Forum Member

Default Swissphone Pagers

Our department got a few for evaluation and I was choosen to try one out. I posted on the tech board so you can read my critical comments about them.

Has anyone here used them? If so please let me know the issues you had with them.

Thanks!

Forum Member

here they have swissphone,nice pagers and strong,lol.my relatives are paid on call firefighters,before they had motorola and they got some problems.

now with the swissphone,it seems to be ok.i could ask them for more details maybe.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Please do ask them, especially the chargers. We're a POC department as well.

I found more problems with these regarding the Silent Alert function. We put our Min III and IV on vibrate at night when we go to sleep, but we can still hear the dispatcher when we're toned. I tried this last night with the Swissphone and all it did was vibrate. There is no audible message in silent alert. So it's either have a tone startle you and wake you up everytime or miss the call.

Here is what I posted on the other board:

"Our department got a few RE629 and I was one of the receipents of this model. Overall, the pager itself is not bad. However, the charger design is hideous.

We're using the LGRA Professional Desktop Charger and the ergonomics are deplorable! The reach is counterintuitive when you're trying to go out the door and if you put on an antenna on the back of it you can forget about getting the pager out without slapping your knuckles against the antenna. To top it off they get stuck in the charger and I feel like I'm going to break it and/or the charger to get it out.

I've looked at swissphone's website and the basic charger looks better than this one. The Minitor amplified charger is much better ergonomically than either of these.

Can anyone else put their input in for these chargers? I'd like to hear other people's opinion."

Forum Member

ok all i can add,no chargers here,they have batteries,small battery=1.5 volts .it works well,it vibrates too and it rings but you can not listen to a message.just read it on the screen.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What is a Swissphone?

I have never heard of a Swissphone pager. In my opinion, the Motorola Minitor V is the best pager. They aren't the cheapest option, but they are rugged, have multi channel capability, scan, vibrate or audio options too. There are lots of programming options. The warranties are great, and I recommend the extended warranty package. I have had others in the past, but will never buy any pager but Motorola for our folks. Give a Min V a try.
    Glenn Rainey
    Colington Fire Department
    Dare County, North Carolina
    The Outer Banks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by achief15 View Post
    I have never heard of a Swissphone pager. In my opinion, the Motorola Minitor V is the best pager. They aren't the cheapest option, but they are rugged, have multi channel capability, scan, vibrate or audio options too. There are lots of programming options. The warranties are great, and I recommend the extended warranty package. I have had others in the past, but will never buy any pager but Motorola for our folks. Give a Min V a try.
    a link to swissphone pagers:

http://www.iloveradios.com/cart.php?...ct_list&c=3592
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

Forum Member

I personally like our Min III and IV's. We've been having problem getting pages. Some think it's the pagers, otherse think it's the transmitter. I'm in the latter crowd.

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe there is a long history of the 3's not alerting. we gladly got rid of them a year ago.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by achief15 View Post
    You must not be in the know!! FACT: 1 in 10 Minitor V's shipped is DEAD ON ARRIVAL. To me, that is not quality!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by quint1officer View Post
    I believe there is a long history of the 3's not alerting. we gladly got rid of them a year ago.
    Did you stick with Motorola or did you do something else as far as pagers? We need to start replacing ours but with the price of the fives its not feasible at this time for us.

MembersZone Subscriber

We went with Min5's. there was an issue with a whine when they were in the charger. M replaced the chargers and batteries, and they're working fine for 9 mos now. Very pleased with them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    You must not be in the know!! FACT: 1 in 10 Minitor V's shipped is DEAD ON ARRIVAL. To me, that is not quality!!
    Someone must have gotten our 5 dead ones then, since we got 50 that functioned fine, short of the charger whine.

Forum Member

Well, I found another problem yesterday.

Our department is toned out by dispatch that has our department and another department on the same base frequency. We have one set of tones and they have 3.

If you have the Min's on scan you can hear their tones go off and listen to their runs without the Min's beeping and vibrating. If it's not on scan you only get our tone when it goes off.

Well yesterday I had the swissphone on non-scan, so it should tone just our department. Well, twice yesterday it goes off but it's not for our department. It's for the other department. After the first time I checked and make sure it's not on scan and it wasn't. So it's not "operator error."

This brings the list up to 4 serious issues with these pagers.

1, Charger Design
    2, Charger Ergo
    3, Silent Alarm Function
    4, False alarms on non scan.

