Permanently Removed

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    I don't recall any minimum size for the generator in NFPA or ISO, but I haven't poked around there in awhile either.
    I always strive to state only facts here on FH, but just for fun I am going to say it is 6kW. ( I too have not looked at this for a while so I am just guessing, but I feel lucky tonight).

Bigger gets you more ISO points. TL

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Firefighter807;853303]1. A big shiny oval above the center of the grille with the letters PIERCE in beautiful script.

here's one with not 1 oval, but 2 on the front of the truck.

http://www.piercemfg.com/new_deliver...58&Type=Pumper

Permanently Removed

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ctxffman View Post
    here's one with not 1 oval, but 2 on the front of the truck.
    Those were just put on there to cover the misallocated holes some drunk, hung-over Monday morning worker cut in the fascia for the wipers! TL

MembersZone Subscriber

A roof ladder as mentioned but spec it with hooks at both end of the ladder, It makes deployment on the far side of the roof much easier should you need it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Adam,Odd, that's not the information we got on generators.In fact,our electrician told us to figure our total projected load and spec the generator at least 25% BIGGER.A straining or at load capacity generator will build more heat and load internals quicker than an "oversized"unit.Same methology applies to arc welders or most anything electrical including your house service fusebox.I'm thinking I'm not buying the "just adequate" part of this discussion.My standby plant at Cental(just bought)is a 35K and I'd call that adequate.We're speccing a 15K for the tower. T.C.
    Tim,

Now, I'm really going to have to seek out an answer. I've got to find the guy who reported this to us as he seemed to be very convincing that this was the case. I beleive it was the electrical engineer from Verizon who came to spec the LPG generator for our station when they built a tower on to the side of it. His concern was that we would test the "shared" generator weekly under full load. Add during this discussion he related the near to undersized info as we asked about his thoughts on the generator for our tower.

I believe it was little to do with distribution and more to do with making making the power (the difference between house power/welders?). Also we considered that it would be rare to run the generator at full capacity during an operation as while lights are easy to figure, the load on the number of outlets and cord reels will often be far less than their full potential.

I'll see what I can see...

Forum Member

We were awarded building generators in a grant for 2006. The engineers checked the building for it's max load and then spec'd a generator that was slightly in excess of that load.

ISO only looks for a 2500 watt electric generator. Size does not matter, according to their FRSR (whatever the damn initials are). You get full points for a 2500 or more and no points for anything less.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Cool True colors...

Quote Originally Posted by SSIaerialmanTIM View Post
    Those were just put on there to cover the misallocated holes some drunk, hung-over Monday morning worker cut in the fascia for the wipers! TL
    Well... I kind of liked reading your informative (although obviously slanted) posts. They did bring an insightful look at some different and interesting issues. But this is uncalled for.
    Last edited by L3Truckee; 08-22-2007 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Dignity

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Two Logos

I assumed because of the center placement of the Roto-Ray warning light that the logo had to go somewhere else and that to make it look symetric they put two logos on the front.

No wonder Pierce trucks are more expensive. You are paying for their extra advertizement!

Is it true that the rigs with Roto-Rays go 10 mile an hour faster when the Roto-Ray gets spooled up???

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post

Is it true that the rigs with Roto-Rays go 10 mile an hour faster when the Roto-Ray gets spooled up???
    Roto-Rays make me mad. I don't know why. Just seems so..... I dunno. Just annoys the crap out of me.

No response to this needed. I fully acknowledge that this is just a petty annoyance that my mis-wired brain turns into something substantial, yet still needless.

But I do hate them.......

Ok, gotta go. Time to flip thru the yellow pages and find a good therapist.

Permanently Removed

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by L3Truckee View Post
    Well... I kind of liked reading your informative (although obviously slanted) posts. They did bring an insightful look at some different and interesting issues. But this is uncalled for.
    Did you have a bad day or something L3? Or did I step on someone's toes with the some facts somewhere that offended you? "Slanted posts" my butt! How about posts "pulled" because a Mfg cries and whines? Now that is "slanted".

THE QUOTE ABOVE WAS A JOKE hence the big stupid smiley face and all. Get over it please. I have grown very tired of "offended me" crowd, spend your time elsewhere - I have never said a bad word about Pierce.

Please pardon my humor, let the other real Pierce bashers continue though without a word.

If you can get past being "offended", keep reading my postings about things that should matter to you and other FF's. TL

Forum Member

You people make me laugh! I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything while reading these!

I have gone back and read our ISO evaluation, we where given only partial credit for a 5kw generator. It did state for full credit a 6kw or larger was needed. Has ISO changed its standard over the last couple of years?

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are looking to buy a certin truck that is manufactured in central Ohio, check to see if you can get a positive angle from the basket monitors to flow a large attack into places like stripmalls and garages when using your truck.... We can not and we were told not to rig it with elbows or the such to achive the low level large flow capacity by that company.

1.) Long standing repuable company
    2.) large amount of ground ladders 2-35's 1-30 1-28 1-24 - extensions; 1-20 1-18, 1-14 - roofs; attic ladder, little giant
    3.) lighting and generator
    4.) Multiple saws, 2- k-12 (each loaded with different blades), and a chainsaw
    5.) Multiple and an extensive array of hand tools (axes, halligans, hooks)professionally mounted
    6.) rope equipment
    7.) new scba's
    8.) TIC
    9.) gas and electric fans
    10.) trained and skilled ff's to do the job

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tower47 View Post
    You people make me laugh! I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything while reading these!

I have gone back and read our ISO evaluation, we where given only partial credit for a 5kw generator. It did state for full credit a 6kw or larger was needed. Has ISO changed its standard over the last couple of years?
    Always possible. It's not like they really have a clue as to what's important.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

We just went through and ISO inspection in NC and the required generator per ISO was a 10 kw and only on a ladder/service co. they did give us partial credited for an 8 kw.

On the note of a quality co. Pierce makes a fine fire engine. I have talked to aerial testers and most say that pierce does have alot of problems when it comes to stress testing and what not, and that smeal and sutphen have proven to be a few of the top aerials. Just mnake sure you cover all grounds when specing a aerial device. Talk to the companies the build them all the way to the third party testers along with fire companies that use the everyday. It doesnt take rocket science to spec any fire truck, it just takes a well versed committee that is willing to spend about 18 to 24 months to spec a truck. This amount of time is needed to travel and find what works what doesnt work, what departments like, what they dont like and etc.
    Good luck in you aerial specing

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    Just make sure you don't wreck it by putting a pump on it.
    Wreck it? A pump is a must have.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

I can't tell you how many rigs I see that are just beautiful...every bell and whistle. However, when you open a compartment it filled with nothing or old useless crap. Why, because they spent all their money on the rig. What a waste. The rig really doesn't put out the fire. It is little more than a people mover. Ocassionally, the aerial puts some water on and does deliver the truckies safely to an elevated point. What puts out the fires or at least supports the engine guys is the training of the people on the rig and the tools they carry. Without a few simple, high quality tools we are little more than well informed citizens. So the moral of my story is spend some money on the equipment going on the thing. A FireHooks Unlimited catalog is a good place to start.

Thread Information