Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34350515253
Results 1,041 to 1,056 of 1056
    Forum Member

you spent 2 hours standing outside a window squirting water in a window ?
    trotty ---- you are beyond words ---

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    That is correct as well, I forgot that part. Working 30 minutes is not a big deal. If you can't go 30 minutes without needing a break you might need to consider a career change. Realize, you only get 30 minutes of working time on a 45 minute bottle. And in our case we go in and come out in teams of two. So the amount of working time is dictated by the FF who uses the most air.

And actually, I was stationed outside a window one night just knocking down fire when it would flare up inside this room. I was able to go over 2 hours because we use ISI packs and I could easily go onto air and off of air.
    Wow...i'm speechless.

It's not a matter of being able to work that long my friend. I'd smoke you in a fire, no doubt in my mind. I've been on the fireline at very large forest fires for 20 hours straight (before work/rest rules), and almost all that time digging line.

THAT isn't the point, the point is that most firefighters WILL work until they drop. Why wait for that point?

Besides, you stated it was safer. I still haven't seen how you can make that judgement.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Good analogy Trots.While you and your ISI are OUTSIDE cooling the clapboards,we're INSIDE putting the fire out.And I've been in fires that would render you "DONE" in ten minutes.If you think you can do thirty minutes EASY in heavy fire conditions,I submit you've NEVER been in these conditions.We've got 60 minute bottles,for HAZMAT.Outside of that it's thirties and the Town is still standing.Guess your "science"is dependent on proper tactics and strategy which apparently we employ. T.C.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Good analogy Trots.While you and your ISI are OUTSIDE cooling the clapboards,we're INSIDE putting the fire out.And I've been in fires that would render you "DONE" in ten minutes.If you think you can do thirty minutes EASY in heavy fire conditions,I submit you've NEVER been in these conditions.We've got 60 minute bottles,for HAZMAT.Outside of that it's thirties and the Town is still standing.Guess your "science"is dependent on proper tactics and strategy which apparently we employ. T.C.
    Wasn't my decision to be where I was on that one. It may come as a surprise, but it was a job that someone had to do, since I was packed up and ready to go, I was it. I've also been inside doing the heavy work as well. In the old days with the 30 minute bottles it seemed like you were just getting started when the alarm would go off. It was frustrating as hell. When you went back in you had to get briefed on what had been done and what was to be done.

And Chiefy, if you can't see that it is better to have 11 minutes of air to get out rather than 7 minutes I don't know what to do for you. I'm sure there were a few guys in the CFD that which they had the extra air.

Forum Member

You are right, we use 45 minute bottles.

The key is strict enforcement. When the alarm goes off you get out, no questions asked. In the words of a highly wise man 'Get er Done!"

To show that one is more efficient take a fire fighting time of 1 hour 30 minutes. That will result in 2 ea 45 minute bottles, 3 ea 30 minute bottles. You lose 25% right off the top taking you too 34 minutes and 23 minutes. which means you have 11 minutes and 7 minutes to get out. The 45 minute bottle gives you an extra 4 minutes to exit. And, during the 1.5 hours in question, you get 68 minutes and 69 minutes of useful time. Seems like a wash right. Wrong. With that useful time you have consider the amount of time used to get into the fire (where the work is) if that is 5 minutes then with the 45 minute bottles you have two trip or 10 minutes and the 30 minute bottles will use up 15 minutes.

So it isn't me saying it is safer and more efficient, the numbers say it is so.
    Trotter is not worth the time or energy to explain things to. Once you start using our dead brothers as examples you have lost all creditability.
    Last edited by lexfd5; 10-25-2007 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Trotter not worth the time.

Forum Member

Wasn't my decision to be where I was on that one. It may come as a surprise, but it was a job that someone had to do, since I was packed up and ready to go, I was it. I've also been inside doing the heavy work as well. In the old days with the 30 minute bottles it seemed like you were just getting started when the alarm would go off. It was frustrating as hell. When you went back in you had to get briefed on what had been done and what was to be done.

And Chiefy, if you can't see that it is better to have 11 minutes of air to get out rather than 7 minutes I don't know what to do for you. I'm sure there were a few guys in the CFD that which they had the extra air.
    That has to be the lowest you have ever gone. Using dead brothers as an example. You have finally showed what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5 View Post
    That has to be the lowest you have ever gone. Using dead brothers as an example. You have finally showed what you are.
    (shaking head) I agree with you lex. Unbelieveable... Making light of dead brothers sacrifices to prove a point in an argument. That's even lower than I thought you would even go trotts.

Obviously you have zero respect for anything about our brotherhood.

You will be the first person placed on my ignore list. That is a sad thing because I make it a point to hear everybody's side to an arguement no matter if I agree with them or not. But I refuse to read posts by someone that disrespects our brothers that made the supreme sacrifice such as yours.

