View Poll Results: What brand of helmets are the most dependable?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cairns/MSA

1 100.00%
  • Bullard

0 0%
  • Morning Pride

0 0%
  • Paul Conway/Lion

0 0%
    Forum Member

Question What are the cheapest prices for helmets?

(self explanatory)

Forum Member

what are you looking for .... salad bowl or traditional ... if traditional do you want plastic or leather
    Last edited by Bvfa23; 08-24-2007 at 02:40 PM.
    These opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Does your department lend you gear to use during drills and stuff? Do the give you your own set? They should. Even if you have to share gear its not worth buying a helmet. If you have your heart set on buying one, before you do talk to the captain and advisor's of the post, as some departments will only let you wear department issued gear for legal reasons. If they say yes you can buy a helmet think "what else could I spend $300 on." How often will you use the helmet and will it be worth your money? You could get a lot of stuff with what you would pay for a good helmet.

And if they say yes ask them, does it have to be identical to the ones the other explorers are issued, so you all look the same on the fire ground.

My advice-DON'T buy your own helmet, at least until your off probation for a few years!

and I don't mean explorer probation.

Edit-

AND, what are you going to do with a helmet if you don't go and get gear to go with it??
    Last edited by jacklrd; 08-24-2007 at 10:09 PM.

Forum Member

You don't need to buy a helmet. If you do need one they will loan or issue you one. Take that 300 dollars and put it in savings. Save up for college. That will help you become a firefighter better then looking like a wannabe and owning your own helmet. Even if you do get a helmet the department that you get hired with may not allow it to be used. There goes 300 dollars.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member

[QUOTE=t0asty;854743]You don't need to buy a helmet. If you do need one they will loan or issue you one. Take that 300 dollars and put it in savings. QUOTE]

And if you absolutely can't stand it and have to spend that kind of money on something fire service related use it to start building a good library of texts such as the IFSTA Essentials manual, "Building Construction for the Fire Service" or "Collapse of Burning Buildings"....spending money on something to expand what's in your head instead of buying something to sit on top of it will take you a whole lot farther...

Banned

Shouldn't the question be what is the best helmet? Not so sure I want to put a cheap helmet on my head.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=KnightnPBIArmor;854857]
    Quote Originally Posted by t0asty View Post
    You don't need to buy a helmet. If you do need one they will loan or issue you one. Take that 300 dollars and put it in savings. QUOTE]

And if you absolutely can't stand it and have to spend that kind of money on something fire service related use it to start building a good library of texts such as the IFSTA Essentials manual, "Building Construction for the Fire Service" or "Collapse of Burning Buildings"....spending money on something to expand what's in your head instead of buying something to sit on top of it will take you a whole lot farther...

but you need to protect your head to keep what is in therein there......
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Moose2028;854879]
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightnPBIArmor View Post

Once you become a line firefighter you do...as an explorer he/she should be in the "learning and growing" mode, not "look at the cool lid I'm sporting" mode.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Moose2028;854879]

Here 5 bucks http://www.discountsafetygear.com/disagerahaha.htmlShould keep your head safe. You can even get them in the same colors as fire helmets!

It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jacklrd View Post
    Does your department lend you gear to use during drills and stuff? Do the give you your own set? They should. Even if you have to share gear its not worth buying a helmet. If you have your heart set on buying one, before you do talk to the captain and advisor's of the post, as some departments will only let you wear department issued gear for legal reasons. If they say yes you can buy a helmet think "what else could I spend $300 on." How often will you use the helmet and will it be worth your money? You could get a lot of stuff with what you would pay for a good helmet.

And if they say yes ask them, does it have to be identical to the ones the other explorers are issued, so you all look the same on the fire ground.

My advice-DON'T buy your own helmet, at least until your off probation for a few years!

and I don't mean explorer probation.

Edit-

AND, what are you going to do with a helmet if you don't go and get gear to go with it??
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

[QUOTE=t0asty;854939]
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose2028 View Post

Here 5 bucks http://www.discountsafetygear.com/disagerahaha.htmlShould keep your head safe. You can even get them in the same colors as fire helmets!
    Funny you should post that, Toasty; that's EXACTLY what they issued my post when I was an explorer back in the 80's, right down to the same color...

Forum Member

ok guys now that you lectured him on why not to buy a helmet at least answer the question. At least he is looking fore a cheap one. So maybe instead of wasting $300 he could waste $150. If he wants to buy a helmet let him. But if you want him to waste less money answer his question.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LKQVFD512 View Post
    ok guys now that you lectured him on why not to buy a helmet at least answer the question. At least he is looking fore a cheap one. So maybe instead of wasting $300 he could waste $150. If he wants to buy a helmet let him. But if you want him to waste less money answer his question.
    Well, I guess that all of the banner ads for the various gear vendors on Firehouse's site have completely gone to waste...plus I figure any youngster with the wherewithall to navigate an internet forum would be saavy enough to use Google or browse eBay. I also note that in lecturing us on lecturing him you yourself failed to answer his question as well....

