MembersZone Subscriber

Question remember when you didn't have to be a paramedic to get hired?

I've been thinking very seriously about getting my medics license so that I have a better shot of getting hired. I'm currently a volunteer FF/EMT. Any info regarding duties as a FF/paramedic would be helpful. Also, any info from FF/EMT's on getting hired without having a medics license would be helpful. Thanks a bunch.

Forum Member

Look at your major cities, most are civil service and don't require any pre-req training. Should they want you to be a medic, they will send you.

If you are hoping to get on a smaller city or a township, might as well get that medic card. Its bad here in central ohio, everyone and their mother and brother and uncle is a medic firefighter when they apply for jobs, so there are hundreds of applicants for each position. Columbus is the only one that truly doesn't care what you have.

Forum Member

I disagree with the above. A surplus of FF/paramedics? Your region must be in the minority of this country. I'd say that's great if it's the case, but I know there are a great many places who won't touch a guy without EMTP (even with such a shortage everywhere). I also think a department will be less likely to send someone to medic school versus taking a medic & making him a firefighter. The time & cost involved with sending folks for medic is ridiculous, and when you find a department that loves to send people there please post it for everyone!

Just my $.02
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kghemtp View Post
    I disagree with the above. A surplus of FF/paramedics? Your region must be in the minority of this country. I'd say that's great if it's the case, but I know there are a great many places who won't touch a guy without EMTP (even with such a shortage everywhere). I also think a department will be less likely to send someone to medic school versus taking a medic & making him a firefighter. The time & cost involved with sending folks for medic is ridiculous, and when you find a department that loves to send people there please post it for everyone!

Just my $.02
    We do have a surplus of ff/emtp's, and your point is the same as mine, most departments won't touch you w/o a firefighter/emt-p, the problem is, the majority of the applicants are firefighter/emt-p's here, so just having that doesn't mean a whole lot.

In this area, you can plan on about a 5 year process from the time you start fire school, continue to get your p-card, to getting hired full-time. Even then you must be at the top of your game and be one of the best. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we're all sweet here, there are definatly turds that slip through the cracks just like anywhere, but it is VERY competitive here.

Forum Member

Competitive is good! At least with what you're describing there is a great pool of paramedics to choose from, compared to the regions that lack enough of 'em to the point that departments take people JUST because they're medics. We couldn't even get crappy medics to apply on our department because none of them were eligible for work in the fire service. Instead, we got a couple Intermediates & a couple Basics in Intermediate class.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Thread Information