-Irons
    Last edited by IronsMan53; 10-25-2007 at 12:07 PM.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5 View Post
    My friend, I'm sorry you misunderstand. I was referring to the fellows who made it out barely with little or no air left. I recall the story of one captain who went in and found a FF walking around trying to find his way, with no air left in his SCBA. I should have made that clear up front. I in no way was talking about those who didn't make it. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Default spelling correction.. I was seeing red!

My friend, I'm sorry you misunderstand. I was referring to the fellows who made it out barely with little or no air left. I recall the story of one captain who went in and found a FF walking around trying to find his way, with no air left in his SCBA. I should have made that clear up front. I in no way was talking about those who didn't make it. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
    It's no misunderstanding. You are a classless boor who spouts off on subjects you know nothing about.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 10-25-2007 at 06:20 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Banned

After the Ordeal, Firefighters Talk of Charleston Fire

Updated: 09-18-2007 10:48:59 AM

SUSAN NICOL KYLE
    Firehouse.Com News

CHARLESTON, S.C. -- "I was just as lost."

That's how Engine 6's Engineer William "Billy Bob" Kilcoyne felt after he was grabbed by a frantic firefighter who was running out of air while battling the fire inside the Sofa Super Store.

It's been nearly three months since a massive blaze claimed nine firefighters here. The memories of that fateful night, however, have not waned.

Other firefighters may not have made it out of the store if it hadn't been for Kilcoyne's actions.

Earlier this week, he recalled the events of that night in June as if it were yesterday.

His engine crew was originally dispatched to fill in at another station, but their assignment changed a few times while they were en route. "When we saw the smoke, we just knew we were going to go."

His captain and the firefighter hopped off the truck immediately, and headed inside. Kilcoyne grabbed a pike pole and walked into darkness.

"It was so thick. It was dark as night. You couldn't see anything."

Kilcoyne started following a hose as he went further into the furniture store. "I could feel the heat. Then, someone was pulling. They grabbed me in the left side, saying they were lost and running out of air...In that moment, the hose was gone. I was just as lost."

He walked around in circles, and managed to find it. "There was furniture on top of hose..."

As they made their way toward the door, they suddenly heard the sounds of the engines running. "It was the best sound we've ever heard. We took off running. He said 'thank you, thank you.' "

Kilcoyne turned and went right back inside. It wasn't long before another firefighter, his captain, panicking that he was running out of air, grabbed the low pressure hose on his mask.

He managed to keep his mask intact as he led his captain out of the building, tripping over furniture as they struggled in the darkness.

Kilcoyne believes he just happened to be in the right place at the right time to lead his comrades out of harm's way.

As he was recounting the events, his company was dispatched for alarm bells. Within seconds, he was donning his turnout gear and jumping into the engine.

After the Ordeal, Firefighters Talk of Charleston Fire

This is exactly what I am talking about. I wonder who knows nothing about this? I read the articles, apparently some haven't. I have just shown you 3 instances, documented by a FF in CFD, where they wish they had more air. If you can't figure out that more air is better then I don't know what to tell you.

Trotter, you may as well face it, you are a classless mutt. Every other post you put forth is somehow misinterpreted by everybody else. Why is that?
    Your track record is self evident; your posts barely amount to senseless drivel, your experience is elementary, and your knowledge of even basic firefighting is pathetic.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Trotter
    Looks like he's been removed, whatever that means...
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

cdevoe, beergod, TrojanHorse, HotTrotter, herpes.....none of them really ever go away, at least for very long. They all come back. Another time, another name maybe, but he'll be back, too.

I just blocked him, and stayed out of his feces disturbing tactic. Come to think of it, I've not been around much at all, so having him blocked didn't matter much anyway.
    Last edited by Steamer; 10-25-2007 at 11:38 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

As a Memberzone Subscriber, I believe you can change the text that shows below your screen name. I would not put it past him to change his text to say Permanently Removed just to stir people up.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

But Steamer,we miss you! T.C.

Here's a thought.If you've got black inky smoke down to your Ked laces you should:
    A: Be on a hoseline
    B:Be on a Rope
    C:Not be there at all
    D:Venting or calling for one
    E:Figuring out the job may not be going in your favor
    F:Any combination of the above
    It's not like most of us haven't been there at some point but without cameras and with heavy smoke clear to the floor it does tend to muck up operations a bit. In this case,a truss roof and heavy fire certainly didn't help.And I'm not real keen on a rope in a furniture store but as long as it's whole it does give you a reference point back to where you came in.In these conditions,people a lot smarter than me have determined your effective radius is going to be under 200'.In a rescue/Rit kind of situation.While some may not,I tend to agree. T.C.

Thread Information