Thread: Training help

Forum Member

Default Training help

okay here's the deal. I'm 18 and I'm a volunteer with my local fire department. I want to be a career firefighter. I am curently enrolled in firefighter 1 and start EMT in Oct. Now here's my questions:

What is included in FF2?

Which NIMS classes should I take?

Should I go ahead and take paramedic or work somewhere first?

What other classes should I take?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default training

take nims 100/700/200/800, these are some of the basic ones you need for a career department anyway, ff2 is just more of an application of foam/sprinkler systems/more in the command aspect. try to get your paramedic, most places will look at you harder but you need field experience with the paramedic so ride with a private if you have one in your area. and the last thing is to keep testing everywhere you can,you'll get the job one day

Forum Member

Default training

ok nimms sucks first of all soo just to get you ready for that and you will have to take them no matter what kind of department your on or atleast your department should anyways, FF2 is different in every state, durring my FF1 it was incorporated into it and i got FF1and 2 but the ff2 is pretty much advanced fire attack, leadership roles, and more applications for power tools. as fare as your paramedic goes i would go with being a basic for a while and see if you actually like it at first but make sure you give it time cause its taken me 3 years to finaly come to point were i like ems and now i just signed up to take my intermediat. make sure you go to college to and if you really like fire fightting then i would go to a college that has a Fire science program and look into if they have a live in student program where you can actually live at a fire house thats what i did and i loved every minuit of it. i know maine has a great fire science program at southern maine community college and they also have an excellent live in program this is were i went to school, and Anna maria college has a four year bachelor fire science degree program i heard thats good too i got a budy that goes their but no livin program. the fire science degree's will put you a long ways ahead to in a future fire fighting career. i just graduated in may and now work full time at large plant in north berwick maine doing firefighting/ems/security and i love it and the beni's and pay are excellent. if you want any more info on the live in programs or southern maine community college emial me and ill let you know who to talk to about them and give you as much info on it i can.

Jeff Goodness
    Alfred fire/rescue
    Alfred maine
    Edfirefighter322@yahoo.com

Forum Member

ive already taken 100,200,700, and about to do 800. In north georgia no one recognizes emt basic. I am taking emt intermediate in october. Any other classes i should take.
    Palmer
    NPQ FF2
    NREMT Intermediate
    NPQ Hazardous Materials Technician

Habersham County Fire Departmnet
    Station 11 "Fairfield"

Forum Member

Did you check with the fire academy -- they have a lot of courses

http://www.gpstc.org/calendar/calend...ponsor=102018I
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

Take as many classes as you can
    Last edited by crankshaft; 10-10-2007 at 08:10 AM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

How about a college degree in a fire related field? With a degree, volunteer time, and some EMS time in the streets on an ambulance you will not have a problem getting hired.

FF2 is usually something you obtain once you are hired.

Don't get too involved trying to get every certification possible. You need a balance of experience and education.

Thread Information