Forum Member

Default So these people PAY for quietness

So there I am reading the paper this morning and lo and behold I find an article about people PAYING money to meditate.

Aparently the trend is to shut off the cell phones, blackberries, laptops, and get away from everyone.

Forgive me for being an uneducated dolt, but I do not need to pay $300+ for a week off and away from electronics. Some people just have too much money and not enough common sense to just go camping.

Some people paying $1,200 for aroma therapy. I mean geez, a Yankee Candle costs what? $20 if you want teh big overpriced one.

Maybe I am just too bitter and cynical.

http://www.telegram.com/article/2007...55/1157/NEWS03

Getting connected

In world of stimuli overload, meditation offers chance to actually listen

By Danielle Williamson TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

Even as a leader of an organization that emphasizes the importance of alone time, Bob Agoglia often succumbs to the temptation to stay connected with everything and everyone.

“There’s wireless this, wireless that,” said Mr. Agoglia, executive director of the Insight Meditation Society in Barre. “It’s been a long time since I’ve been on vacation without my computer.”

But Mr. Agoglia is also familiar with an alternate concept: shutting off all the gadgets and escaping to a peaceful, less distracting setting. He has attended spiritual retreats since 1979.

Getting away from technological, personal and occupational distractions can be rejuvenating, according to leaders of area venues that offer spiritual retreats.

Researchers have found that meditation, often practiced during retreats, helps people pay attention and make decisions. Spiritual retreat centers, generally located on large plots of land, give visitors a quiet place to meditate and relax.

Some retreats, like those at the Insight Meditation Society, are held in silence. Getaways at the Calvary Retreat Center in Shrewsbury and the Maharishi Vedic Health Center in Lancaster, for example, offer opportunities for verbal interaction.

Located on 200 acres, Insight Meditation Society offers two- to nine-day silent retreats for people new to meditation. Demand for these programs led to the opening in 2003 of the nearby Forest Refuge, where experienced retreat-goers stay in silence for periods up to a year, according to Gyano Gibson, communications director for IMS. Retreat fees are on a sliding scale; the cost for an Aug. 31 to Sept. 3 retreat, for example, ranges from $90 to $310.

Except in special circumstances, visitors can’t use phones. There’s no television or entertainment. The only breaks from silence include twice-daily meetings with the center’s teachers.

On a recent sunny afternoon, a dozen long-term guests at Forest Refuge walked on a covered platform attached to the main building, or sat, quietly, gazing at a grassy courtyard. The only sounds were of birds, insects and footsteps.

“Retreats allow people’s minds to settle,” Ms. Gibson said. “When we talk a lot, we get caught up in the future, planning, remembering — a lot of that stops us from (introspection).”

Richard J. Davidson, professor of psychology and psychiatry at the University of Wisconsin in Madison, published results from a study at IMS in the May 8 online edition of the journal PLoS Biology. Three months of rigorous training in meditation improved ability to detect a brief visual signal that most people cannot detect, the study found.

A later Davidson study, released in June, found meditation increases activity in brain regions used for paying attention and making decisions.

But committing to long periods of silence is not easy in a society preoccupied with external stimuli, said Sharon Salzberg, an IMS teacher and cofounder.

“It’s almost like a mental technology,” said Ms. Salzberg, a Barre resident.

The Center for Mindfulness at University of Massachusetts Medical School in Worcester offers a stress reduction program that some use to prepare for extended retreats.

“In any kind of mindfulness meditation training, people are helped with the natural tendency to move away from what’s happening in the present moment,” said Melissa Blacker, a senior teacher and director of professional training for the UMass center.

Worcester resident Merin Montalvo, 26, learned about IMS after completing the stress reduction program, and attended a five-day silent retreat at IMS in February.

Overwhelmed by the demands of planning her upcoming wedding, Miss Montalvo welcomed the break.

Even as she washed dishes with a fellow retreat-goer, Miss Montalvo didn’t speak.

