Thread: West Hartford

Forum Member

Default West Hartford

West Hartford has its application out for firefighter.

I had a couple of questions if anyone knows.

Top step for pay?
    25 years for retirement? @ what % of pay and does it include overtime?
    Health bennies after retirement?

thanks for any info

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info

MembersZone Subscriber

Taken from the town of west hartford web page: http://westhartford.org/TownServices...ighter2007.pdf

Forum Member

The new guys will be on a tiered contract. 25 years to retire with full bennies and age 50. pension is calculated to be 2 1/2 % a year including OT but not exceed 85% of your base salary. Also there is a cola for the new guys.

Starting pay is $51,298 plus 12 holidays
    Top step will be in the mid $70k when you get there. (Our contract hasn't been negotiated that far)
    We have 5 steps (Equal to 5 years)

Full health care bennefits for retirements and their families.

FF II & Paramedic are prefered but not required. Rumor has it they are trying to save money by skipping the accademy. We do not currently run a paramedic service.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Forum Member

Thanks Keith. Sounds like a sweet heart dept to work for. Seems if you havnt gotten your cpat before theres no time allowed to get it for application deadline.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

Too bad I don't have my CPAT card yet :-( Otherwise my app would already be in.

Forum Member

The cpat thing is going to be an issue. I would put in the app in anyway and attach a note stating you have an appointment for x date. I think they will find a very small pool of candidates otherwise. They posted this test with no chance of anyone obtaining a cpat card in the allotted time. I'm not sure if they realize that or not.

Leather Forever

Quote Originally Posted by KeithA8 View Post
    The cpat thing is going to be an issue. I would put in the app in anyway and attach a note stating you have an appointment for x date. I think they will find a very small pool of candidates otherwise. They posted this test with no chance of anyone obtaining a cpat card in the allotted time. I'm not sure if they realize that or not.

I called Human Resources the other day. Since I am taking the CPAT in November. The person I spoke with said no dice on applying without a current CPAT card. We will have to see how the whole thing pans out

Cheers
    Matt

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KeithA8 View Post
    The new guys will be on a tiered contract. 25 years to retire with full bennies and age 50. pension is calculated to be 2 1/2 % a year including OT but not exceed 85% of your base salary. Also there is a cola for the new guys.

Starting pay is $51,298 plus 12 holidays
    Top step will be in the mid $70k when you get there. (Our contract hasn't been negotiated that far)
    We have 5 steps (Equal to 5 years)

Full health care bennefits for retirements and their families.

FF II & Paramedic are prefered but not required. Rumor has it they are trying to save money by skipping the accademy. We do not currently run a paramedic service.

keith what do you mean at age 50? And what is cola for the new guys?

Forum Member

Default cola...

I think cola means a "Cost of Living Allowance". Def seems like a really great department to work for.

Forum Member

Our last contract was tiered for the new guys hired after 2005. They must have 25 years and be age 50 to receive all the retired benefits. This is not an issue for most people unless you get on before you are 25 years old. Most guy stay 25-30 years anyway. Our pension max's out at 30 years. The new guys have a cola which we do not have. What that means is that you will continue to get a raise every year after you retire. Your max pension will not excede 80% of your base salary. Mine is 95% but I don't have a cola.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. is there alot of opennings?

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like a really decent set-up. Does anyone know if they are putting a list together just to have one to draw from or if there are any actual or anticipated openings?

Forum Member

I'm not sure how many they will hire. We currently have 4 vacancies.

West Hartford is a GREAT dept to work for. We don't get the fires Hartford gets but everthing else considered it's a great job!!! We run 2 engines, 3 quints and a battalion chief out of 5 stations. Fantastic benefit package, top pay, many promotoinal opportunities. Promotions include driver, Lt, Capt, BC, Lt mechanic, Capt of training. We run a 3 days on - 3 days off - 3 nights on - 3 days off schedule. Which equals to a 42 hour week. Four person companies.

Forum Member

If you are serious about getting on the job anywhere, you would already have your CPAT.

What is your current top step?

How many OT's do you avg./year?

Are you paid straight time or 1.5?

Forum Member

I believe current top step is 64.

Forum Member

How about call volume? Fire load?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default WHFD Info

A friend of mine is one of West Hartford's Battalion Chiefs. I ran into him the other day and he said there are currently 2 openings and 1 or 2 more in the next few months. As far as the CPAT goes, they are doing exactly what New Britain did last year. You must have a CPAT card WITH your application turned in by the posted deadline. If you don't have one or you are not signed up for the test this coming week you are SOL.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTJAKE View Post
    If you are serious about getting on the job anywhere, you would already have your CPAT.
    I would like to second this statement. It helped me out alot when I was testing. I was just about to take it a second time as most departments only honor it for a year. But it will definatly help you all out in being prepared for any dept. that tests.

Forum Member

are they just looking for paramedics?

Forum Member

We don't currently run a paramedic program and no such thing has been negotiated with the union. BUT, rumor has it that city hall is interested in doing a study to see how much revenue will be generated from it. Like every other town in this country West Hartford is having its budget problems too and this is one solution that has come up. Will it ever happen? I don't see it in the near future. I hope one day we do take it over. That is why they are prefering paramedics but it's not required. They also prefer Firefighter II so they can save money by not sending anyone to the accademy - this is also not required. I would encourage anyone with a cpat card to apply because I don't feel they will have many candidates who will have all three.

SmokeEater,
    I don't know who you talked to but we have 4 vacancies right know and have had 4 for a while. In my opinion they will hire at least 4 right away. There is a potential for more to be hired off of this list before it expires. A few guys are talking about retirement in the next couple of years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Keith I ran into Neil the other day and he told me that there was only 2 confirmed vacancies and 1 potentially two more in the near future. I'm just passing on the information that he told me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dropped my app off on Friday, the woman in HR said there were 4 openings and that there was a considerable amount of applications thus far....

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Written Exam

I received my invitation to the written exam yesterday.

There are three testing times on 10/30 with roughly 75 people scheduled for each time. HR confirmed they are only testing on this one day so the initial candidate pool would appear to be about 225 people.

Best of Luck Everyone...

Forum Member

Default 30 minute written...

It does not seem to bad considering it sounds like a great city to work for based off what has been said about the department.

I have taken a couple different written tests, and I have not seen or heard of one that is 30 minutes long. It seems short... Has anyone else taken or heard of this?

Thread Information