Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Transferring Certs

Anyone know how to transfer IFSAC certs to state certs???

Forum Member

look up the State fire marshalls office of the state your interested in..

some states all you do is send in the IFSAC certs ex. FF1 FF2 and some money then they send you the state cert...

other states allow you to take a test and recive the FF1 and 2

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up IFSAC vs State certs.

I noticed that FireDawg posted a URL without an explanation. If you are familiar with how IFSAC does business, you'll know that not all states are IFSAC states. This is because they (the non IFSAC states) haven't either kept up their certificate assembly membership or never became a member. The non IFSAC states have chosen to state certify their FFs and have set up certain classes that each FF should take.

Setting up as a non IFSAC state hurts both the state and the FF. The state loses because IFSAC represents a valuable networking tool and quality assurance model of FF qualifications. The IFSAC tests are designed to make sure the FF taking the test knows his/her job well enough to pass the test. Think of it as being similar to ISO. You know that industries with ISO certs pass stringent tests on Quality Assurance and Compliance.... IFSAC is the same.
    Not getting IFSAC certs as a FF doesn't necessarily reduce the ability of the FF or their ability to do their job. But, not having IFSAC certs. hurts the FF should they move to an IFSAC state or DoD activity. In the job application process, that non IFSAC FF will have to prove their equivalent training and qualification to the IFSAC standard.

In regard to the state recognizing the IFSAC certs. You should have no problem if they are an IFSAC state. If they are not an IFSAC state, they are definately familar with IFSAC and should have courses of action in place to accept the IFSAC certs. First, you have to be on a fire department roster in that state. Then you have to contact that State's Fire Marshal and see what you need to do. Some states might require you to take the final exam for the cert. level that you have from IFSAC. I have a buddy who went from Missouri to Illinois and his time in service was recognized and his certs. transferred too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gregvloh View Post
    Setting up as a non IFSAC state hurts both the state and the FF. The state loses because IFSAC represents a valuable networking tool and quality assurance model of FF qualifications. The IFSAC tests are designed to make sure the FF taking the test knows his/her job well enough to pass the test. Think of it as being similar to ISO. You know that industries with ISO certs pass stringent tests on Quality Assurance and Compliance.... IFSAC is the same.
    Here in California (non IFSAC state). The California Fire Training System excedes any IFSAC certifying classes. Just to get your FF1 is around 500 hrs. There is other classes lumped in to the academy to become FF1 qualified besides structure only unlike IFSAC FF1. Trust me when I say when it comes to testing assurance here. Anyone of the fire academies being held are just like any tower that a proby goes through when hired. Lots of physical fitness, testing and maliputive skills have to be performed. Getting your Fire Officer and Chief Officer certs here. There are like close to twenty classes (top of my head) you have to take to achieve them. No way that California being a non IFSAC state is hurting any firefighter out here.

I do agree that if you are a Federal Firefighter and if you want to jump around to different dept. or planning on testing in a state that goes off IFSAC certs or recognizes them. Then they are good to have.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg34 View Post
    This should be a sticky, thanks for the link

MembersZone Subscriber

So whats the situation with non-ifsac states......some have steps you can take to meet their equivilant's but an out right cert transfer is out of the question, correct?

Forum Member

Chaves,

I can tell you I worked for DOD in CA and I already had my IFSAC FF1 and 2. When the Chief tried to get my CA state FF1 we had to go through a bunch of hoops. If I remember it correctly, we had to send photo copies of the IFSAC NFPA 1001 FF1 and FF2 testing booklet, which shows every skill you have to perform, and also submit photos of me actually performing those skills. Any skills that I had already performed did not have to be done again. However, CA has more requirements, so there were still plenty of skills I had to do. Once the CA FF1 packet is signed off (about 13 pages and 400 hours) the Chief submits the scantron application, a signed letter and the fee. He will also have to get a Fire ID number which says your department is recognized in the state of CA. That part is easy, it is just dept info with geographical location, number of personel, area you respond to, and paid or volunteer). Basically, the FIre ID number gives the CHief the authority to sign off on the CA state FF1 packet.

Hope this helps,

Kev

MembersZone Subscriber

Default IFSAC Certs to State Certs

KY will accept the IFSAC Firefighter 1,2,Awareness and Ops for the State Firefighter Certification Requirements for Levels 1 and 2.

Michigan will allow you to challenge the state test only if you are affiliated with a Dept and pay a fee. Last I heard, the fee was about the same as tuition to the academy.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Michigan will allow you to challenge the state test only if you are affiliated with a Dept and pay a fee. Last I heard, the fee was about the same as tuition to the academy.
    What a racket!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Thread Information