Forum Member

Problems 3 and 4 sound like a programming issue.
    Jon
    FF/EMT
    Communications Trainer
    IACOJ

Forum Member

That's what I've been told so I am holding judgement. However I found another problem.

After the tone goes off and the record feature starts it's supposed to turn off recording after 30 seconds, but leave the mic open so we can hear people responding, just like the Minitors do. The problem it's not stopping after 30 sec. It keep going for 4 min. Your instinct would be to hit the execute button and stop the recording. Problem is when you do that you close the mic and can't hear anyone responding. We're supposed to shut down going code in our POV's to the station if our unit is staffed and responds. Nothing looks more dumb then running code past your own unit going the other way, but that's eexactly what will happen because we can't hear them respond.

I already wrote a evaluation paper on these concerns and my chief just shook his head. I told him if you ever ask and engineer for his recomendation you're going to get a paper. Don't complain when you ask me to check something out.

Quote Originally Posted by sfdffemt17 View Post
    Problems 3 and 4 sound like a programming issue.

Forum Member

here the pagers are different,no microphones,so you can not hear the people,but just read the type of call you will have to respond.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

Forum Member

Well I tested it more tonight with the other department since the swissphones are toning us out for them still. I let the pager record and it stopped recording after a minute, not 4 as I said earlier, however it didn't leave the channel open, so I couldn't hear them respond. I hope this can be resolved with software. This is a serious issue if I can't hear anyone respond.

Forum Member

i had a Min 2, turned it in for a 3, missed 2 calles and wendsday test. swaped it for a 4, heard one call, then just plain died. went back to my old 2, have had no problems for the last few years. im not realy looking forward to when we go to UHF had all dept. in county get Min 5's. they seem ok...but im not too impressed. my old 2 is tough as a hammer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty27 View Post
    i had a Min 2, turned it in for a 3, missed 2 calles and wendsday test. swaped it for a 4, heard one call, then just plain died. went back to my old 2, have had no problems for the last few years. im not realy looking forward to when we go to UHF had all dept. in county get Min 5's. they seem ok...but im not too impressed. my old 2 is tough as a hammer.

Thats what I am thinking. We have radio issues here and sometimes the Min IV's and Min V are really staticy and the Good old Min II work the Best. I have a Min II SV and wont give it up untill I have no Choice

Forum Member

the old min 1 was a good pager too, problem was they were as big as a protable radio! i have one in my truck wired into the base charger as a kind of mobil scanner, works great that way

Forum Member

Well, I handed in my final evalaution and what needs to be done to make them useable.

1, Charger Design <-Nothing the local rep can do about this, just poor design.
    2, Charger Ergo <-Nothing the local rep can do about this, just poor design.
    3, Silent Alarm Function <-Awaiting to hear if this is a software fix
    4, False alarms on non scan. <-Awaiting to hear if this is a software fix
    5, Channel not remaining open after page <-Awaiting to hear if software fix.

Items 3,4 and 5 have to be fixed to make them useable. If they can't fix those problems then thank you, here's your pager back.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB35 View Post
    Well, I handed in my final evalaution and what needs to be done to make them useable.

1, Charger Design <-Nothing the local rep can do about this, just poor design.
    2, Charger Ergo <-Nothing the local rep can do about this, just poor design.
    3, Silent Alarm Function <-Awaiting to hear if this is a software fix
    4, False alarms on non scan. <-Awaiting to hear if this is a software fix
    5, Channel not remaining open after page <-Awaiting to hear if software fix.

Items 3,4 and 5 have to be fixed to make them useable. If they can't fix those problems then thank you, here's your pager back.
    I was just kinda scanning the old forum posts when I found this post. I'm working for Swissphone and wanted to let you know that all these issues have been fixed for years now. It was mainly about adjusting our 5-tone pagers to 2-tone in the U.S.. You can always get a demo at www.swissphonena.com to test it yourself.

Thanks,
    Michael

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by koechler View Post
    You can always get a demo at www.swissphonena.com to test it yourself.

Thanks,
    Michael
    But no lo-band?

Forum Member

I looked closely at the Swissphone pagers and when polling the mutual aid association, all voted for the Motorola V's. We ordered 130 and had five with issues.

I also noticed that those who developed some problems later were those who wore them on their belts in working conditions that were not the most kind. The battery case seems to wear and gives some reduced sound quality. We got nylon cases for the pagers and that seems to have solved the problems.

Programing is often an issue with any pager depending upon who does it.

Thread Information