Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking to get started

I'm looking to get started with my firefighting career and want to know the best route to take. That is why i've come to the guys that do it everyday. I live in north texas up by Sherman. Wondering what I need to do....just contact departments and go from there or is there somewhere to sign up and start getting trained?? And are there specific things I need to get certified in, or is it all pretty standard??......Look forward to hearing from y'all

Thanks

Forum Member

Hey. I'd try looking up the phone number in the phone book and calling. Even if no one's there they should have a number recorded in which to reach an officer. I'm sure they'd love to have you, everyone is always looking for manpower. You'll probably start off with in-house training in basic things like hose handling, traffic control, grass fires, etc. Then you'll probably be sent to some sort of fire school, we use TEEX/Brayton Fire Field which is in College Station and run by Texas A&M. There are 4 levels of annual fire schools, and also a Recruit Academy, which is basically a crash course that will throw you in to the career field, although the waiting list is a few years so I hear. After a few annual schools, which are a mix of a little bit of everything, you'll probably take some specialized courses, such as EMT, Extrication, Haz-Mat, Rope Rescue, Wildfires, Emergency Vehicle Operations, Pump Ops, etc. Hope this helps, feel free to ask anymore questions, I'm happy to help.

MembersZone Subscriber

I went to rookie school in Sherman. The name of it is Haz-Co fire academy. Pretty good scool that has EMT training with the fire school. In north TX most places require you to be at least a FF-EMT before they will hire you. There is a lot of competition for the jobs. The best way to get a job is to be a paramedic as well.

Thread Information