Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

I was a volunteer for an agency bordering Duluth for three years. I'm not an expert, nor did I stay at the Holiday Inn Express, but these are my observations.

DFD staffing: Nine engines, one ladder, one quint, one TL, one rescue, one BC, out of nine stations. FD provides BLS EMS first response, all transport by private provider (Gold Cross).

Some potential problems: Some of their outlying engines are staffed with only two. One engine company is on a miles-long mostly residential peninsula, and the call volume is so low that it is staffed with only one, with the potential to be cut off from the mainland for extended periods while a lift bridge is opened. Cutbacks have eliminated a handful of companies and trimmed staffing on remaining units in the past ten years. Recent administration debated making crews do grounds or street maintenance for the City on the side, but that died out quickly in the resulting uproar.

On the other hand, Duluth is a beautiful city, cost of living is relatively low, there is a lot to do on your time off (camping, hiking, boating, skiing, snowmobiling, ATVs, lakes). I know a handful of guys on DFD, and I can't think of any of them that are unhappy with the agency.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am definatly putting an app in. Does anyone have any info on the whole hiring process? is the written a general civil service exam or a new psych test like Madison had?
    I appreciate any info

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey guys, I'm a Duluth firefighter.

As far as the staffing goes, your right on. We have 36 firefighters on duty at any given time most trucks are staffed with three, one truck is staffed with 4 (the quint) three are staffed with two people, and one is staffed with one person. I have only been on the DFD for a short period of time, but I think it's a great department, so far I have really enjoyed my time there. You couldn't ask for a better set of people to work with.

When I took the test it was basic reading, mechanical aptitude, and math test, with some added firefighter one knowledge in there. I can't say for sure what the test will be like this year, for all i know they could have changed it.

Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Im having trouble finding a test site to take the CPAT in time. Any suggestions would be helpful. Any indication on how long this list would be used for or if there are any current or future openings?

MembersZone Subscriber

The CPAT will be offered in the near future at Lake Superior College, you can have your name put on a list to receive information by calling the fire training office at LSC.

MembersZone Subscriber

I found info today about the CPAT. LAke superior College is offering it several dates but the cost is $125.00. I dont know how a city can require this prior to application. It is basicly like having a test fee of $125 just to have a chance of getting on the list which may or may not have openings. I would really like to test but dont think I can afford a hotel and gas twice and a CPAT fee that high.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by residents View Post
    I found info today about the CPAT. LAke superior College is offering it several dates but the cost is $125.00. I dont know how a city can require this prior to application. It is basicly like having a test fee of $125 just to have a chance of getting on the list which may or may not have openings. I would really like to test but dont think I can afford a hotel and gas twice and a CPAT fee that high.

If you want it bad enough, you should be willing to do just about anything. I know I am. Gonna work a few doubles to pay for it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I figured I would get a comment like that back. I am just saying that its stupid to require this cert to test if the cost is so high. Its like the college is getting free money through the Fire Department. Many other cities do the CPAT at no cost to the candidate.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not saying it is right, it is kinda shady, but that is the way it goes sometimes! Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Where there is a will there is a way!

This college offers this CPAT and it is a reconised CPAT tester. They have no affileation with DFD. This is just one of many places you can go.
    Most citys tests that are free are not CPAT, it is that citys own privite test.
    This CPAT test you get a cert. that you can use anywhere in the states.
    P.S. $125 is not a bad price.
    Last edited by SPARKYMN; 09-14-2007 at 07:13 PM.

Forum Member

For what its worth, if you take the CPAT and pass you should recieve a certificate saying you passed. I believe these certificates are good for one year and if you test at any departments that offer the CPAT they will or should accept this certificate as passing and you don't actually have to test with them. This has happened to me a couple times and all I had to do was fax or mail a copy of the passing certificate and I was moved on to the next phase of the process. I don't know if this is the way it is everywhere but I have seen it many times. If you do get a certificate that you passed make copies of it and don't throw it away you never know when a little piece of paper will save you a long trip for a 10 minute test. Hope this helps somebody...Good luck.

Thread Information