Like Tree4Likes

Thread: HELMET QUESTION: FDNY Morning Pride Ben-2

Forum Member

Default HELMET QUESTION: FDNY Morning Pride Ben-2

Is it true that the FDNY uses the Morning Pride Ben-2 helmet? Also can anyone tell me if they have this helmet whether or not they like it? Brothers from the FDNY? Brothers from other departments?

Be Safe,
    Mr. Smoke Eater

MembersZone Subscriber

I wear a Ben II and like it. Are you looking for input on what to get here or what?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmokeEater View Post
    Is it true that the FDNY uses the Morning Pride Ben-2 helmet? Also can anyone tell me if they have this helmet whether or not they like it? Brothers from the FDNY? Brothers from other departments?

Be Safe,
    Mr. Smoke Eater

The guys who have been hired since the mid 90s get this POS issued to them. It was for no other reason than it was what our bunker gear manufac sold. Single source contract and they are cheap to buy up front...it wasn't because it was a superior helmet.

If you are looking for a solid helmet that will serve you and your men well...steer clear of the Ben II.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

dday05, yes, I'm basically looking for input on what to buy my men. We're getting new helmets, leathers are far to expensive to buy for 30 guys, while the 1010's either you love em or you hate em. Just trying to get some answers, I guess.

Thanks for the Response FFFred. You FDNY?

MembersZone Subscriber

We just switched to the Ben II from the Paul Conway. Granted, we're not FDNY and don't run in a year what on truck runs in a month, but we're happy so far.

One thing we found on the other brands is that with the skull cap insert, guys with a wider head get pinched on the sides by the harness.

Forum Member

I have both a Ben II with the volly dept and a personaly owned 1044 with my career dept. Having worn both I will say I would not spend my own money on a Ben II. The 1044 is much more comfortable and wears much better than the Ben II. Also, the headband and ratchet in the 1044 is far superior and much more comfortable. The Ben II tends to be a taller helmet as well, which I dont really like all that much.

If you are looking to buy for a whole dept I would go Cairns, as you will save alot of money per helmet.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I'm not sure how my helmet is different (I think it may be a Ben 2 Plus rather than just a Ben 2) but my Ben 2 is pretty comfortable and I like it. It beats our old salad bowls by a mile. Our dept has the 1044's and they are much more comfortable. If I were buying something I would buy a 1044, not only because they are more comforable, but they are also cheaper.

But I really would get a leather.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

makes good girls go bad

dday05, yes, I'm basically looking for input on what to buy my men. We're getting new helmets, leathers are far to expensive to buy for 30 guys, while the 1010's either you love em or you hate em. Just trying to get some answers, I guess.

I have not, and I will repeat it, NOT found a non leather that feels comfortable with my SCBA mask. Once I got my Paul Conway American Heritage Leather, it was like everything clicked.
    I am looking at the Phenix 1500TL2 as my next lid (aways off, but hey, I can dream, cant I?)
    Expensive at first, yes leathers are, but in the long run, they are more durable, and, IMO more comfortable.

Perhaps you should look at phasing in leather lids, or offer a buy it program with your Jakes. The dept pays 3/4ths the cost, and the Jake pays the 1/4. After a set amount of years (2- 5, whatever) the lid goes to the Jake. Its his if he decides to leave, go to another dept, whatever. A good recruitment/retention tool, as well as getting the best gear for some savings.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

As I said I like my helmet but a buddie of mine from a neighboring dept has a Cairns 1010 (I think thats what it is) I put it on and it feels like it fits better on your head then mine. I guess if we start replacing helmets we might go that route. I would say get some people in and start checking out some helmets.

MembersZone Subscriber

i guess i have a misshapen head but i have a ben 2 plus and i find it 10 times more comfortable then the 1010 or 1044. it may just be me but everyone has likes and dislikes about different opinions about these things.
    med/safety likes this.

Forum Member

I have a smaller head... would the Ben II work for me, or would it look like I have a five gallon pale on my head?

Forum Member

They suck, mine is hanging in my garage, waiting to be turned in when I retire. Ever hear of the term lowest bidder?

Forum Member

Garbage, The eagle holder will kill you, and the helemt falls apart after a few years. Guys where I work who have been on since the 70s still have thier original leather and many guys who have less than 10 years and who where issued the new plastic things are on thier 2d and/or 3d helmets....you get what you pay for.

3 of us here are FDNY....and it looks like we all agree.
    Last edited by VinnieB; 08-19-2007 at 07:35 PM.
    IACOJ Member

B Shifter

Default Helmet

I bought a Ben Franklin when I was in rookie school to wear once I graduated. I heard all of the old timers complain about the weight of leather helmets and figured I'd take their advice. One thing I did NOT like about the Ben Franklin was the lack of a COMPLETE impact liner... the top of your head was at the mercy of the shell.

The first time I tried on a Sam Houston, I loved it and bought one that day. I never wore the Ben Franklin and sold it to a friend. He, for the most part, liked it but now it is irrelevant as our department mandated that city-issued helmets be worn due to worker's comp concerns. We wear Cairns 1000's and each member has the option of goggles or face shield. Most guys opt for the shield as the goggles always seem to fall of the helmets and get toasted during firefighting.
    rjtoc2

career Fire Captain
    IAFF member
    Native Texan (by way of New Orleans)

***The above post (s) is/are MY opinion and do/does not necessarily reflect the views, positions, or opinions of neither my employer nor my IAFF Local.***

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make counter accusations.

A lack of planning on your behalf does NOT create an emergency on my behalf.

When all is said and done, alot more is said than done

Forum Member

Morning Pride helmets are junk.

Forum Member

The 1st department I worked for gave you a Cairns 1010 untill you passed probation and you then received a N6A. I love myne.

Don't be cheap. Buy your guys the good stuff. You know they deserve it.

Forum Member

If you have a smaller head, a Cairns 880 Tradition should suit your needs.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

You can't go wrong with a Cairns. Before I got mine wore bullard firedomes, never again!
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

the 4-1-4

What's going on out there that everybody needs all of these new helmets?
    I've had two in my career so far- the Cairns 880 or 881 I was issued in recruit school, and the Paul Conway American Classic I was issued three or four years ago by the department.

I've never worn leather, but am very happy with the Conway.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    If you have a smaller head, a Cairns 880 Tradition should suit your needs.
    100% agree. Ben 2's suck. IMO

If I could not wear my leather I would be wearing an 880
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

So one more question on the Ben II...

I've noticed that some guys get the "bronx bend" in the back of their helmets. Does this happen with the Ben II as well?

Forum Member

So one more question on the Ben II...

I've noticed that some guys get the "bronx bend" in the back of their helmets. Does this happen with the Ben II as well?
    No that only happens with real helmets (leathers)

Forum Member

haha, I had to ask!

Forum Member

I was given a Ben II as a gift, its not a nice helmet to wear, at all. In my country we are only allowed to wear a slightly modified Cairns 660. I like it, comfortable enough, robust. Even if the Americans laugh at me and call it a feed bucket, not like I have much choice !!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    Garbage, The eagle holder will kill you, and the helemt falls apart after a few years. Guys where I work who have been on since the 70s still have thier original leather and many guys who have less than 10 years and who where issued the new plastic things are on thier 2d and/or 3d helmets....you get what you pay for.

3 of us here are FDNY....and it looks like we all agree.

Sorry Vin, Fred, & Irons: I have two Ben 2's , one at work and one in my volly company and I like them both, they are better than cairns or some leather helmet that weighs 8 pounds.. Actually a lot of the senior guys in my house have gotten rid of their old leather ones and opted for the Ben2!!
    med/safety likes this.

Thread Information