MembersZone Subscriber

Default What military branch is best for FF's

I am interrested in finding out which branch of the military provides the most training and certifications for FF's. Also which gives you the best experience for making the jump to civilian FF.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbub04 View Post
    I am interrested in finding out which branch of the military provides the most training and certifications for FF's. Also which gives you the best experience for making the jump to civilian FF.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks
    yup i got your answer, either army or air force cause either way you go you will go to goodfellow air force base in texas for your fire fighter training and its air force run, soo either way you go your golden i think its a 16 week training and the MOS is 21m. hope i helped you out. i myself would choos air force their basic training is a couple weeks less. i myself went army why i have no idea but didnt make it through basic training ended up getting hurt and landed myself in the hospital, i was supposed to have the mos as a fire fighter too but they ended up shipping me home on medical discharge wich wasnt fun, hope ive been some help

Forum Member

The most common response is Air Force and they do have a tough FF program. However, if you don't make the cut for the program it isn't the end of the world. Veterans are very desirable in the fire service and get points preference on FF tests.

Basically you don't have to be a FF in the service in order for you to become a career FF. You can serve a few years, go to school and use your GI Bill and VA benefits to pay for that. Veteran along with a fire protection degree becomes very desirable than one or the other alone. Also depending upon the department, sometimes the military certifications don't transfer to civilian.

Either way check out all branches, the Air Force is probablly the best, but from what I hear is tough to get into. Otherwise find a job you may enjoy doing like electronics, welding, mechanic, computers, whatever. Experience like that may transfer into a nice profitable hobby or second job. As I said, veteran is the key, there are many, many firefighters who are veterans who never did the job while serving.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks

Thanks for your help guys. I've been talking to the AF Recruiter, and as you said it seems like its going to be tough to get a job as a FF in the AF even if I qualify. One thing I did like to hear is that you can earn your FS dagree on base even if your not in Fire Protection. Though I guess the thought of joining the air force and getting stuck to a job you weren't interrested in is the only thing that discourages me at this point. Is it just as hard to get into Fire Protection in the army as it is in the air force?

Forum Member

Be sure to see if your home state honors the certs or else you will have to retake them when you get home.

Forum Member

Default Navy

The Navy is always looking for DC men, At sea fire fighter, not only is it great experience, but the training is straight out of NFPA Fire Fighter 1 & 2, you can get credit for the class and test out later, lot of friends did that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pletch View Post
    The Navy is always looking for DC men, At sea fire fighter, not only is it great experience, but the training is straight out of NFPA Fire Fighter 1 & 2, you can get credit for the class and test out later, lot of friends did that

Sorry, but this statement is not true. I was a former DC and am now a career FF. The experience in the Navy itself is great and you can learn a lot. However, the training is nowhere near out of NFPA FF1 and 2. The world between shipboard FF and structural FF is night and day, there are very few similarities between them.

Much of the qualifications one recieves from the Navy does not reflect in the civilian world. The majority of fire departments and HR's have no clue what an On Scene Leader, Team Leader, Access/ Overhaulman, or Plugman do, this is just Navy terms.

As for getting credit, one can have their page 4 read by Navy Campus and college credit RECOMMENDATIONS will be suggested for the qualifications one got in the service. However, it is up to a fire department or even a college to accept those recommendations, they are no where near accreditted.

AS for the OP. There are many jobs in the military other than just firefighting. It is great if you can get what you want, but sometimes if you have an intrest or hobby in something like welding, mechanics, electronics, computers, etc, there are many jobs out there. One can do a four year term and then go to school once out. You can get your fire protection degree and also have other job knowledge as well, besides all the other veteran benefits that come with the service. Just something to think about.
    Last edited by jccrabby3084; 09-11-2007 at 12:34 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

All services are good, Both the Air Force and Marines have crash crews for their air wings. But look before you leap into it
    Slop sink, Flags and pump 150
    Getting there is half the fun

Forum Member

Folks that join the military with the goal fo just getting job training tend to be the guys that leave early with less-than honorable discharges. If you are not joining to serve your country first, I suggest you find a different way into the fire service, because you never know what job the military will order you to do, or where they will order you to do it.
    Semper Fi,
    Dennis
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Military

I was thinking about the Military route to become a firefighter. But instead I joined a volunteer department and they pay for my schooling. I am wondering what else I can do though? I have a job as a construction worker, they pay for my schooling too and I am learning fire codes, reading a print ect. I am all tapped out money wise for school.

Suggestion please!!

MembersZone Subscriber

If folks want to be a FIREFIGHTER for the MILITARY, then the ARMY is the way to go. Why the caps you ask, b/c if you are in the military and deploy (you will, and that's what you train for), the Army does the brunt of the firefighting. The Air Force and Marines sit on base and "watch the runway". The Army goes off base for the building fires, veh rescues, helo-crashes, building collapses/explosions, etc...

And yet for some reason, I switched from the Army to the Air Force???

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    If folks want to be a FIREFIGHTER for the MILITARY, then the ARMY is the way to go. Why the caps you ask, b/c if you are in the military and deploy (you will, and that's what you train for), the Army does the brunt of the firefighting. The Air Force and Marines sit on base and "watch the runway". The Army goes off base for the building fires, veh rescues, helo-crashes, building collapses/explosions, etc...

And yet for some reason, I switched from the Army to the Air Force???
    Your assignment depends on where ya go... my guard unit never just "sits and watches the runway" and my currently deployed location, we just sit in the firehouse and just wait for calls, be it ARFF related or Structural.

I think you've just had a bad experience.

-Damien

Forum Member

As the Crash Crew Chief for a Marine Reserve unit, and a civilian career firefighter, here's my advice.

First, if your emphasis is on training and certification, don't join the military. You are better off going through a civilian academy in the state you want to work, and get a paramedic license. Military certs are not accepted universally, and many depts will require you to go through their own academy anyway. Depending on where you are looking for a job, your 4 years may only count for a few preference points (some don't give any), although it will provide an outsatnding life experience and make you a better citizen.

Especially, stay away from the Marines. MOS is secondary to being a Marine. Navy has very few FF spots, and DC is not the same. Army is reorganizing its military firefighters, and things look poor for the long term existence of the specialty. Air Force is your best bet. If you have a nearby Air Guard or AF Reserve unit with firefighters, that may be your best bet. Guard and Reserve firefighters get the same training, and most units have many members who are already civilian firefighters, who can be mentors and provide hiring information. Regardless of which service, or active/Guard/Reserve, you will deploy, which will delay your off duty college education, no matter what the recruiter tells you.

I've probably written the same type of response on here a dozen times-use the search function, wouldja?

Thread Information