MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hook and Ladder - where did it come from

Yes ive done a search, but no help yet.

For a class the other day, someone asked where the term "Hook and ladder" come from. I have heard a story about where it came from, but I have never really heard any other ideas where it came from.

Do any of you guys know where the term came from? If you could, send me a link with were you found it. Damn these rookies these days .
    Your a daisy if you do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure where you can find it.........I'm sure you did, but what about Google? It has everything.

"Hook and ladder" is pretty simple, the term is because the truck carried hooks and ladders. Steamers were the equivalent of teh modern day pumper, hose wagons carried hose, and hook and ladder trucks carried, you guessed it, hooks and ladders. Back in those days the equipment was very simple, they didnt have all of the gadgets and widgets we carry nowadays, Right Harve?
    I dont think it is anything more complicated than that, maybe someone has more information to elaborate.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

I found this in wikipedia: "In some areas, the turntable ladder appliance may be termed a 'hook and ladder' vehicle, as it will carry an array of ladders and hooks. Ladders have fairly obvious purposes; hooks can be used for a variety of things, but most commonly for pulling drywall or plaster walls away from framing members to expose hidden fire, and to allow access for extinguishing same. Hooks can also be used for pulling siding, breaking windows, etc. Technically, any vehicle carrying hooks and ladders could be considered a hook and ladder vehicle."

And according to the Firehouse subs menu thier Hook & Ladder sub consist of:
    Smoked Turkey Breast and Virginia Honey Ham smothered with Monterey Jack and served “Fully Involved”

Hope that helps some.Here is the wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_apparatus

Forum Member

A San Francisco Senior Fireman in college explained it to me this way. There used to be metal rings on homes at the tops towards the eaves. When these homes started to burn it was easy for a single structure to burn and become a large scale incident where the whole block of homes was involved. Companies would arrive on scene and were able to use hooks on there apparatus to pull the entire home down to essentially create a fire break. Now keep in mind these homes were made of materials such as straw, wood, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    A San Francisco Senior Fireman in college explained it to me this way. There used to be metal rings on homes at the tops towards the eaves. When these homes started to burn it was easy for a single structure to burn and become a large scale incident where the whole block of homes was involved. Companies would arrive on scene and were able to use hooks on there apparatus to pull the entire home down to essentially create a fire break. Now keep in mind these homes were made of materials such as straw, wood, etc.
    this is 100 percent correct, good info!

Thread Information