Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default USAF contracting out bases?

A Marine crash crew buddy returned from Iraq after spending a tour with WSI on contract and hasn't been able to find a job. He just told me today he was offered a temporary contract position at Whiteman AFB or Holloman AFB. What's up with that? Are they replacing military FFs that deployed, or is it permanent?

The impression I have is that they are getting rid of Active Duty Air Force stateside and contracting the active duty slots or going GS. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Forum Member

He should apply for Wackenhut fire jobs in the United States. I know NASA is protected by them. I would hope he would already have an in, sence he is already employed by them.

I believe the temp position he was offered will place him on a priority hire list for future spots. He would think that once he makes the list he will be a for sure for a permanent offer down the road.

Stay safe,

Kev
    Last edited by arff42; 08-23-2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: my info is wrong

Arff42,

Right now, he's been told that to get hired into a DoD slot he needs a minimum of EMT and Driver/Operator pumper. He has also been told that preference for full time is going to medics and hazmat techs. Any idea if any of that is true?

I don't know what is going on. Some are saying the AF is going contract, but my active duty counterpart is loosing a bunch of GS slots. It seems to me that the new guidelines are saying that we need less FF to do the job
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Deleted....
    Last edited by Firecontract; 04-05-2010 at 07:59 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Deleted....
    Last edited by Firecontract; 04-05-2010 at 07:59 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Deleted....
    Last edited by Firecontract; 04-05-2010 at 08:00 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Deleted....
    Last edited by Firecontract; 04-05-2010 at 08:00 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Contract FF's

MARTINTH...

You are correct in stating that stateside bases are not going to go all contract, however, the majority of the stateside bases are looking to go civilian (GS or whatever the new code is). As you may or may not know, the Air Force is cutting 40,000 jobs beginning this year. In that 40K, there are an estimated 1/3 of military firefighters that will either be "force shaped" or retrained. From the intel I have gathered, the plan is to keep civilians in the stateside bases and bring the military overseas where it is more cost effective to deploy them in various regions.

Have you wondered why the military positions are getting lesser and lesser in the states? The only positions I think you will see eventually regarding military firefighters in the states are the upper management. Basically it comes down to responses and deployments. The Air Force looked at the numbers and said why are we paying overtime to civilians and claiming the need for excess positions when the responses are not there. We can reduce or move positions around on vehicles, limit their movement (cuts down on maintenance costs), meet response times with fewer personnel while relying on recalls and off base support, and still accomplish the mission both at home station and downrange. That's where the 1/3 cut initially came into view.

Thanks for the word gents.

Forum Member

Default GunnyV

EMT is probably the most important. I also know that a lot of bases hire at the GS 6 or 7 level. So DO Pumper and Haz Mat Tech are needed. Another nice one to have is the Rescue Tech 1 or 2.

Also, I believe something was passed by Congress stating 0081 Fed fire civilian positions cannot and will not go to contract. Already existing contract positions can remain as is.

Stay safe,

Kev

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arff42 View Post
    He should apply for Wackenhut fire jobs in the United States. I know NASA is protected by them. I would hope he would already have an in, sence he is already employed by them.
    You dont know WSI. If you leave, laid off or what not they dont care. An in with them means nothing. I still liked working for them.

Default contracting

10 USC 2465 allows dod to contract out to backfill deployed military ff postions for up to 1 year.

Well, it all boils down to the whole steamlining the force as they call it. The new "plan" of doing more with less. Just this year alone 600 air force ff are not being allowed to re-enlist and from what im told its only going to become more so

Forum Member

Wackenhut doesn't cover NASA at least not Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Forum Member

I retired from wacky wonderful MDANG in 96 due to the drawdown of our unit before the DO certs even existed. My ever caring federal fire chief would not put me in when the window was open. I guess that drivers license never even existed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crashfirepm53 View Post
    Wackenhut doesn't cover NASA at least not Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
    Who covers Kennedy? Maybe it was for Cape Canavaral that Wackenhut covers, but I thought that was the same location as Kennedy.

I am pretty sure Wackenhut covrs NASA Ames and Jet Propulsion Lab in CA.

Stay safe.

Default Nasa

Wackenhut is the primary contractor of Space gateway Support (SGS) at Kennedy Space Center. The new contract was awarded to Coastl Int. but it is being contested.

Default Cape Canaveral AFS

Wackenhut is the contractor for CCAFS asa of Oct 1, 08. Kennedy Space Center and CCAFS were one dept. but now split..... so much for saving the taxpayers money

Thread Information