MembersZone Subscriber

Default Learning the city

I am new to city I have been hired at and I am looking for suggestions and advice about what is the best way to learn the city streets. Anyone?

MembersZone Subscriber

Find your district and drive it... drive it... DRIVE IT.

Easy way to remember the streets is to take the first letter of the streets... example S-B-C.... A-S-T... crap like that to help you remember. Some times, some streets are arranged together with alike names... such as bird streets, tree streets.... crap like that. That way, when you hear the name, such as Canary or Lark or Hawk... you would know where its located.

You can stare at a box book all day long and you will get some success out of it... but you really need to drive the streets. Take time with your crew and see if they will drive the streets with you.

Forum Member

Pay attention to the streets you pass on runs. When you go out for inspections or out to eat ask the driver to take diffrent routes so you can learn the area.

MembersZone Subscriber

Some good advise posted. I would also suggest you first learn the main roads through your area as well as major landmarks, i.e. schools, apartment buildings, parks, etc.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Being a fairly new driver for my department, I've found landmarks are especially helpful. Even if the landmark is the site of a previous big call, or other memorable incident.

Other than that, like was said, drive drive drive. I still try to find new ways everywhere, and on days I don't have to work, or am just bored, I go out for a ride, and just see where different streets I don't normally use, take me.

Forum Member

I have found the best way to learn the city and its' streets is by simply driving them on your days off.

Forum Member

When not doing all the myriad tasks a probie gets,look at the map when you can.
    I once had a job driving a wheelchair bus in Paducah Ky.When I got the job,I knew how to get to and from work,to the library and Wally World and the road back to Tennessee.
    With a cab dispatcher fussing at me,it started me looking at the map when I wasn't doing anything else to the point that it became a habit,even when I'd been to the address before.
    I might run into some road blockage and need to know the sidestreets and which was easiest to horse a Ford E350 minibus on.
    People would look at me like I was an idiot for checking the map when I was the senior driver but the Navy taught me to have the directions close at hand and that works in lots of situations.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by doughesson; 08-24-2007 at 11:30 AM.

Forum Member

Driving the streets definately helps the best. Or ride a bike on them etc, getting out is the main thing. As for remembering and watching the streets on calls, etc, that works too. Although it is different if you are riding backwards or facing forward.

If you can a part time job that gets you out there also helps. From pizza delivery to towing, it is another way to learn the streets because youu have some time to see where you are going.

Forum Member

I was also given a blank map of the city and was told to start filling in the street names. That helped me learn real quick which areas I didn't know as good as I thought I did. Acronyms help a lot too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    I was also given a blank map of the city and was told to start filling in the street names. That helped me learn real quick which areas I didn't know as good as I thought I did. Acronyms help a lot too.
    That is really a great idea right there. It is one thing to look at a map, or drive the area, but when it forces you to fill in the names, you may tend to remember better. Outstanding idea!

Forum Member

The blank maps are good ideas, but getting a part time job delivering pizza or working for a messanger service will really help you learn things fast.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information