Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Are Explorers allowed to respond to medicals?

Are Explorers allowed to respond to medicals?

Some who have basic 1st responder type training are, but no direct patient contact is made by the explorer. They are there strictly to help.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

When we're riding along, we are. The department I've rode with encourages us to be up near the pt. to see what's going on and for gophing, but there's no contact to the pt. We aren't allowed to do anything accept grab stuff and hand it to the medics/emts.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Considering my department doesn't respond to medicals - no!

But your dept. is apparently different. It's up to your department whether or not you can ride to them, and what you can and can't do while on scene.

I don't think Juniors should respond to Medicals. While I know people will come and say what if they are qualified so on and so forth. In my eyes it doesn't make a difference, training isn't the real thing. To be honest many 14-16 or whatever age groups you have, I don't think could handle nor should they be exposed to some of the things that can be seen on a medical call. Chill out and wait a few years as you got plenty of time to respond to medicals in the years to come.

For the record my dept does not let Juniors attend medicals. If they somehow get on the truck, which never happens they remain in the vehicle for the duration of the call.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

As for the OP....that depends on the post you are with. There are many issues to deal with such as HIPPA, bloodborne/airborne pathogens etc.

I have to agree with ndvfdff33 here. There is a lot that happens on a medical call that most teenagers shouldn't have to see, as well as pt/family privacy and so forth. It is one thing to have an EMT attending to you, but can be uncomfortable to have a teenager right there just watching.

When I was an Explorer we could do ride alongs on the ambulance. It got the most calls and saw the most action, so it was great as an Explorer. However, there were calls I wasn't ready for and some things a civilian shouldn't be exposed to. Things like people under arrest that have to be transported, pt's spitting on others, violent pt's and so forth. It is one thing to have the education and another to be in the environment, it is also one more thing for a FF/ EMT to worry about. If they get exposed it is one thing, however, they are also tasked with keeping you safe and that is hard to expalin an exposure about an Explorer, especially if they signed a waiver.

For those purposes, Explorers are no longer allowed to do ride alongs on the ambulance for us and can only be on a pump or ladder.

This is something regulated by your local Dept of Public Health type regulations and your own internal department policies. Asking on here is useless because the answers do not apply to you. You need to ask your department if you are allowed to go to medicals.

For the life of me, I don't understand why people come on here and ask questions like this when the answer is in front of their face at home.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    When we're riding along, we are. The department I've rode with encourages us to be up near the pt. to see what's going on and for gophing, but there's no contact to the pt. We aren't allowed to do anything accept grab stuff and hand it to the medics/emts.
    As we are both from the same place...................I would like to second the above post.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Some who have basic 1st responder type training are, but no direct patient contact is made by the explorer. They are there strictly to help.
    This is the case with our department as well. Our jr's are very well trained and I would not hesitate them going on any call with me.
    GFD748 First in... Last out.. Everyone goes home.... Do the best job you can and do it safely

Forum Member

The only reason that an explorer should be allowed to run a medical call is if they are currently in an EMT class and trying to get their license. Even with first responder training they do not know enought to determine some things. If they just so happen to be with you then take them and let them learn. Remember they are the future of the department.

god

as long as an explorer is an EMT-B or -P ...they can ride in the ambulance and primarily observe and provide pt care but only to the scope of their license's/dept's protocol

We can go to medical calls but we have to stay at the truck because of patent privacy.

Explorers at the Department I am on can only respond to medicals if they are at the hall when the call comes in and if there is space on the truck for them(most of the time, the FFs take the Bush Truck which only sits two so we rarely go on meds.) When we do go on Meds., we get stuff out of the med bag and hand them to the Firefighters. We also help the EMS crew with the cot and help them load the person into the back of the Ambulance. Then we go back to the truck, put our gloves in the Bio bag and get back in the truck and wait for the Firefighters to get done helping the EMS crew.

If you can have First Responder Certification at age 16 why not allow said nationally certified first responder to respond to medical calls? (with an EMT/Medic on board as well)

Ive ridden the ambulance since i was 16, with a CPR certification and minimal training in what was what to assist the EMT and Medic. It gave me a good insight into how a medical scenario is supposed to be handled, and gave me real world experiences to draw upon when i did go to class to obtain my EMT-B.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbonetrexler View Post
    If you can have First Responder Certification at age 16 why not allow said nationally certified first responder to respond to medical calls? (with an EMT/Medic on board as well)

No one says you can't, it is just up to dept policy. Some allow it, some don't, there are many legal considerations to take in for medical calls that depts have to worry about, and sometimes it is best not to let any outsider ride.

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    No one says you can't, it is just up to dept policy. Some allow it, some don't, there are many legal considerations to take in for medical calls that depts have to worry about, and sometimes it is best not to let any outsider ride.
    i realize that, i was asking for departments who do have such policies to elaborate.

"sometimes it is best not to let any outsider ride."

How does an explorer/junior qualify as an "outsider"????
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber

We'll let those Explorers who have completed First Responder certification respond. We have a couple that have obtained their EMT license, and of course they're allowed to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    We'll let those Explorers who have completed First Responder certification respond. We have a couple that have obtained their EMT license, and of course they're allowed to respond.
    Whats the maximum age of your explorers?

edit

I forgot to say not at my department to the OP.
    Last edited by jacklrd; 08-30-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Forum Member

yeah we are allowed to ride out on medicals. we arent supose to have direct pt contact, but if we are in a real bic pinch we can as long as we have the proper training.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Quote Originally Posted by mikie333 View Post
    as long as an explorer is an EMT-B or -P ...they can ride in the ambulance and primarily observe and provide pt care but only to the scope of their license's/dept's protocol
    I don't see how you having an explorer who is an EMT is possible. First Responder yes, but EMT no. Sure as heck not a Paramedic.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information