An Attic Ladder would work.

Forum Member

You all took all of my ideas. For a couple of more such as using a pike pole or NY roof hook as a step you can go to www.vententersearch.com and look up tricks or tricks of the trade for pictures.

Forum Member

I agree with making doors out of the windows. Alternatively, if it's feasible or safe, just plain make a new door on an unburned side of the house.

Then again, and I wasn't there, if all occupants are out, and the fire is that bad, do you need to put people inside?

MembersZone Subscriber

You can still use a straight (aka roof) or extension ladder, even though it would be a very gradual angle. Remember they are load tested at full extension compeletely flat with 500 Lbs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    My question is all the doors were blocked by heavy fire showing and the windows were chest high. How would you make entry if the windows were a little higher? A ladder would be to large. I was thinking boost one ff up but how does his partner get in?
    I'd be more concerned with how you're going to get out. If the conditions are as you say, I'd want to make sure I have a clear and easy way out in case conditions get worse. The problem with going into the window is that you don't know what's just inside them. In addition, if conditions worsen you may not be able to get up high enough to get at them.

Make sure whatever method you use to get in will also allow you to get out.
    The haligan or roof hook trick would work. Not so much the ladder.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe I'm missing something here. Why wouldn't you just go in the front door and put the fire out as you go? If we have easy access to the heavy fire, directly through the front door, why are we trying to find a different way?

Or are you wondering more for a VES-type scenario?

MembersZone Subscriber

Get a little giant ladder. It won't have a fancy NFPA sticker, but you will find it VERY handy on the fireground.

Forum Member

I was wondering more for a VES-type scenario. The back half of the house had smoke showing with little flame. The bedrooms were located here, and this was the only area a victim might be able to survive. I didnt even think of using a halligan as a step up until it was posted. Thanks for the help.

Forum Member

Go in the back?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    I was wondering more for a VES-type scenario. The back half of the house had smoke showing with little flame. The bedrooms were located here, and this was the only area a victim might be able to survive.
    I'm going to nitpick, but for a good purpose.

Even in the areas showing fire from the windows, survivors cannot be ruled out. Closets, bathrooms, pantries even. They might not be searchable right away, but they might contain living victims.

The line of thought that fire from windows indicates the room has no survivors can lead to bad things. I'm not saying that's the case with you, I'm just saying. Obviously the uninvolved areas are the best place to search first because they're easier to get to and a better bet, but we really can't rule out what we haven't actually searched.

Forum Member

I think going to the rear in your scenario is a good plan, especially since that is where the most survivable conditions were. we would probably use an attic ladder or the window cut with a chainsaw thatWaterbryVT described, its a pretty good tactic for turning a window into a door. important that if the engine is coming in the front theyre going to be pushing it out the back where you are!! make sure to coordinate!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Entry

With heavy fire showing on the front "A" side, it is usually a preferred method on making entry on the unburned side "C" in this case. If extinguishment begins on the "A" side or front, you will push the fire throughout the residence. This can cause more damage to the structure and place any victims at a greater risk.
    Making entry through a first floor window for fire supression would not be one of my initial tactical priorities. I agree with what was mentioned as to using existing doorways to enter and extinguish as you go.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default nice info

Quote Originally Posted by GFDLT1 View Post
    You all took all of my ideas. For a couple of more such as using a pike pole or NY roof hook as a step you can go to www.vententersearch.com and look up tricks or tricks of the trade for pictures.
    Whenever someone puts a link to a site on a forum (this or any forum), I check subsequent post to see if the link was worth following….I just want to say to anyone out there with a similar mentality…that vententerserch.com link has got some nice info.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nucrunner View Post
    Whenever someone puts a link to a site on a forum (this or any forum), I check subsequent post to see if the link was worth following….I just want to say to anyone out there with a similar mentality…that vententerserch.com link has got some nice info.
    Well I am glad that I could lead you to a good site.

Forum Member

Go through the front door. Using a 1 3/4" inch with a straight-bore, you'll put out any fire you run across without "pushing" the fire or upsetting the thermal layering. John Norman (FDNY) wrote an excellent article in Firehouse many years ago about that type of situation and since implementing his suggestions, I've used that approach many times with great results.

Thread Information