MembersZone Subscriber

Default "Over width" body

Anyone out there tried or know of apparatus body over 102" wide? In Iowa as in many states we are not limited by size/weight restrictions pertaining to commerical trucks. Perhaps go to 114'

Generally shortening truck (make tank shorter/wider/lower vs long/narrow/high) improves maneuverability that is a plus. Could also help lower hosebeds. Water is 7.5gal/ft3 whatever the arrangement, all how you "mold" it.

Anyone tried this out? Some mfg may have "issues" with fabrication jigs, if you're worried about resale might be an issue, if you drive down narrow tree lined lanes or on city streets might be a problem. We're talking big tanker pumper used in rural America. Our primary "customers" are farms and they are running 12'+ wide tractors with 150000lb combinations on our paved/gravel roads so no concerns there.
    Last edited by neiowa; 08-17-2007 at 04:30 PM.

Forum Member

Default Fed standards

Your body widths are going to be limited by Federal standards. Anything over 102 is considered a wide load and is going to need permits to be driven on any highway. Your farm vehicles are exempt when running around your local back roads. When those tractors you are talking about are delivered from the manufacture they are taken down for transport. If they are wider than 102 inches in width the transporting truck will have wide load placards and permits. If you could convince a manufacturer to build you a wider truck it will cost you big money for the special design and work to run it through the production process.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does not apply in state. Regulated by individual states. In many states, including Iowa, FD equipment is unrestricted in dimension/weight (exempt from commerical limits).

As I said, for mfg who are substantially constrained by the use of std jigs/fixtures who not work into they system. I'm and Industrial Eng in real life.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Does not apply in state. Regulated by individual states. In many states, including Iowa, FD equipment is unrestricted in dimension/weight (exempt from commerical limits).

As I said, for mfg who are substantially constrained by the use of std jigs/fixtures who not work into they system. I'm and Industrial Eng in real life.
    My theory (and I'm not an engineer) would be that the cost of the additional engineering (to make sure the parts of the body hanging off the frame can hold the weight that would be loaded into a compartment, etc.) would be cost prohibitive.

I'll look into it thought on my end to see what I can dig up.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post

Missouri's the same way. I'd be willing to be a number of midwest states are.

Have you by chance tried Blanchat Mfg.? They make that triple rear axle Gunfighter, maybe they can do what you're after? (disclaimer: I do not represent these guys in any fashion, never even bought anything from them, they just came to mind)

An industrial engineer, that explains a little. Mind you, this is coming from a guy with some ME background.
    Last edited by Catch22; 08-18-2007 at 10:36 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomwnh View Post
    Your body widths are going to be limited by Federal standards. Anything over 102 is considered a wide load and is going to need permits to be driven on any highway. Your farm vehicles are exempt when running around your local back roads. When those tractors you are talking about are delivered from the manufacture they are taken down for transport. If they are wider than 102 inches in width the transporting truck will have wide load placards and permits. If you could convince a manufacturer to build you a wider truck it will cost you big money for the special design and work to run it through the production process.
    I think what Tom was getting at was that if you had the truck built in say Florida, the truck would have to follow different rules (Federal) until it got to your state with the rules it was built around. I could be wrong...but think that is what he was getting at.

Now if you had a local builder build it then this "issue" would be a non-issue.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefDog View Post
    I think what Tom was getting at was that if you had the truck built in say Florida, the truck would have to follow different rules (Federal) until it got to your state with the rules it was built around. I could be wrong...but think that is what he was getting at.

Now if you had a local builder build it then this "issue" would be a non-issue.
    Having gained some experience with such matters over this summer I can say that a fire truck, unless and until it's owned by and licensed to a fire department or municipality, is, for the most part, just another truck on the road. Example: I had to get an overweight permit in order to buzz your station.

Granted, there are a few exceptions in some states, and granted, some enforcement people will choose not to make an issue out of a fire truck. Otherwise, all of the rules apply. If it's overweight or overdimension, you need the appropriate permits to move it.

Some western states are holding fire department vehicles to the same axle weight standards as other highway vehicles. Witness, the KME "quillers" going to southern California. They're using tandem drive axles because from what I've been given to understand, as single axles, they'd be overweight on the drive axle.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

MembersZone Subscriber

Varies by state. Have moved 4 M911 HET (9'6") 2x w/trailers (11'6").

Load on a trailer is no problem in any state, pay the tax (buy permit) and away you go. Driving same vehicle depends on the state. Co/Ne placard "Overwidth" and away you go (no permit req for a gov't body if drive or on gov't vehicle). Mo drone at their DOT's position was had to load on semitrailer/haul, could not drive over width in the state. She could not understand/explain the difference between a 11'6" selfpropelled vehicle and haul same on TWO very expensive commerical trucks. Issue was solvable but easier just to route thru Ne.

You can cry "I'm a Fire Dept" it's my truck I'm trying to move to the right office and get just about anything you want, when you reach the right person. Anyone with an ounce of greymatter understands conserving cash at a vol FD. There are a couple people with greymatter at most gov't offices. You may have to hunt for them.
    Last edited by neiowa; 08-19-2007 at 10:24 PM.

Thread Information