Forum Member

My $.03... don't buy a helmet if you don't have to.
    Please accept this advice from someone who was basically forced into buying a brand new helmet after he left his Post/Dept.-issued Ben 2 on the roof of his car while loading his gear to go to drill. Hence, the Ben 2 is gone and I had to spend $184 on a 1044... but I got to be honest, I do like the 1044 a little better than the Ben 2... but I'm not going into that...
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LKQVFD512 View Post
    Well you only have 1 head, so why waste money on the cheapest? Why not get the best? Back in my dirt bike days I spent $100 on a helmet while other guys spent $20. Funny how the $20 helmet would split in half and I used the $100 helmet for several years. Believe it or not, for the most part you get what you pay for. Here is an excellent helmet for $141 http://1onscene.com/1onscene2/shopexd.asp?id=261

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    Well you only have 1 head, so why waste money on the cheapest? [/url]
    He is an Explorer...he SHOULDN'T be in a position to have to worry about whether his head is protected or not. That's real smart: spend $141 for a helmet he really shouldn't need instead of spending it on something like a text that can help him through his entire career, but then I guess I have to consider whose giving the advice.

Banned

He is an Explorer...he SHOULDN'T be in a position to have to worry about whether his head is protected or not. That's real smart: spend $141 for a helmet he really shouldn't need instead of spending it on something like a text that can help him through his entire career, but then I guess I have to consider whose giving the advice.
    Every explorer post I have seen the Jr.s are wearing turn out gear to train and practice in. Of course, if he gets hit in the head while training and suffers permanent brain damage then he won't need the book either.

Forum Member

Every explorer post I have seen the Jr.s are wearing turn out gear to train and practice in. Of course, if he gets hit in the head while training and suffers permanent brain damage then he won't need the book either.
    1. And that gear is usually issued by the sponsoring department. If it is not, then having a fundraiser to earn the money is an excellent service project for the Post or Juniors to be doing to teach teamwork and community involvement, something they should be doing anyway.

2. If they are involved in training that is that potentially hazardous then whoever is the adult sponsoring them needs to have his backside kicked anyway.

3. A youth that is Explorer/Junior aged has plenty of other things he should be spending $141, $300 or whatever denomination of his own money on, if not putting it up for savings. At that age I would have much rather have put it towards my transportation and getting around.

I don't know why I waste the 5 minutes of my life it took to type this...because I should know by now that you are nothing but a crap-stirrer and whatever the conventional wisdom in a thread is, you're going to regurgitate just the opposite to stir said crap...

Forum Member

2. If they are involved in training that is that potentially hazardous then whoever is the adult sponsoring them needs to have his backside kicked anyway.

I don't know why I waste the 5 minutes of my life it took to type this...because I should know by now that you are nothing but a crap-stirrer and whatever the conventional wisdom in a thread is, you're going to regurgitate just the opposite to stir said crap...
    There's a lot training that my post does that's "potentially hazardous." Some if it's not just training, it's setting up our waterball cable, but then there's the car fires we do at our Mock Disaster and drills we do that involve spraying water (i.e. target shot practice for musters.) I don't know about you all, but when I'm around our waterball cable (that has very high tension on it) I like to have my helmet and eye protection on... when were doing target shot or other similar drills with hoses, I like to have my eye protection/helmet on. Two years ago at a muster, I was playing waterball and I guess I didn't trust my team coach on telling me if I was going to go over the line and I took my head off the ball and looked down and brought the hose down with me and nearly took the opposing team's coaches helmet off his head... that was my 2nd game of waterball ever at that point and it was the first time I was ever on head nozzle. I learned my lesson and I'm very trusting of my coach/backup guy now. Ever since that day, I don't care if I'm just shooting water at a traffic cone on top of a foam bucket, I have my helmet and safety glasses on.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    There's a lot training that my post does that's "potentially hazardous." Some if it's not just training, it's setting up our waterball cable, but then there's the car fires we do at our Mock Disaster and drills we do that involve spraying water (i.e. target shot practice for musters.) I don't know about you all, but when I'm around our waterball cable (that has very high tension on it) I like to have my helmet and eye protection on... when were doing target shot or other similar drills with hoses, I like to have my eye protection/helmet on. Two years ago at a muster, I was playing waterball and I guess I didn't trust my team coach on telling me if I was going to go over the line and I took my head off the ball and looked down and brought the hose down with me and nearly took the opposing team's coaches helmet off his head... that was my 2nd game of waterball ever at that point and it was the first time I was ever on head nozzle. I learned my lesson and I'm very trusting of my coach/backup guy now. Ever since that day, I don't care if I'm just shooting water at a traffic cone on top of a foam bucket, I have my helmet and safety glasses on.
    And again, if your department puts you in that position, THEY need to be buying the helmet, not expecting a teenage kid to shell out $100+ of his own money. And my position on this comes from being a former Explorer myself and now a Junior advisor.

Banned

And again, if your department puts you in that position, THEY need to be buying the helmet, not expecting a teenage kid to shell out $100+ of his own money. And my position on this comes from being a former Explorer myself and now a Junior advisor.
    Actually, I don't believe anyone should be buying anything on their own. However, the initial post said nothing about buying a helmet. He just wanted to know what the cheapest helmet was. The young lad could just be looking for information for conversational purposes.

And along the lines of buying stuff. I have seen guys that go out and buy flashlights, and helmets and gloves, Blue Lights and all kinds of stuff. And they aren't juniors. I guess if someone has money to spend they are going to buy whatever they want.

Forum Member

Understood.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Found the cheapest helmet that will protect your head. 5 USD too http://www.discountsafetygear.com/disagerahaha.html And he or she should have money left over.

And I would like to say to Explorer343 like others have said. You can get more from your money if you buy books. instead of gear. Any other questions you would like answered.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bvfa23 View Post
    what are you looking for .... salad bowl or traditional ... if traditional do you want plastic or leather
    Traditional leather.

Forum Member

i want my mellon protected its worth the $215 for the cairns 1044
    Stay safe

Never Forget 9-11-01

Thread Information