MembersZone Subscriber

Question MiR weight vest quality

Has anyone purchased an MiR brand weight vest? They appear to be similar in desing to the short style vests sold on weightvest.com, but are substantially less expensive as priced on Ebay. I'm wondering how they compare in terms of quality, durability, etc.

Forum Member

Got a pic?

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

I actually just bought this vest. I should have it in a day or so. I'll let you know how it is.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

I actually went ahead and ordered the 60lb. vest. Hopefully it will be of decent quality. The weightvest.com products are clearly held in high esteem; judging by their resale value on Ebay, at least. Nonetheless, I really couldn't justify paying 40%-50% more for the same basic product. Maybe I'll regret that, but hey, it's got to beat loading a backpack with sand, right?

Let me know what you think of your MiR vest and I'll do the same. Seems like the topic of weight vests comes up periodically around here, so someone may find the information useful in the future.

Thanks again,

droopy

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, I got in today, and my first impression is that its a good quality vest. Of course this is the first one I've owned so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I'm with you...I can't spend that much on weightvest.com either.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got mine today too. Same first impression--seems very sturdy, fairly easy to adjust, and the fit appears comfortable (at least for the 10 minutes I had it on--will have better idean after the workout tomorrow...doubt I'll be too "comfortable" after that). Ordered it Friday and it came today. Shipping was free and pretty quick considering I'm in Alaska. Not sure about yours, but for the information of anyone else ordering from this company, my shipment came in two USPS Priority Mail flat rate boxes, so don't be too concerned if you only get half a vest (unless is doensn't arrive the next day!).

Incidentally, I'm guessing USPS didn't have 30 pounds of weight vest in mind when they designed those flat rate boxes!

Good luck with your training. I've got about 90 days until my CPAT, so should have plenty of time to adjust to putting out maximum effort under all those pounds.

Forum Member

Im glad your happy with your vest!

I personally have the 50lb weightvest.com Vest and am Super happy with it!

I really think it is what gave me the edge in the CPAT, I passed (my first time) with more than 2 minutes to spare (IIRC)

The workout I felt best with performing with the vest were just regular squats! - And if you can, get on a step mill ASAP with it.
    Also: If its any comfort, I didn't get my vest until 14 days before my CPAT (I had been training for 3 months before that) but due to some unexpected bills, I couldn't afford mine until right before my test, and I still passed - All I can suggest are Squats and Stepmill! (I did 30 minutes step mill training twice a day for 14 days)

Ive been going on walks after work with it on, I'm going to start jogging with it next week.
    Last edited by r3ydium; 08-30-2007 at 04:45 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, shipping was super fast, and came in two boxes. Its a good vest. I would recommend to anyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ditto. One caveat, however: after a few days of use, there is one potential negative I've noticed. I'm a stout-ish sort of body type--5'9" with a 44" chest. The vest is perfect for me, especially for any upright cardio. work, which is probably the most important feature. That said, any exercise that require a full-range of motion with the shoulders can cause some interference with the vest. Overhead work and, particulary, exercises that require a narrow grip or hand placemet for people with a lean build will almost certainly lead to some interference with the vest.

The problem is that there is really no way to adjust the width of the vest. The width of my 60lb. model takes the edges of the chest portion of the vest out just past the edge of my pectorals (chest muscles). This means any exercise where my arms are narrower than shoulder-width forces my upper arms to chafe against the edges of the vest/weights.

All that said, this is a great training tool and worth the investment; particularly considering the savings as compared to the weightvest.com product. Nonetheless, I would recommend that prospective buyers who have a thinner than average build, and who plan to do extensive upper-body work with the vest on, consider buying a vest with a narrow design, such as the basketball trainers offered on weightvest.com.

Just my $.02.

Great Item, Unbeatable customer service. would definitelydo business again

Thread Information