Forum Member

Question buying a new truck.

i was wondering when your department has to buy a new truck or engine,who takes the final decision concerning the manufacturers:Pierce,Seagrave,Ferrara......?is there a board of officers who decide that?or do the manufacturers send you an "offer", with the best prices they can make?
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frenchfireball View Post
    i was wondering when your department has to buy a new truck or engine,who takes the final decision concerning the manufacturers:Pierce,Seagrave,Ferrara......?is there a board of officers who decide that?or do the manufacturers send you an "offer", with the best prices they can make?
    Generally, for a vollie/POC department, a comittee is formed. The comittee is made up of firefighters and fire dept. line officers and maybe a couple city council people. The comittee writes up what they want the truck to have (length of ladder/aerial, size of tank, engine type, pump per minute amout (i.e. 1500 gallons a minute), custom or commercial cab). Then they send their list to sales reps of the manufacturers. The sales reps write up specs for the rig and try to match the list the comittee made. The sales reps and manufacturers put together bids with the specs and maybe are able to put in computer design (aka CAD) pictures to show what the rig will look like. The comittee then makes a decision based on the bids and specs.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

thanks for your reply.if i correctly understood your post,you can have a "custom made" truck,because the comittee wrote the length of ladder,size of tank...).

here it is nearly impossible,if you want to have such truck,it is very expensive.at the station they have an aerial ladder truck ,and near our town,they also have the same aerial ladder truck(same length).
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

Let's talk fire trucks!

Fireball, you're correct for the most part.

There is A LOT of customization on many rigs that are delivered. One customer might want a 22" extended front bumper with a tray for hose and a reel for hydraulic rescue equipment, while the next customer just wants a 6" extended front bumper with no options in it.

Water tanks are generally sized in increments of 250 (US) gallons: 500, 750, 1000, 1250, etc. But say you want a 625 gallon tank? Not a problem, just be sure to put that in your specifications. Also, when it comes to the length of the ladder on an aerial device, most manufacturer's have standard lengths that they make (75', 85', 95', 100', 105', etc). However, this can also be customized, as a nearby department has a 103.5' ladder, because that's the longest thing that would fit in their building.

Like many things in the US, buying (and funding) a fire engine can be a complicated thing. Some volunteer departments get little to no support from their local government, so they spend many, many years raising the money to purchase a new fire engine. Some volunteer departments have the entire rig paid for by the local government. Sometimes, the cost is split.

Local and state laws vary from place to place about purchasing. One place might be able to just call E-One and say, "build us a fire engine," and it's a done deal. Other places force the purchaser to go out to bid and get prices from several different manufacturer's, and then purchase the lowest bid (which is not always a good thing), or in the case of where I live, the lowest responsible bid. This would be the bidder that took the fewest number of exceptions to the specifications you wrote up, while still having a competitive price.

Not sure if this was a help, or if it just confused things for you!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Fireball, you're correct for the most part.

There is A LOT of customization on many rigs that are delivered. One customer might want a 22" extended front bumper with a tray for hose and a reel for hydraulic rescue equipment, while the next customer just wants a 6" extended front bumper with no options in it.

Water tanks are generally sized in increments of 250 (US) gallons: 500, 750, 1000, 1250, etc. But say you want a 625 gallon tank? Not a problem, just be sure to put that in your specifications. Also, when it comes to the length of the ladder on an aerial device, most manufacturer's have standard lengths that they make (75', 85', 95', 100', 105', etc). However, this can also be customized, as a nearby department has a 103.5' ladder, because that's the longest thing that would fit in their building.

Like many things in the US, buying (and funding) a fire engine can be a complicated thing. Some volunteer departments get little to no support from their local government, so they spend many, many years raising the money to purchase a new fire engine. Some volunteer departments have the entire rig paid for by the local government. Sometimes, the cost is split.

Local and state laws vary from place to place about purchasing. One place might be able to just call E-One and say, "build us a fire engine," and it's a done deal. Other places force the purchaser to go out to bid and get prices from several different manufacturer's, and then purchase the lowest bid (which is not always a good thing), or in the case of where I live, the lowest responsible bid. This would be the bidder that took the fewest number of exceptions to the specifications you wrote up, while still having a competitive price.

Not sure if this was a help, or if it just confused things for you!
    no this is ok,your reply is pretty "clear" for me.it helps me to understand the way you do in the USA,to have firetrucks and the way you can deal with manufacturers when it is possible to "discuss "the prices,of course.

and you know lowest prices for trucks here,is like what you wrote,not a good thing sometimes:bad quality truck.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Buying a Truck

Fireball
    What is the process in France? I belive in England and Germany that if the Federal Government supplies the money that the trucks have to meet a detailed standardized specification with little to no customization. It is my understanding if local government money is used, there is more flexibility with the specifications.

In the US, the Federal Government will supply funds for Airport ARFF units. They have to be low bidder that meets a standardized specification with no provision for customization.

In the US, many fire departments are volunteer and raise their own money to buy trucks. They can buy whatever they want if they can afford it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    Fireball
    What is the process in France? I belive in England and Germany that if the Federal Government supplies the money that the trucks have to meet a detailed standardized specification with little to no customization. It is my understanding if local government money is used, there is more flexibility with the specifications.

In the US, the Federal Government will supply funds for Airport ARFF units. They have to be low bidder that meets a standardized specification with no provision for customization.

In the US, many fire departments are volunteer and raise their own money to buy trucks. They can buy whatever they want if they can afford it.
    in France same thing than in Germany,the government supplies the money for buying a new truck.so that is why there is no cutomization.just standardized specification like for aerial ladders for example,all the same length,and with the same equipment on them.

this is really different in the USA according to the posts i read.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

Thread Information