“Silence was particularly hard for me,” she said in a telephone interview last week. “The first two days, I was really craving the connection. By the third and fourth, I got used to it. By day five, I was ready to leave.”

Miss Montalvo said she returned to her daily activities with a clear mind.

At Calvary Retreat Center in Shrewsbury, there are no periods of forced silence, said Retreat Director Ernest R. Rivard.

“We try to create opportunities for retreatants to dialogue among themselves,” he said.

Participants, most of them Catholic, are drawn to Calvary’s retreats for different reasons, including addiction, a loved one’s death, financial worries and the simple desire to recharge, he said.

“Once in a while, we’ll have someone who hasn’t been around church as much as others, and ducks out of the more formal parts.

“I think people need some of that pause time to try and reflect on, ‘What the heck am I doing in my life?’ ” said Mr. Rivard.

St. Joseph’s Abbey in Spencer, a retreat house with 11 private rooms, requires visitors to book retreats six months in advance. The abbey says the retreat house "closely conforms to the atmosphere of the monastery."

For $650 to $1,195 a day, the Maharishi Vedic Health Center in Lancaster offers individually catered programs that include massage, aromatherapy, holistic health techniques and the opportunity for meditation and silence.

“We know that whatever happens inside, as far as personal fulfillment, depends a great deal on our health and stress level,” said Lucija Talijancic, Maharishi’s director of health education. “Many people say that after a week here, they feel 10 years younger.”

For some, seeking inner peace and relaxation is a far less expensive proposition.

Gardner resident Shaun Suhoski said that while thoughts of multiple-day, introspective getaways are intriguing, he finds serenity in the nature around him: mountains, rivers, quarries and twilight hikes around Dunn State Park in Gardner.

“You can’t always get away for three days,” said Mr. Suhoski, Ayer’s town administrator. “But you can find a couple of hours to allow your brain a break from the day-to-day trivium.”

Contact Danielle Williamson by e-mail at dawilliamson@telegram.com
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

IACOJ BOD

4 hours we spent sitting there like stunned mullets.

300 dollars an hour it cost us Mavis, and then what happens.

That mad sod Fred farts.

The whole thing down the drain, just like that.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

interesting article but i also think that you do not need to pay a lot of money to meditate.money is everywhere and spoils everything:relationship,environment........

as far as i'm concerned,i think we can not "buy" peace of mind.i just think if you are bored with comps or cell phones,just stop them.if you need quiet moments,go outside(if you live in countryside),or go camping.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Wink

Luckily, I need only put the leash on the dog and walk across the street to the beach. Of course, the dog goes tearing into the water, making everything in his path run squealing for the opposite direction...not really meditatating but it sure is fun!! It's pretty cool if we catch a dolphin swimming out there. It's peaceful.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am sure this will store up a whole sh*t storm. But, it seems to me the people that pay for this are WAY TO EDUCATED. (ie: liberal?). Notice how most "uneducated" people (ie: conservative?), will pay $25 bucks for a fishing or hunting license and get the same thing?
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire View Post
    I am sure this will store up a whole sh*t storm. But, it seems to me the people that pay for this are WAY TO EDUCATED. (ie: liberal?). Notice how most "uneducated" people (ie: conservative?), will pay $25 bucks for a fishing or hunting license and get the same thing?
    Sorry to hi jack, but...

Waterbry, I will be traveling around New England for my honeymoon in October and will pass through Vermont. Any suggestions on small, quaint towns to visit?
    28 P.R.I.D.E.
    Protecting Residents In District #1 Everyday
    www.westmead1.com

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yeah............

Stir it up!! I got your back. And, where do we fish first??
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Badgerland FOOL

Excellent point.....I love going hunting and fishing for peace and quiet, but, even if you don't hunt or fish...pay a couple bucks for a one day state park/state trail pass and go hiking. Better yet, find some free trails or wildlife areas and just get lost for awhile. Why pay $300 bucks when there are cheaper and IMHO much better options to unwind and get away????

Rich people...sheeesh

MembersZone Subscriber

It's not the $25 license that's the problem, it's the $400+ rifle/shotgun and the $30,000 boat.

