MembersZone Subscriber

Default Governor asks for increased funding for fire training

I'm thinking it's about time. Now, if only we could get MUFRTI (or anyone else, for that matter) to get the training this money will fund to departments outside of the I-70 corridor.

__________________________________________________ _______________

August 16, 2007 -- SEDALIA - Missouri Governor Matt Blunt today announced that he will ask for increased funding to help train Missouri firefighters in next year’s budget.

“Our firefighters are among Missouri’s bravest public servants. They routinely put their lives on the line to protect our families and friends,” Blunt said. “It is appropriate that our state do all that we can to support them. That is why I am announcing nearly a one-third increase in funding to help train our firefighters. I want to commend the bravery and sacrifices that all of our firefighters make to ensure our safety.”

Blunt will call for an additional $100,000, a 31.6 percent increase, from General Revenue for firefighter training bringing the total to $415,908 for Fiscal Year 2009. The current state budget includes $315,908 to support the training of Missouri’s firefighters. This added funding will be used to provide training to firefighters and others on fire fighting, fire service management, technical rescue and life saving techniques, arson detection, hazardous materials recognition and response, and fire safety inspections.

The governor recently signed legislation that prohibits employers from firing volunteer firefighters as a result of actions they take as a volunteer firefighter. He also signed legislation that protects retirement benefits for firefighters by providing that any cancer caused by exposure to heat or radiation shall be presumed to be suffered in the line of duty by firefighters.

Source: Missouri Governor

Forum Member

Default New Fire Academy in N. Central MO could use some help

I know...I know...we are all po'dunk hicks in the sticks...all that money should be spent on "REAL" big city far' deparmunts....NOT!!! All I know is that we have a geat opportunity here in north central missouri to have a great training site, but can't seem to get any help in getting it off the ground. We'd be tickled to get $5,000. I can only hope that the good govenor knows the number of small departments up here that could use some simple BASIC firefighter training are worth the piece of the pie we have long gone without.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firemanmike218 View Post
    I know...I know...we are all po'dunk hicks in the sticks...all that money should be spent on "REAL" big city far' deparmunts....NOT!!! All I know is that we have a geat opportunity here in north central missouri to have a great training site, but can't seem to get any help in getting it off the ground. We'd be tickled to get $5,000. I can only hope that the good govenor knows the number of small departments up here that could use some simple BASIC firefighter training are worth the piece of the pie we have long gone without.
    firemanmike,
    I know that we do not get much training down in the bootheel and I would almost bet the farm that Catch does not get much over in southwest Mo. It's like Catch's quote it's all along the I-70, 40 and 44 corridor's or at least where they intersect.

Looked on MUFRTI site and found only one class in se MO. Is it a lack of opportunity or a lack of those seeking classes

Jim
    Last edited by batt403; 08-24-2007 at 12:29 AM.

Forum Member

Default You want training?

I think you have a good question there? Is it availability or desireability...(no charge for them big words)...I think that MUFRTI does a good job if you want a nice certificate to hang on the wall. I think what most departments need is a good two to three hour class that covers basic stuff. People are busy...so there is the delima of geeting people to training meetings. I help out some small departments in the area up here that just need some help with the basics. I encourage drills that are realistic...here's the scenerio and they run hot and work it like its real...pack up... charge lines...connect to water source. This is after some classroom and hands on stuff and when its all said and done...the guys and gals LOVE IT! Not many depts have a "training officer" which is to say in the rural setting are neither trained nor an officer. I would encourage depts to contact MUFRTI and the Div. of Fire Safety and find out what they are willing to do, but a good, hot, drill may show some weak areas that need a little inside dept. training. If you aren't concerned with a certificate from these entities...let me know. Id be willing to go anywhere if it meant a dept. was getting more training than they have.

Mike
    Last edited by firemanmike218; 09-01-2007 at 01:27 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mike,

Love that attitude to help!

Our depatment and a few others have started using each other's T.O.'s to do training. The theory being, since it's not someone from our department the training will be more interesting, or at least it is a different face to look at

Our department just promoted a new T.O. and the first thing that I did was stress to him how important it is for "him" to be up to date on training. I also let him know that he will be going to a lot of training this next year from a variety of institutes, MUFRTI, NFA, VFIS, FDIC etc...But, with our department being 100% volunteer we have to work around his work schedule.

Back in the 90's, the former chief got it approved by the board to pay folks $300 a week to go to the NFA. Although this amount is minimal it helps offset the vacation time folks have to use.

Even with the different T.O.'s, $300.00, and other perks we try to provide it is still difficult to motivate people who do not want to be motivated.

Forum Member

Wink How to motivate volunteers 101

Batt,

The number 1 way to motivate volunteers...show a huge amount of appreciation. Do you give service pins? How about a small sticker to put on their helmet for every entry or roof ventilation? Do you have get-togethers from time to time with family involvement? And give them (family) a token of appreciation?

Force yourself to make training exciting and DON'T WASTE PEOPLE'S TIME!

If you set a date and time...keep it. Don't keep people guessing or cancel.

Have a fund raiser specifically for training, a chilli cookoff, bbq as a group effort.

Train like you fight and fight like you train...many people get confused on the fire scene because they are told to fight in a way they never trained...this will ruin volunteerism faster than anything.

Don't leave people hanging...dry spells are common...stay in touch...make a phone call to those who don't show and just let them know they were missed.

News letters with your folks pics work great! If pride is the pay...pay up!

These are just some of the things I see that has and can help.

Just one of the many fine services we offer free of charge at the Trenton Fire Dept.

Mike

www.trentonfiredepartment.com

Thread Information