I'm with ya man.

Forum Member

the cost for an Aug. 31 to Sept. 3 retreat, for example, ranges from $90 to $310.
    Erm... Not for nothing but, around here, you'd be hard pressed to find a decent hotel room for that price. It's not as if they're doing anything more or less than any other "theme lodging" and they're not even charging all that much money for it. Hell, I've spent as much or more than that going camping for a long weekend...

Some people camp in the woods to get a little peace and quiet; some go on "retreats." The one is ultimately very little different from the other.

To each his own, eh?
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 08-21-2007 at 10:20 AM.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post

If you ever get this way, the river that flows through town is FULL of rainbow trout 15+ inches and some brown trout. The rainbows are stocked in the spring, but still are fun to catch later in the summer. And a few years later after they spawn. And if you want a fight, fish the little streams for brook trout. A 6 inch fish will feel like a whale!! They have more fight for their size than anything else bigger.. (in my opinion).
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    4 hours we spent sitting there like stunned mullets.

300 dollars an hour it cost us Mavis, and then what happens.

That mad sod Fred farts.

The whole thing down the drain, just like that.
    Dang near choked on my Starburst Lemon Chew over that one!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the $25 license that's the problem, it's the $400+ rifle/shotgun and the $30,000 boat.

I'm with ya man.

Yeah, but at least you can use them many times.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FrFtr28 View Post
    Sorry to hi jack, but...

Waterbry, I will be traveling around New England for my honeymoon in October and will pass through Vermont. Any suggestions on small, quaint towns to visit?
    Er um.........................Vermont is full of nothing but.

Of course New Hampshire is better.........No sales tax in those charming little towns. (Sorry, it's just my cheap pr!ckness coming out)

Forum Member

PT Barnum was right.There really IS a sucker born every minute.
    These folks would go to a zoo and then pay to see the "egress"thinking it was a female bird.
    On the other thing,I have a hard enough time buying a firearm or fishing gear and then convincing the g/f that I really DO need the accessories like ammunition,stronger line,holsters,licenses,and of course new tackle and a tackle box to tote it in.
    Some women understand those needs but the ones I meet never seem to believe it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    I have a hard enough time buying a firearm or fishing gear and then convincing the g/f that I really DO need the accessories like...
    Deer Hunting Expenses Explained: http://www.bigducky.com/videos/funny_videos/deer.htm

Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 08-24-2007 at 05:37 AM.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Badgerland FOOL

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    LMAO........too funny....Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

On second thought, let them pay their $300 meditation retreat. I don't want them filling up the parks, the mountains and rivers are already too crowded!
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Of course New Hampshire is better.........No sales tax in those charming little towns.
    Or you can go see the real thing in Maine... my parents just got indoor plumbing last weekend.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Er um.........................Vermont is full of nothing but.

Of course New Hampshire is better.........No sales tax in those charming little towns. (Sorry, it's just my cheap pr!ckness coming out)

Ahh...New Hampshire is nothing more than an upside down Vermont!! Even the Old Man of the Mountains left!! There is really nothing more to see anymore!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Ahh...New Hampshire is nothing more than an upside down Vermont!! Even the Old Man of the Mountains left!! There is really nothing more to see anymore!
    Yeah, But I like NH better. Besides, there is no sales tax and that is all that matter.

Can't deal with the Socialist mentality of Vermont.

Then again, I live in the People's Republik so I can't really say much. Can't stand Mass either.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    You boys come to Wisconsin and I'll show you some piece and quiet and some really good fishing!!! Heck, I'll just do it for a case of beer, save your $300!!

Let the yuppies go to their "non-electric appliance" farms. I don't want people like that in my parks or woods anyway.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    Or you can go see the real thing in Maine... my parents just got indoor plumbing last weekend.
    About the only good things in Maine are:

Old Town Kayaks

L.L. Bean (my wallet just wants to be used sooooooooo badly when I go there)

Kittery Trading Post

Thread Information